Is this animal a fox? yes!

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
:tongue3: I feel sort of dumb asking but it looked so weird when I first saw it just hanging out in the road that I thought it was a chupacabra or something else very strange :D

But now looking at the pictures I think possibly a fox that is sick with mange? Or it just hit me .. maybe the onset of rabies? It was not as afraid of me as it I would have expected and actually seemed interested in me. Then ran when I took a couple steps toward it.

Seen on a road in the Southern Adirondack region of NY.

hvean8.jpg

fz6ljd.jpg

2i6pdud.jpg

148enh1.jpg

S

stefen

Re: Is this animal a fox?

My bad, its a Coyote mangy Red Fox (or a Chupacabra in drag)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bramblefind

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE

wow! Never seen one before. Heard them though.

Is it unusual for them to be out in the day?

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Where I live we see them (coyotes, that is) daily especially on trash day.

Have a problem with them locally snatching leashed dogs on the streets. Will jump 8 foot fences to grab house cats and small dogs from yards.

Apparently they can be found in most states, but are more common in the SW and Western states.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bramblefind

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Re: Is this animal a fox? Coyote!

Thanks Stefen :icon_thumleft:

I think a pack of them got my cat a few years back :-\

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

whoa!!!!I promise you that is a Fox....Red Fox to be exact and either is in its summer coat or has Mange.
I control coyotes for a living,trust me on this one,I will put my paycheck on it!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bramblefind

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE

kuger said:
whoa!!!!I promise you that is a Fox....Red Fox to be exact and either is in its summer coat or has Mange.
I control coyotes for a living,trust me on this one,I will put my paycheck on it!!!!

:D Okay! :icon_thumleft:

I think it must be sick... it was unusual that it didn't run from me right away.

Thanks! :wink:

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It does look as though it has Mange,which is not uncommon,and the most cruel diseaese a wild animal can have....especially during the winter!
I caught a Red Fox on an Endangered species protection project with The Federal Fish and Wildlife Service,that had the mange so bad...amongst other conditions,the Fed.Biologist that was with me actually called in the Hazmatt crew to get it so it could be tested....we honestly couldnt tell what it was and it actually did look like a Chupacabra!!!By far the worst case I ever seen.I wish I would have taken pictures

Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kuger is correct thats a, looks mangey, red fox...d2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bramblefind

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE

kuger said:
It does look as though it has Mange,which is not uncommon,and the most cruel diseaese a wild animal can have....especially during the winter!
I caught a Red Fox on an Endangered species protection project with The Federal Fish and Wildlife Service,that had the mange so bad...amongst other conditions,the Fed.Biologist that was with me actually called in the Hazmatt crew to get it so it could be tested....we honestly couldnt tell what it was and it actually did look like a Chupacabra!!!By far the worst case I ever seen.I wish I would have taken pictures

My Mom's dog had mange once and I think somehow it was spread to him by a fox. Then I actually got it on my hands from the dog! Had no idea what it was for a long time - finally got the right cream for it. It was awful!

I can't believe I am admitting I had mange here :laughing7:

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bramblefind said:
kuger said:

My Mom's dog had mange once and I think somehow it was spread to him by a fox. Then I actually got it on my hands from the dog! Had no idea what it was for a long time - finally got the right cream for it. It was awful!

Yea,its actually a mite,odd that you contracted it as the mites dont prefer human flesh.They feed on the hair follicles.I had a hound get Sarcoptic Mange from a Coyote.....boy that was something to get him rid of!!Nasty!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bramblefind

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE

kuger said:
Bramblefind said:
kuger said:

Yea,its actually a mite,odd that you contracted it as the mites dont prefer human flesh.They feed on the hair follicles.I had a hound get Sarcoptic Mange from a Coyote.....boy that was something to get him rid of!!Nasty!!!

yes I was a special case ::) The doctors were quite surprised too. But once I explained about my Mom's dog and we checked the time I had contact with him it all made sense. Nasty is right!

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Does mange make the bushy tail of a fox (or coyote) get skinny like that? No wonder people think it is a candelabra. Any cartoon you watch, the fox has a huge bushy tail. Happy Harmonica.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High Plains Digger said:
Does mange make the bushy tail of a fox (or coyote) get skinny like that? No wonder people think it is a candelabra. Any cartoon you watch, the fox has a huge bushy tail. Happy Harmonica.

Yes,thats usually the first indicator when seen at a distance.I have seen animals with the only hair on there bodies being the tuft on the tip!

Note also the fox's tail in the OP's pic,note the white....versus coyotes generally have a Black tip

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....also for Stefan,assuming you are from Southern Calif,the Red Fox is not native to Calif.and is only present in small pockets along the coast.Red Fox do not normally prey on cats,def. not small dogs however the coyote does,and in So Cal. has no issue in attacking people.I have done a lot of work down there on coyote/human incidents.Our Native Grey Fox does LOVE HOUSE CATS,and can go up a tree like a monkey!!

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
kuger said:
....also for Stefan,assuming you are from Southern Calif,the Red Fox is not native to Calif.and is only present in small pockets along the coast.Red Fox do not normally prey on cats,def. not small dogs however the coyote does,and in So Cal. has no issue in attacking people.I have done a lot of work down there on coyote/human incidents.Our Native Grey Fox does LOVE HOUSE CATS,and can go up a tree like a monkey!!

I had a grey fox as a pet when I was about 10. Little John was as faithful as a pup and loved to go fishing with us. It lived here under my Aunts home and kept the rattle snakes at bay....She was very dear and loved to run along and leap into the air and catch grasshoppers. I have wanted another one but hubby says there is no way to keep one even raised up around chickens...he says it will revert back and start killing them...A neighbor had and adult female but he wouldn't let me bring her home. They make the cutest little barking noise and are really, really sweet. Little John (who was a female) could indeed run right up a tree. When I got her she was really little and had the rickets in her front legs. We feed her carnations powdered milk and all the fish and bugs she could eat...it wasn't long before we couldn't keep up with her.

WOW!!No kidding?Thats cool!First time I heard the sound they make as cute!!LOL!!A huge # of my Mt. Lion calls are indeed someone hearing that crazy sound the Grey Fox makes.Hard to beleive that sound would come from a little critter like that!I have raised coyotes,bear cubs,bobcats and raccoons and your hubby is right,there natural instinct never goes away....may be dormant but its there.

Upvote 0

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
I called animal control Sunday for a fox kit about two or three months old.

It too was sitting in the middle of the road and definitely sick, mangey.

The reason I called was it was trying to get into a fenced soccer area with kids.

Animal control said they would send someone out Monday with a trap. :icon_scratch:

In days gone by we would have just shot it, not legal now though. wth :dontknow:

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NaturalJWL said:
I called animal control Sunday for a fox kit about two or three months old.

It too was sitting in the middle of the road and definitely sick, mangey.

The reason I called was it was trying to get into a fenced soccer area with kids.

Animal control said they would send someone out Monday with a trap. :icon_scratch:

In days gone by we would have just shot it, not legal now though. wth :dontknow:

Yea,nice how that works!!Let the Gov. handle it for us....thats the way it will be handled :thumbsup:The Gov. makes me feel so soft and fuzzie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread