Is this authentic?

kfinegan

Jan 12, 2010
Hi everyone, first post in a new forum so be gentle :)

I'm working with an eBay consignment store, looking to sell a few knick-knacks for a kindly old gent whose grandfather was heavily into collecting old coins, stamps & other curiosities. One of the things that's in his stash is a small pewter button with the letters "USA" sort of linked to each other like a chain. Just from looking a bit online it seems that this was a common Revolutionary War button design, but the button is in such great condition compared to the examples I've seen that I'm skeptical of calling it authentic. Here are some pictures:

Does this look like a replica, or could it be authentic? I'd appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,
KF

Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It sure looks good. You might also ask William Leigh at civilwarbuttons.com

OP
OP
K

kfinegan

Jan 12, 2010
Thanks, I'll try both suggestions.

The seller has no idea about the origins of the button, he just found this along with some other miscellany among his grandfather's things and brought it to us as an alternative to throwing it away (Which is a good thing, because we've already found some valuable stuff in there.) We've already found some historical items that I could verify as authentic, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for this to be as well.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vague, "I don't know", responses are a clue about the seller and his goods. "My grandfathers collection", "My husbands death or divorce", Most of these people know what they have, and what it is worth. "Caveat Emptor" Hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at images of your button and other authentic USA buttons, side by side, I would have to say the one you have IS authentic. Everything really matches up well. JMO. This is a well kept relic. Obviously not a ground found piece. The best I've ever seen! I'm not an expert. The Troiani site would be the place to go. Send him an E-mail. Hogge

lrgcent

Sep 8, 2010
Tioga County, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Pistol Probe Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, That's a super find, Good One :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread