Renerio Cenabre

Nov 13, 2018
Cavite
Detector(s) used
Makro Jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day,

One of my known TH Friend recently told me that they have found 120+ gold bars in 40 feet deep and asked if I know some gold buyers. I asked him photos of the item and he sent me this picture... Could this be real or fake? Because I didn't really saw an actual gold bars. If anyone familiar with gold bars please help me identify this.

Attachments

• IMG_20220201_164658.jpg
    IMG_20220201_164658.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 640

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Years Sir
Online, or in person?
There is a difference in my books.
The online folks are just that online.
99.5% I will probably never meet, or know anymore than what is written by them.
Gee I have known some folks for 15-20yrs and I have no idea who they are actually.
Now a real life friend of that time I can say we've shared a many good facts, and we know a whole lot about each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Online, or in person?
There is a difference in my books.
The online folks are just that online.
99.5% I will probably never meet, or know anymore than what is written by them.
Gee I have known some folks for 15-20yrs and I have no idea who they are actually.
Now a real life friend of that time I can say we've shared a many good facts, and we know a whole lot about each other.
Good point, Pepper. I have known you through this site on internet for a few months now, but until recently I thought you were just a very articulate cat.

Upvote 1

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day,

One of my known TH Friend recently told me that they have found 120+ gold bars in 40 feet deep and asked if I know some gold buyers. I asked him photos of the item and he sent me this picture... Could this be real or fake? Because I didn't really saw an actual gold bars. If anyone familiar with gold bars please help me identify this.
How much do they weigh and how much does he want for them, Renerio?? I may know someone interested.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I see you are from the Philippines. Please take the advice of a "foreigner" who did some "treasure hunting" in your Country. There are so many scams and schemes involving Gold that you need to be suspect of everything. It is impossible to tell from a picture if it is real gold as you would have to examine it closely. The infamous "Mindanao Lead sandwich" ...lead covered with a thin layer of gold and Marked "SUMATRA" comes to mind. So scraping a sample that tested positive would not even be proof. You would have to xray the bars or saw them in half. Good luck ad be careful.
First thing that camr
How much do they weigh and how much does he want for them, Renerio?? I may know someone interested.
I wonder what the going rate per pound of lead is nowadays?

Upvote 1
May 8, 2013
Tempe, Az
Detector(s) used
Sharp shooter, and some Harbor freight back up.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day,

Get a beaker that has mili-liter marking on it. Fill to a know level. Then place bar into it. Can you the amount of water it displaces as a exact volume. Volume and the density of gold should be able to calculate to weight base on Volume and density of gold. Then actually weight the gold and see if they match. Thing is to find a tall breaker glass cylinder with accurate marking on it that that bar will fit in to. Will tell you if it has other metal in the middle or something off. https://www.xetra-gold.com/en/gold-news/twelve-ways-to-check-the-authenticity-of-gold/
https://bullionexchanges.com/learn/test-gold-real, Each one would have to be verified.

Upvote 3

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't they also drill a small hole in the bars and test the drillings ?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a beaker that has mili-liter marking on it. Fill to a know level. Then place bar into it. Can you the amount of water it displaces as a exact volume. Volume and the density of gold should be able to calculate to weight base on Volume and density of gold. Then actually weight the gold and see if they match. Thing is to find a tall breaker glass cylinder with accurate marking on it that that bar will fit in to. Will tell you if it has other metal in the middle or something off. https://www.xetra-gold.com/en/gold-news/twelve-ways-to-check-the-authenticity-of-gold/
https://bullionexchanges.com/learn/test-gold-real, Each one would have to be verified.

Unfortunately, the test you're suggesting is not going to be good enough for many of the fake bars being produced these days. They usually have a tungsten core and a gold veneer.

Gold has a density of 19.3g/cc, compared to tungsten at 19.25 so, given that at least some of the fake bar will usually actually be true gold, density comparison is a close-run thing. The test will of course pick up crude unsophisticated fakes, but it's not a wholly reliable discriminator.

An expert laboratory with more sophisticated equipment than you could readily obtain for home use might (but only might) be able to determine a fake from a density check alone. For that reason, it's not the only test used to determine authenticity.

Although the ultimate test is to drill into it, it's not necessary to use destructive testing of that kind if you have the right equipment and know how to use it. There are several expert tests which can be used for smaller gold ingots (up to about 500g) but, beyond that weight, ultrasound is generally the preferred reliable non-destructive testing method.

Upvote 1

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't they also drill a small hole in the bars and test the drillings ?
Yes it can be drilled to know if it's solid gold in it's core, if you look at the photo of the fake bar that was posted by Red-Coat you can see 2 holes drilled into it, drilling is the most common way to determine if a gold bar is real or fake.

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it can be drilled to know if it's solid gold in it's core, if you look at the photo of the fake bar that was posted by Red-Coat you can see 2 holes drilled into it, drilling is the most common way to determine if a gold bar is real or fake.
Thank you Au Seeker

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread