Is this knife a "New, old drop" or has it been in the creek since the 1970's ?

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this knife a "New, old drop" or has it been in the creek since the 1970's ?

Hey guys! Happy new year! I started out the year with a cold creek walk with my daughter! I'll post a link to a 1 minute vid. Shows the creek, and me actually recovering the knife. I saw it, ran up to it(got soaked in the process, lol) and for once thought to grab my camera! I didnt snap any pics in the creek. I'm hot on the trail of my 1700s cabin site, but that's a whole other post. One I will post when I find the site and can prove it lol. I know this knife is worth like $10 in pristine condition, dont care. My biggest wonder is whether you guys think this knife was being carried by a modern day fisherman? Or do you think this could have been in the river for literally 50 years or more? I would think the shell of this knife would liquefy under water. I'm leaning towards a recent fisherman, with a vintage knife who dropped it. I will say I am surprised at the condition of some relics that come out of these creeks and rivers though... almost as if they are preserved at times. A busted Phillip's milk of magnesia with a patent date of 1906 and a random cork top from a small bottle my daughter found as well. Mama is gonna keep the pretty blue bottle even though it's broken, this kids got a killer eye though! The knife is currently getting my personal treatment for any old knife and appears that it will be a great user in the end! Probably end up on my etsy page... maybe in my tackle box lol. If you watch the video, you will see the main blade has some snap right out of the water! Marked made in Germany... good steel lol. Nothing major, but a fun little day on the creek! You cant beat that to start a new year! Happy hunting and a happy new year to all!

20200101_181051.jpg
20200101_181102.jpg
20200101_180658.jpg 20200101_180704.jpg 20200101_180718.jpg 20200101_181946.jpg 20200101_182002.jpg

Upvote 15

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your knife is a cool find but, I believe that it is a recently dropped item. JMO.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an unlucky fisherman lost a good knife not too awful long ago.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd take a useable new old drop over the crusty chunks of rust that used to be cool knives I usually find.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post you 2 did well . The plate on the knife should have a name and you coul research it a little and get a date most likely thanks for the Vid and the cool post. Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice knife find. Cool old bottles! Looks like a great place to water hunt! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all! It was a fun hunt and as was stated, I'll take a useable find over a nasty old relic any time lol! I did research the knife, though I already knew most of its history anyway just by the style etc. These type knives are still being made I'm sure, but these "shell knives" were most prevalent in the 1950s-1970's. The sad thing about this one, it does NOT have solid bolsters. Those are higher quality but this German made version is a fine piece for the price... especially free Haha! This knife was dated to the 1960s-1970s and I'd say the later side of that. I agree with all about this being a recent drop, but like I said, I have seen lots of things come out of te water in GREAT shape. Really blows peoples minds. This is a GREAT place to hunt believe me, and you all will see many more posts from this area. This is the same mill site I found the huge salt glazed pottery and some native American artifacts as well as pontiled bottles and other early signs. I'm really hoping to score a civil war spot as the creek is literally a stones throw away from a LARGE winter civil war camp. I'm sure there was lots of traffic to the creek and mill etc. The hard part is finding undeveloped spots and then finding the owners to get permission when it's off my permitted ground. The day I find a minie ball, will be my goal. The 1700s cabin site is what I'm actively looking for, but I plan to find some signs of the civil war eventually. Also, a side note. Especially for guys who live and hunt real backwoods areas... the CRAZY signs that say "DANGER police shooting range" and other crazy things arent always wrong. I never took pics of the old gate and sign about the range at the end of this trail sadly. But, recently they opened up another several hundred feet to the public. I'll be d@#%=d if there isnt a short shooting range at the NEW "end of the road" passed the City "no trespassing signs". I was never planning to trespass, but I thought the signs were bull, lol! No bull! 20200101_155122.jpg 20200101_155131.jpg
Just something that made me laugh. And reminded me why I always get permission and let the property owners know when and where I'm hunting lol. Happy hunting!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I agree, the knife has not been lost for to long. Not enough rust or corrosion.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
found one like that, seemed like it was green or red back in the late 60s in a river. wasn't a high end knife but still a decent knife

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread