Is this Knife old? What type of metal?

Scorpio_queen6

Jun 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI! I recently found this knife, along with some old bottles, dampers, forks, shotgun shells, etc. The knife is really heavy for its size. I was able to polish up the metal blade easily with some steel wool. The handle is very solid. Cant tell if it is stone or some type of metal that has been pitted over time. The blade is magnetic but the handle is not. I am not sure if it is an old hunting knife or kitchen knife. Cant seem to find anything similar to it online. Please let me know if you have any ideas on the type of knife and possible age of the knife.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7549.PNG
    IMG_7549.PNG
    865.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7548.PNG
    IMG_7548.PNG
    828.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7547.PNG
    IMG_7547.PNG
    893.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7546.PNG
    IMG_7546.PNG
    927.9 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its an odd one... but not that old IMO. looks like kitchen knife of some sort.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I'm not sure it would be specific to the plant nursery industry, I had one given to me by a nurseryman years ago. It was a stainless blade with aluminum handle. Those materials would withstand some time buried but the one you found is in pretty good shape even if made from those so I"d suspect it wasn't underground very long. Aluminum and stainless steel will both still degrade and corrode but at slower rates than carbon steel. He told me they used them because of all the nitrates they worked around and they held up fairly well.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
HI! I recently found this knife, along with some old bottles, dampers, forks, shotgun shells, etc. The knife is really heavy for its size. I was able to polish up the metal blade easily with some steel wool. The handle is very solid. Cant tell if it is stone or some type of metal that has been pitted over time. The blade is magnetic but the handle is not. I am not sure if it is an old hunting knife or kitchen knife. Cant seem to find anything similar to it online. Please let me know if you have any ideas on the type of knife and possible age of the knife.

Thanks!

Looks like the knife that was issued with the US Army mess kit of WW1.

il_680x540.2011035103_3xmy.jpg

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the knife that was issued with the US Army mess kit of WW1.

il_680x540.2011035103_3xmy.jpg
I thought about the mess kit knife too but couldn't see a stamping on the op knife. Those were pretty deep marks that I thought should show up...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread