Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

Platinum is around eight times the density of aluminium, twice the density of silver and almost twice the density of lead, so you wouldn't have too much trouble making an 'in-hand' judgement about whether it's platinum, aluminium or something with a density between the two.

You haven't told us anything about its properties. Is it attracted to a magnet and, if so, how strongly; was it tarnished when you found it (ie have you cleaned it); how hard is it (can you scratch it with a pocket-knife, piece of window glass, 'copper' coin etc)?

A locality would also help in determining whether naturally-ocurring native metals are likely to be found in that area (versus something man-made).

OP
OP
F

Fratta

Nov 7, 2022
Welcome to Tnet

Platinum is around eight times the density of aluminium, twice the density of silver and almost twice the density of lead, so you wouldn't have too much trouble making an 'in-hand' judgement about whether it's platinum, aluminium or something with a density between the two.

You haven't told us anything about its properties. Is it attracted to a magnet and, if so, how strongly; was it tarnished when you found it (ie have you cleaned it); how hard is it (can you scratch it with a pocket-knife, piece of window glass, 'copper' coin etc)?

A locality would also help in determining whether naturally-ocurring native metals are likely to be found in that area (versus something man-made).
its heavier than alum
It looks like melted aluminum.
melted aluminum in every rural stream i hunt in? hmmm maybe...i need a X-Ray gun out in the field

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to say probably not though I don't know much. But I've definitely dug up a ton of melted metal. It looks like some sort of slag or melted aluminum or another more dense metal exposed to a lot of heat. I see though signs of it being metal that melted. So not being a natural nugget it almost and I mean almost rules out it being anything relating to a precious metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread