Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rule #1 with wild critters, never trust them! even the mild manner critters can hurt you. Famous last words, Oh they can't do that or they never do that. if you don't respect their abilities, you may pay the price. I have seen very aggressive poisonous snakes, rattlesnakes (especially the ground rattlers), copperheads and cottonmouths but I have also seen a lot of them do everything to get away from you 1st. I have been sitting on the ground turkey hunting and had copperheads crawl within a foot of my foot as they moved to another area. Yeah, I was keeping a very close eye on them but they weren't interested in me. Been kicked very hard by deer and even head butted. I watched a very live turkey kick a man's butt all over the place before he could get away from it, so much for a live hand catch...laughed my butt off. my friend had large deep scratches all over his arms and face. I also watched a kid grab a feeding squirrel, he thought that since he had been feeding it, he could...nah.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
rule #1 with wild critters, never trust them! even the mild manner critters can hurt you. Famous last words, Oh they can't do that or they never do that. if you don't respect their abilities, you may pay the price. I have seen very aggressive poisonous snakes, rattlesnakes (especially the ground rattlers), copperheads and cottonmouths but I have also seen a lot of them do everything to get away from you 1st. I have been sitting on the ground turkey hunting and had copperheads crawl within a foot of my foot as they moved to another area. Yeah, I was keeping a very close eye on them but they weren't interested in me. Been kicked very hard by deer and even head butted. I watched a very live turkey kick a man's butt all over the place before he could get away from it, so much for a live hand catch...laughed my butt off. my friend had large deep scratches all over his arms and face. I also watched a kid grab a feeding squirrel, he thought that since he had been feeding it, he could...nah.

rule number 1. carry gun
rule number 2 . if you see one shoot it

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You also don't want to be 12-15ft up on a large branch retrieving a kite and see a mamma coon come out of her den on the same large limb. And then to see little ones follow her onto the branch is also not a good sign. That mamma coon made the most hideous sounds I ever heard in person. I understood EVERYTHING she was saying and was voted off the limb. My friend below said "just ignore her and get the kite". Getting off the limb took much less time then getting there! My friend on the ground is so damn brave. But, he didn't go get the kite either!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rawhide, forty years ago I was in my mother in law's garden and smelled cucumbers. I realized she hadn't planted cucumbers that year. I backed out of the garden slowly and never saw it! It was dusk and had to be very close.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One time years ago, I was prowling in the woods looking for early deer sign. I came across the very small coon on a small sapling. My 1st thought at the time was awe, how cute! I started to reach over to grab it but it immediately let me know what it was capable of doing to my hand. I decided that it looked better where it was at. Years ago, I could easily smell copperheads, the same with beavers but my sinuses have long since declined due to allergies etc.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Deadly snakes do not hunt humans or will they strike with malice . The would rather not engage with humans . The deadliest snake is the you don, see . With what I have just stated means potential risk is quite low . Is then just shooting snakes becomes indiscriminate killing .I protect under the law you may have a legal problem if caught. Copperhead down under is least of the deadly snakes . Tp

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a Smith Wesson Governor filled with number 6 high base. Very effective and almost impossible to miss a snake with it.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, Deadly snakes do not hunt humans or will they strike with malice . The would rather not engage with humans . The deadliest snake is the you don, see . With what I have just stated means potential risk is quite low . Is then just shooting snakes becomes indiscriminate killing .I protect under the law you may have a legal problem if caught. Copperhead down under is least of the deadly snakes . Tp

I don't kill any poisonous snake unless it's within 50 yds of our home and I live IN THE WOODS. I did make a mistake last year and totally regret it. The only reason I do is to "protect" our dogs and grandchildren as best I can. But in 24+ years I have NEVER came close to being bitten with all the copperheads and rattlesnakes around us. And I have seen 100's. Shooting just one is probably fruitless in the scope of them around us. But I try and protect them as best I can... but admittedly am failing in the entire scope of it all overall.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
20180624_095058.jpg

Get Er Done.
410, 45 Long colt
Works every time.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limitool, remind me to not move near you. I don't think we have as many around here as we used to.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I only know of two kinds of snakes around here, rattlesnakes and chicken snakes.

If he aint got a chicken in his mouth - he's a rattlesnake. :tongue3:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I caught a 3' milk snake in a basement a few days ago. He didn't give me any trouble, almost friendly. Then I went to my B-I-L's house to dismantle a pool. My wife says there's a snake in the yard, so I jump out of the pool and run to catch it. I look down and my first thought is (to my wife), "Did you let my snake go?" HELL NO she says, where was it? It was in a bag in the back of the truck. So, I catch this one and it immediately strikes at me. Then hits me on the side of the hand near my pinky finger. I was expecting pain, but didn't feel a thing. I few drops of blood from top teeth. I grab the bag in the truck and it's empty. The dang thing snuck out a hole no bigger than a AAA battery. Same snake, different attitude.
I wanted to get a pic of it, but didn't.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When considering buying a house I would recommend you avoid places called, Snakeville, Diamondback, or Serpent Town.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread