Itch weed ?

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went detecting in a nice mowed lot yesterday. I only hunted for about half an hour. Found a little clad. I did not wear my gloves.

I went near the back fence and dug a wheatie. All of a sudden my hands and arms and ankles started to itch. I had to quit. Terrible drive home. I took a shower and put on itch cream and it did go away after an hour or so. What the heck could it have been? Not chiggers, I have had plenty of them. All I can figure is the itch weed. It was mowed and the grass was very dry. Could they have mowed and ground it up? It was terrible, let me tell you. Would take the chiggers any time over them, and they are not fun,.

Anybody ever gotten into it?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RemediesSome plants and weeds have the effect of irritating your skin and causing a furious itching. Some people are more unfortunate than others and such itchy plants always affect them with far more ferocity than others. Reactions to these plants range from itching to blistering of skin and even swelling. You will find that the areas around your eyes and mouth and your private parts are more sensitive to the plants. In case of a mild reaction the itching and the swelling or the rash may subside in a week. But for more severe cases of itching, the agony could prolong for longer.Washing the affected parts of your body with cool water will give you relief. Hold the affected part under a tap and wash well. Don't rub hard or pinch or scratch the rashes. Apply some aloe vera juice over the rash. This will instantly cool you down. You can also try rubbing some common salt over the affected areas. Remember not to rub this in hard, do it gently. Another easy remedy is to use the inner side of a banana peel on the affected parts. If your skin is itching badly, pour three cups of oatmeal into a large basin of water. Submerge the affected part of your body into this and use the oatmeal to scrub. This will help you reduce the itching.

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RemediesSome plants and weeds have the effect of irritating your skin and causing a furious itching. Some people are more unfortunate than others and such itchy plants always affect them with far more ferocity than others. Reactions to these plants range from itching to blistering of skin and even swelling. You will find that the areas around your eyes and mouth and your private parts are more sensitive to the plants. In case of a mild reaction the itching and the swelling or the rash may subside in a week. But for more severe cases of itching, the agony could prolong for longer.Washing the affected parts of your body with cool water will give you relief. Hold the affected part under a tap and wash well. Don't rub hard or pinch or scratch the rashes. Apply some aloe vera juice over the rash. This will instantly cool you down. You can also try rubbing some common salt over the affected areas. Remember not to rub this in hard, do it gently. Another easy remedy is to use the inner side of a banana peel on the affected parts. If your skin is itching badly, pour three cups of oatmeal into a large basin of water. Submerge the affected part of your body into this and use the oatmeal to scrub. This will help you reduce the itching.
Well, when i got home I took and shower and lathered up with clothes detergent. Then used regular soap. Works well for chiggers, I have found. As far as not touching, impossible. I scratched like crazy til I made it home. Thank God it seems gone now. A couple of larger welts on my arm, but otherwise gone.

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You appear to have had a mild reaction to whatever you came in contact with, be happy that it is gone, the next time may be worse, But the most important thing is you shower a sap.dont forget to wash your digging tools and anything else you touched.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itch weed ?

I smoked that once I think...

Oh wait... that was "ditch weed" :P

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditch weed? Ditch weed! Yeah that was real popular back in 72 in northern Caddo County OK, hahaha! OJG I don't know your country but you probably got into some sort of a plant from the thistle family. If you're out in the field and get an insect bite or bad itch, look for plants that have a square stem and rub the leaves on the area. It will kill it for a while. (Square stems indicate plants of the mint family. Horse mint, verbena, sage, wild mint, etc.) Always works for me, anyway.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what it is or why! I had the same type thing as a kid bailing hay for a farmer a couple of summers.There were days that you went home itching like crazy, red, and scratched up. Then there were other days it wasn't bad. Heat, how dry it is,all that stuff maybe? Or you just had a reaction to a plant, like mentioned above.:dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you ran into some mowed up Poison ivy/oak/sumac. Got some on you and the sweat on your body reactivated it.

Whatever it was was mowed up. there was very fine dried up something on the top of the grass in the back. I don't think it was poison ivy. I have had that. Could have been anything. But, I am thinking nettle. Not much burning but itching like crazy. I will never detect without gloves again!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That stinging nettle can go through your clothes, and itches like crazy.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like "stinging nettle" ??? Maybe

I touched a nettle with my bare shin once back in the 80's..I still have a scar where that plant stung me.. Never forgot it!!! Any weed with spines on its leaves or stalk I give a WIDE berth!!! Don't ever want that HELL ever again!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions