Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew I’m sure Someone behind me will narrow it down or correct me but that looks like a 45 apc “type”round which I think came about 1910ish… I’d say the slug is modern… and again guessing because I know enough to be dangerous but wcc, western cartridge company?

Upvote 3

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As older the Better said, the cartridge is a .45 acp made by Western Cartridge Co. under contract to the US military. The "67" is the year of manufacture - 1967. The bullet appears to be a boat-tailed .223, though you would have to provide measurements taken with a micrometer and a weight in grains to get a positive identification. It appears that the very tip of the bullet is a different color than the rest of it. Is this because the gilding metal jacket ends short of the tip and leaves the lead core exposed? If so it shows that it is a commercial soft-point hunting bullet. If it is a fully jacketed bullet and the color difference is caused by paint, it is probably a military surplus bullet. What color is it? It appears to be black, which indicates an armor piercing bullet. This would be a very unusual thing to find, as the government has never released armor piercing ammunition as surplus. If it is green it indicates that it is from a standard ball cartridge. In any cases it is from no earlier than the early 1960s.

Upvote 3

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As older the Better said, the cartridge is a .45 acp made by Western Cartridge Co. under contract to the US military. The "67" is the year of manufacture - 1967. The bullet appears to be a boat-tailed .223, though you would have to provide measurements taken with a micrometer and a weight in grains to get a positive identification.

Upvote 4

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your .45 ACP has had the bullet shoved back into the case,it happens sometimes,but,the primer shows a firing pin mark which would lead me to believe someone purposely shoved the bullet in there.I don,t know why unless as a joke or during a period of idleness.The small bullet is most likely 5.56mm M855 green tip,it has a steel penetrator tip giving it the odd look.

Upvote 3

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a permission to metal detect a 1868 homesite. Found these items..a buckle, a bullet and some kind of pointed end.
Any info yall can give me on these items would be much appreciated. I'm curious as to how old they are and wondering what
the pointed end is. The 1945 wheat penny I found is for size :)
Spent or unfired cartridges can tell a story, too.
Fairly easy to research the date and maker of those shells - to supplement what you know about the use of the area. Keep diggin there...!

Upvote 6

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the penny for comparison picture id guess its a tiny bullet, hence the .17 hmr wag. I bought a brick of .17 hmr fmj a couple years ago but have never seen any since then.
Hard to find any ammo right now as you no doubt know. Some body,s got quite a stash packed away.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread