Items to keep a look out for

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The OP stated that "I pay into a TSP.........That is my retirement plan......people like to complain that Govt workers have access to so many benefits that are greater than....." I interpreted that as the OP saying that his retirement plan was the equivalent of a 401K & that Govt benefits aren't greater than the private sector. I might not have known what the various components of federal retirement benefits were called but I did know that the entire retirement plan of a federal employee wasn't the equivalent of a 401k so I called BS.

It's entirely possible I misinterpreted the OP. I definitely didn't clearly state my point in my response. To be clear, my point is that the package of federal retirement benefits is not the equivalent of a 401. I don't have a problem with someone that wants to compare a portion of the entire package to a 401k as long as they don't make the claim that the portion "is my retirement plan".

Im a Govt employee. I work VERY hard to earn my salary. In fact my actual day to day job is to save the Govt money (for acquisitions).
Not to mention, most Govt employees have not been on the pension system (called CSRS) since 1988 (I think, could be off by a few years). Most currently employed Govt workers who have been working for 25 years or less are on the FERS system. I pay into a TSP, which is basically a Govt 401k. I can pay up to 5% of my salary into an account, which the Govt matches. That is my retirement plan which I am both earning and paying at least 50% towards. I know people like to complain that Govt workers have access to so many benefits that are greater than what private industry offers. But, please keep in mind that most large businesses (and even some small) offer some sort of retirement plan (401k, etc) and some even offer traditional pensions and/or severence packages. Don't forget that private or public sector alike, all employees who have paid into Social Security are eligible to collect upon retirement. So the issues facing SS right now will affect both you and me alike.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to offend anyone, but these retirement posts are really off topic for this thread.
Might I suggest that one of you start a thread for your conversation?

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy Schmoley!! That is a great thing to know. I can't remember ever coming across one, but that is an excellent tip. I haven't yet found a real high value zippo lighter. Mostly seem to encounter the slim ones --- which are apparently worthless.

Here's another one I just came across - Blue Fire King pieces called "Delphite" ---- its kind of a light bluish gray milk glass like material. I've been buying and selling fire king Jadiete pieces for years, but never realized it came in blue as well. The blue ones sometimes sell even higher than the green ones. Mugs seem to be the best --- and the thicker the mug the better. These can be had at garage sales / thrifts for $1.00 or $2.00 (sometimes as little as .25 cents) and they sell from $45-150 depending on types.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vietnam Zippos are easy to spot and get good prices. They aren't the only lighters to watch for. The old Vue lighters are collectable and S.T. Dupont lighters are very expensive.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Schmoley!! That is a great thing to know. I can't remember ever coming across one, but that is an excellent tip. I haven't yet found a real high value zippo lighter. Mostly seem to encounter the slim ones --- which are apparently worthless.

Here's another one I just came across - Blue Fire King pieces called "Delphite" ---- its kind of a light bluish gray milk glass like material. I've been buying and selling fire king Jadiete pieces for years, but never realized it came in blue as well. The blue ones sometimes sell even higher than the green ones. Mugs seem to be the best --- and the thicker the mug the better. These can be had at garage sales / thrifts for $1.00 or $2.00 (sometimes as little as .25 cents) and they sell from $45-150 depending on types.

That sure made delphite sound awesome. In my experience it doesn't sell for that much or that cheap around here. It brings just enough money that you can't make any cash selling it online. And it is seen so infrequently, too.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I've sold hundreds of pieces of jadite in just the last few months. I'm always on the lookout for any of the collectible Fire King. Some sells well and some doesn't depends on what it is. As always, condition is everything. If it has a chip, fleabite or shows any wear other than a couple very light utensil marks that are hard to see, it won't command a good price.
Not that it really matters too much but, I don't believe Fire King made Delphite. The 2 solid blue colors they produced were Azurite and Turquoise. Delphite was a color produced by Jeanette, McKee and even Pyrex at one point I believe. I hardly find any blue colors down here. I have found a few pieces, but not many compared to the jadite. People list these colors wrong all the time, it's no big deal as long as you know what your looking at/for, which most collectors do.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure made delphite sound awesome. In my experience it doesn't sell for that much or that cheap around here. It brings just enough money that you can't make any cash selling it online. And it is seen so infrequently, too.

Bazinga - these are the ones too look for. We sold two to a Japanese buyer for $98 plus shipping.

2 Vintage blue Delphite Azurite D Handle Fire King Mugs | eBay

6 Vintage Fire-King Mugs Blue Turquoise Delphite D Handle | eBay

2 FIRE KING BLUE DELPHITE AZURITE D HANDLE MUGS | eBay

Diggumup - I took a quick look and it seems you are correcto on the names --- The blue fire king pieces were apparently never called "Delphite" by Fire King --- just an ebay phenom -- but it seems to do the trick.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found another old can of Rustoleum paint today. My first one was bought for $1 and sold for $11. I got this one for $1 too, but hope to do a little better as it seems to be an odd color - Cascade Green from 1973. Also got a cool old six pack carton with 6 Cott soda bottles from the 50s and 60s, we'll see how well that one does too. Thanks for looking

! Paint 1.jpg

6 pack 1.jpg

6 pack 3.jpg

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the 6 pack of Cott bottles only sold for $10, but the paint can did well, selling for $23.50. Not too bad for $1.00! So far I've found two old cans of spray paint, paid $1.00 each, and sold them both for a total of $34.50. Not getting rich on them, but they're definently worth keeping an eye out for. I'm working on learning about paperweights now, thanks to all of you for the awesome tips!

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of paperweights, i'll fill you in later on a type of paperweight to keep an eye out for. I have it on ebay, ends tonight. I only paid $1 for it. It's got 23 watchers and only 4 bids so far, but I got a good feeling.

PS- how did you ship your spray cans? Ground USPS?

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS- how did you ship your spray cans? Ground USPS?

No, I shipped them both from my office via UPS ground. We have the orm-d consumer commodity labels for shipping aerosols, so no problem with the paint cans there. I know they can ship out USPS parcel post, but the boss lets me ship them UPS from the office at our discounted rate, so I figure why take a chance on a hassle from the post office.

I'd appreciate any tips you could give on paperweights. And after reading up on that thread about the Rolex, I may just start looking at watches too. I see dozens of them on my Sunday flea market trips, I just don't know much about them. I think I'm going to study up on them for awhile- paperweights, watches and pocket knives too.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I shipped them both from my office via UPS ground. We have the orm-d consumer commodity labels for shipping aerosols, so no problem with the paint cans there. I know they can ship out USPS parcel post, but the boss lets me ship them UPS from the office at our discounted rate, so I figure why take a chance on a hassle from the post office.

I'd appreciate any tips you could give on paperweights. And after reading up on that thread about the Rolex, I may just start looking at watches too. I see dozens of them on my Sunday flea market trips, I just don't know much about them. I think I'm going to study up on them for awhile- paperweights, watches and pocket knives too.
The one I have listed is not a typical paperweight in the sense of most paperweights. I have a couple dozen glass paperweights but they aren't worth much. The best ones i've ever found are a Tiffany globe and a Whitefriars millefiori one, nothing too special. It's hard to find a high dollar paperweight, for me anyway. The best info I could give you would be to look at the completed listings on ebay and see what sells and what doesn't.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend is a civil engineer so at his office they almost have a battle for best and strangest slide rule. Ill give him what I find. Do you want the manual? Nope throw that away. :icon_scratch:

I think most paperweight collectors look for very small details to judge the quality. How the bottom was finished. Ground polished or melted in. How many bubbles are trapped. Lots of fine bubbles is usually not good. Its a little more subjective than other items. Each maker did have more iconic designs that go for a little more. The old Millville Paperweights seem to go well

The one I have listed is not a typical paperweight in the sense of most paperweights. I have a couple dozen glass paperweights but they aren't worth much. The best ones i've ever found are a Tiffany globe and a Whitefriars millefiori one, nothing too special. It's hard to find a high dollar paperweight, for me anyway. The best info I could give you would be to look at the completed listings on ebay and see what sells and what doesn't.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that we've resurrected this ancient thread, let me add a new and super random one: vintage cereal boxes from the 80's and older. Go to ebay and type in "cereal box" and then sort by highest price. Apparently there's a pretty strong collector market for some of them. Great for when you find that hoarder house that hasn't been cleaned in 40 years.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread! I picked up on vintage board games here. Scored one for a buck at a yard sale and sold it on ebay for close to $30 plus shipping.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Wow, thanks for the heads up on the cereal boxes. I had no idea. I doubt I'll ever find any, but then again, I wouldn't have saved them if I did. Now I will.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that we've resurrected this ancient thread, let me add a new and super random one: vintage cereal boxes from the 80's and older. Go to ebay and type in "cereal box" and then sort by highest price. Apparently there's a pretty strong collector market for some of them. Great for when you find that hoarder house that hasn't been cleaned in 40 years.
cool, I found this when I looked up vintage cereal box- Vintage 1960's Baseball Cards Mantle Mays Clemente Yastrzemski Cereal Box Cuts | eBay I have some of these, I forget how many but I know I have some anyway. Other than that all I have is a box of Flutie Flakes.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread