Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scouring the yard last night instead of pulling weeds, I came across yet another sardine tin. I was surprised at its condition, given the fact that I've never seen anyone eating sardines on the side of our house, which means it was eaten a long time ago. My guess would be around 1969, when the house was built.

I've found a few of these and have tossed them out. For some reason, I decided to try and find this one. I couldn't even find a picture of it anywhere on the interwebs, and I consider myself a pretty capable searcher. I found a hit on the text in a newspaper from 1970, but wasn't about to pay $ to see the image.

So basically, this is - by a long shot - the rarest thing I've ever found. And it's definitely going in the trophy case.

Reasonable offers considered.

sa.jpg

Upvote 11

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that company is still around. If not, I’ve seen a can at the store that looks a lot like it. I love eating sardines while kayaking on the creek. I prefer the ones with either hot sauce or include a hot pepper.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that old, I've bought those in that style tin before. They may still be on shelves in a store near you.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a small clue perhaps. The tins used today have little 'R' alongside the "Beach Cliff" wording, indicating that it's a registered trademark. Early tins don't have that. The trademark was registered in 1963, but the brand name was used unregistered prior to that (since 1929).

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that company is still around. If not, I’ve seen a can at the store that looks a lot like it. I love eating sardines while kayaking on the creek. I prefer the ones with either hot sauce or include a hot pepper.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are. For me, liking this tin is the closest I've come to liking sardines.

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a small clue perhaps. The tins used today have little 'R' alongside the "Beach Cliff" wording, indicating that it's a registered trademark. Early tins don't have that. The trademark was registered in 1963, but the brand name was used unregistered prior to that (since 1929).

Good one, RC! Also notice the spelling of the type of oil: "soy bean" as distinct words rather than the modernized "soybean," which they currently use.

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not that old, I've bought those in that style tin before. They may still be on shelves in a store near you.

They are still around, for sure, but a few things give this one away as being older - (1) no UPC marking, (2) no pull tab; and as RC mentioned, (3) no (r) trademark symbol.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Redcoat,the fount of knowledge!I have a can in my backpack,bought recently with the r marking.Good sardines in there too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread