🥇 BANNER Its where you end up sometimes

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It's where you end up sometimes

Sometimes where a hunt begins is not always where it ends. I'll attempt to make this a brief story.
Me and Iron Patch got to kick off our fall hunting today to celebrate his b-day today (ps he's old)lol
We made plans to hunt other areas of a site we discovered years before, it didn't pan out the way we wanted so we hit the road looking for a new spot. After discussing looking at few other old sites we've been to, we noticed a little field that was cut and ready that wasn't one we tried before. I talked to a guy whos family owned the property; he wanted me to talk about it with his father ,who was out of town til the end of the week, ok.
So, when leaving I gave the option of left or right to IP, he chose left and we hit a nearby field that we had detected a couple of times in the past; notable finds included some coins, buttons, musket balls and bullets, and my 12lb cannonball.

We had a couple of hours before dark to make our day happen. So just when the rain started I was very happy to pop out a little gem of a find!
A decent example of a McCausland penny, a local token from the early 1800s

A few of you Canadians out there may recognize this one from the coin books etc; but still it's a pretty rare one anywhere on the planet including here!
I think I blew out the candle on IPs cake when I told him about it but maybe he'll find something better on my birthday!
This is now my best one and is a true detecting prize!

The Bank of Canada Museum

Attachments

• maca.JPG
    maca.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 843
Upvote 37

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is awesome IH! Happy birthday IP.....I just found a killer coin and for your birthday I'm gonna let you look at it lol

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW your doing alright freestylin. When the books don't give a price, and just say RARE...that's a good sign...a VERY good sign.

Since it's only a slightly different spelling. I wonder if it's the same guy who had the other one made ?

"now my best one" does that mean you have another of the same ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
WOW your doing alright freestylin. When the books don't give a price, and just say RARE...that's a good sign...a VERY good sign.

Since it's only a slightly different spelling. I wonder if it's the same guy who had the other one made ?

"now my best one" does that mean you have another of the same ?

The idea of the spelling and possibly the attribution of the other token being produced by the same person had been mentioned before by some researchers on that subject; I'm unsure of their conclusion. Either way, both are rare!
Answer to second question , yes, four
Answer to unasked question, yes, I have the other one too!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron horse excuse my ignorance on your great find. I just did some research and that really is a hell of a find. I would say that it should be on the banner. If I'm mistaken and it's not what I think it is please correct me. Fantastic find buddy

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Iron horse excuse my ignorance on your great find. I just did some research and that really is a hell of a find. I would say that it should be on the banner. If I'm mistaken and it's not what I think it is please correct me. Fantastic find buddy
You probably got it right
Some might call it a grail find or a find of a lifetime, I think it's both of those and more
It's the kind of thing you see at auctions going for $$$$, I'm happy to pay gas and battery money for mine

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I voted Banner on it bud. God knows it certainly is a way better find than lots of things that go up top. So you have my vote. It's both scarce and it's valuable. Sounds like a winner to me. Great find.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also had to do some research and wow! That's an excellent find. It deserves a spot on the banner so you have my vote.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find, Ironhorse! That's the first time I've even seen that one. :)

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm tired and stopped for a look, why don't one of you wiz kids do me the favor of educating me on this, so I don't have to research it. Feeling very lazy at this time of night. Maybe in the morning I can read what it is (I'm very green, just a babe in the woods here)

Congrats on the great find, judging by the caliper of people voting I'm going in blind and you get my vote!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome find! Congrats!

I finally get to vote banner for something!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
For an idea of value, one was listed this past june at auction with a start bid of $4,500.oo, with an estimate of $7,000.oo

It was in about the same condition.

McCausland Penny token PE-2. - Canadian Coin & Currency

In the auction world too, it's where it ends up, that one went unsold for good reason, first , that was asking too much for that one
Keep in mind that mine was dug and has corrosion,so although it has issues, it's not worth $7k, perhaps still four figures

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someday I might write out the entire sad story! :laughing7: But today I'll just be focusing on editing my want list because there is no point!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For an idea of value, one was listed this past june at auction with a start bid of $4,500.oo, with an estimate of $7,000.oo

It was in about the same condition.

McCausland Penny token PE-2. - Canadian Coin & Currency

There's a bit of a push and pull on these because the prices have definitely gone up over the last decade, and obviously condition counts for a lot, but I know for the Holy dollars pedigree plays a roll so that may be the case for some of these as well. On top of that, that particular coin is from the Ford collection, and with a value at over 60 million it's very likely he had one of the best.... and even just being from his collection adds to the value so the price might not really be out of range. I know from previous searches he had another one too and think you picked the higher of the two.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread