Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For many years, I detected our Florida beaches with various Minelab detectors set up in a custom 3 tone setting based on low, mid and high conductive targets. This combination served me very well over those years in the Minelab world so when I bought the Deus 2, I programmed Beach and Beach Sensitive the same way--3 tones. However, in my on-going effort of transitioning to the XP world, I quickly learned that the Deus 2, being the sophisticated detector it is, was apt to be more chatty on a saltwater beach if not set up properly beyond just my 3 tone solution.

After experimentation with sensitivity, salt sensitivity, reactivity, silencer, bottle cap rejection and discrimination, (more options than I was used to with the Minelabs,) I was able to stabilize it to what I thought was at least a somewhat satisfactory level...again in 3 tones.

But thanks to some educational exchanges with Calabash Digger and Savannah Harps, I was introduced to the Deus 2 Square Pitch option. Coupled with the right levels of discrimination and silencer settings, this set up is essentially a nuanced 2 tone program. Since I always dug both the mid and high level tones of my 3 tone set up anyway, this wasn’t all that much different in terms of dig/no dig decisions except now there was the same tone frequency for all non-ferrous targets.

Although still in the early stages of learning the finer points of this Deus 2, I’m impressed with the square pitch option. These settings hit good targets hard and ID’d bottle caps and ferrous targets much better than my original 3 tone option. Additionally, it proved to be far less chatty on my Florida saltwater beaches than the 3 tone set up.

Bottom Line; I’m a square pitch convert. If you’re a Deus 2 saltwater beach hunter also, I recommend you at least give this set up a try.

My preferred baseline settings for saltwater beaches in Beach and Beach Sensitive are now:

Discrimination 6.5 and Silencer 0: both recommended by Calabash

Square Pitch: recommended by Calabash and reinforced by Savannah Harps

The remainder is a combination of situational needs determined through on-site experimentation, testing and actual use and finally, personal preference.

Adjusted as conditions require:

Sensitivity: 95

Salt Sensitivity: 7

Reactivity 0-1.5

Personal Preference:

Notch: Off (Gold falls anywhere along the mid level spectrum so I never notch out anything.)

Bottle Caps: 3

Iron Volume: 3

Audio Response: 5 or 6

Audio Out: 9

My next step is finding the best combination of settings for detecting 19th century artifacts in fresh water. I’ll start my search with square pitch in a custom Park program—but only actual use in a fresh water environment will tell the tale.

Just the view from my converted beach front foxhole. Your analysis and conclusions may differ.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, now if they'll just come out with the 13" or bigger coil.............

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't follow... 3 tone, pitch, and square (wave) tones are three different things. What is "square pitch"?

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
When you select pitch, you can then go to expert and select either PWM or Square. Personal preference in how the pitch tone sounds:

PWM
PWM is the traditional XP sound that you would have known on I or the wired range.
It is dynamic and informative through its wealth of harmonics that vary according to the amplitude of the signal and therefore giving the operator a good indication of the depth or size of a target.
SQUARE
Square has fewer, softer and fixed harmonics, i.e. the harmonics do not vary according to the amplitude of the signal, only its volume changes in relation to the deph or size of the target.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you select pitch, you can then go to expert and select either PWM or Square. Personal preference in how the pitch tone sounds:

PWM
PWM is the traditional XP sound that you would have known on I or the wired range.
It is dynamic and informative through its wealth of harmonics that vary according to the amplitude of the signal and therefore giving the operator a good indication of the depth or size of a target.
SQUARE
Square has fewer, softer and fixed harmonics, i.e. the harmonics do not vary according to the amplitude of the signal, only its volume changes in relation to the deph or size of the target.
Yes, I know what PWM and Square tones are. I didn't realize that you were saying "Pitch tone using square waves"

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I listened to the full tone under both PWM and Square wave tones, and to be honest, Dan, about the only difference that I could hear was that square was a bit quieter and a bit tinny to my ears. Am I missing something?

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Today I listened to the full tone under both PWM and Square wave tones, and to be honest, Dan, about the only difference that I could hear was that square was a bit quieter and a bit tinny to my ears. Am I missing something?
You’re not “missing” anything. It all comes down to personal preference… simple as that.

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Square pitch is a single tone for all targets. It’s Not multi-tones.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Square pitch is a single tone for all targets. It’s Not multi-tones.
There is no such thing as square pitch. There is square tone waveform and there is pitch tone. Those are two different things. Square is just a type of sound, settable in the Options menu. Pitch is settable in Settings and is an alternative to 1, 2, 3,4, 5, and Full Tones.

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no such thing as square pitch. There is square tone waveform and there is pitch tone. Those are two different things. Square is just a type of sound, settable in the Options menu. Pitch is settable in Settings and is an alternative to 1, 2, 3,4, 5, and Full Tones.
Go to options and hit square tone then go to expert and hit pitch.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to options and hit square tone then go to expert and hit pitch.
Yes, that's what I'm saying... those are two totally different options. We are apparently in agreement except for use of the term "square pitch".

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Yes. There is no such thing as square pitch. There is pitch mode, and there are square tones. No square pitch.
OK. You don’t like square pitch and apparently you don’t like square AND pitch so how about pitch AND square? 😉😂

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post here! I personally like four and five tones. It's all about personal preference and what works for you best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread