Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pitch tone can be square or pwm.
Beach program P is pitch by default. I think relic program is also.
Tone (audio) type can be square or pwm. I can agree with that.

Pitch, is a mode, as Deus uses it, that refers to a sound that instead of rising or falling (in pitch) by the conductivity of the target, rises and falls by how close the target is to the coil.

I continue to maintain that those are entirely separate things.

Here... let's see what the manual says:

scrap.jpg

scrap.jpg

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tone (audio) type can be square or pwm. I can agree with that.

Pitch, is a mode, as Deus uses it, that refers to a sound that instead of rising or falling (in pitch) by the conductivity of the target, rises and falls by how close the target is to the coil.

I continue to maintain that those are entirely separate things.

Here... let's see what the manual says:

View attachment 2040937

View attachment 2040938
So if using pitch would you use square or PWM? Pitch would use one or the other.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So if using pitch would you use square or PWM? Pitch would use one or the other.
You can use either one, although I've found that it doesn't make much of a difference with pitch which Audio Type you use. The difference is pretty subtle if you ask me.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For many years, I detected our Florida beaches with various Minelab detectors set up in a custom 3 tone setting based on low, mid and high conductive targets. This combination served me very well over those years in the Minelab world so when I bought the Deus 2, I programmed Beach and Beach Sensitive the same way--3 tones. However, in my on-going effort of transitioning to the XP world, I quickly learned that the Deus 2, being the sophisticated detector it is, was apt to be more chatty on a saltwater beach if not set up properly beyond just my 3 tone solution.

After experimentation with sensitivity, salt sensitivity, reactivity, silencer, bottle cap rejection and discrimination, (more options than I was used to with the Minelabs,) I was able to stabilize it to what I thought was at least a somewhat satisfactory level...again in 3 tones.

But thanks to some educational exchanges with Calabash Digger and Savannah Harps, I was introduced to the Deus 2 Square Pitch option. Coupled with the right levels of discrimination and silencer settings, this set up is essentially a nuanced 2 tone program. Since I always dug both the mid and high level tones of my 3 tone set up anyway, this wasn’t all that much different in terms of dig/no dig decisions except now there was the same tone frequency for all non-ferrous targets.

Although still in the early stages of learning the finer points of this Deus 2, I’m impressed with the square pitch option. These settings hit good targets hard and ID’d bottle caps and ferrous targets much better than my original 3 tone option. Additionally, it proved to be far less chatty on my Florida saltwater beaches than the 3 tone set up.

Bottom Line; I’m a square pitch convert. If you’re a Deus 2 saltwater beach hunter also, I recommend you at least give this set up a try.

My preferred baseline settings for saltwater beaches in Beach and Beach Sensitive are now:

Discrimination 6.5 and Silencer 0: both recommended by Calabash

Square Pitch: recommended by Calabash and reinforced by Savannah Harps

The remainder is a combination of situational needs determined through on-site experimentation, testing and actual use and finally, personal preference.

Adjusted as conditions require:

Sensitivity: 95

Salt Sensitivity: 7

Reactivity 0-1.5

Personal Preference:

Notch: Off (Gold falls anywhere along the mid level spectrum so I never notch out anything.)

Bottle Caps: 3

Iron Volume: 3

Audio Response: 5 or 6

Audio Out: 9

My next step is finding the best combination of settings for detecting 19th century artifacts in fresh water. I’ll start my search with square pitch in a custom Park program—but only actual use in a fresh water environment will tell the tale.

Just the view from my converted beach front foxhole. Your analysis and conclusions may differ.
I use Pitch w/square on land looking for deep coins….it is a KILLER! I do still like having the iron volume on until I know what I’m dealing with but the P/w square is REALLY a great audio option for telling ALOT about the target, I find it to be great! And that’s coming from a DIE HARD Minelab guy running FBS for the last 7 years. This D2 is something VERY special, I will be forthright and completely admit that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread