I've found a meteorite but I do not know what type or species it belongs to. HELP!

yassgo

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi, I've found a black meteorite but I'm unable to identify its type. I did many test to make sure that it's a meteorite and not a meteo-wrong. and it seems to be a real meteorite piece. I would be much grateful if you can help me out with this matter. I would like to know how to price it? and where to sell it?
Thank you
Please post a photo

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a disconnect between you saying you've found a meteorite but can't identify it's type. Typing (at least with respect to the main groupings) would be an implicit part of a positive identification.

Please show us some decent pictures and tell us exactly what tests you have performed which lead you to conclude that you have a meteorite.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I've found a black meteorite but I'm unable to identify its type. I did many test to make sure that it's a meteorite and not a meteo-wrong. and it seems to be a real meteorite piece. I would be much grateful if you can help me out with this matter. I would like to know how to price it? and where to sell it?
Thank you

Welcome to the forum! Where are you? Are you in a known Strewn field? Do you have a photo?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
You found a black rock you claim is a meteorite. Show me the evidence. Otherwise it is just a black rock.

Time for more coffee.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard yassgo! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

photo_camera.gif
2nd - A picture(s) is worth a zillion words! If you are having problems posting pictures - take a look at: How to post pictures with your story...

OP
OP
Y

yassgo

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a disconnect between you saying you've found a meteorite but can't identify it's type. Typing (at least with respect to the main groupings) would be an implicit part of a positive identification.

Please show us some decent pictures and tell us exactly what tests you have performed which lead you to conclude that you have a meteorite.

Yea, I believe that is a meteorite. I've watched many videos on Youtube, red many blogs, and exposed it to some tests which showed promising results that this piece is a meteorite. Please, check the attached images. 131899409_745010582796385_6931890491602796263_n.jpg 131894689_1029300827590605_3617691535671183052_n.jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Based on the provided images, your rock has no visible characteristics of meteorites. What tests were performed?

Time for more coffee.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I believe that is a meteorite. I've watched many videos on Youtube, red many blogs, and exposed it to some tests which showed promising results that this piece is a meteorite. Please, check the attached images. View attachment 1887186 View attachment 1887187

There is nothing in your pictures which suggests you have a meteorite. What exactly does "exposed it to some tests which showed promising results" mean?

OP
OP
Y

yassgo

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing in your pictures which suggests you have a meteorite. What exactly does "exposed it to some tests which showed promising results" mean?

It is unbreakable, it gets attached to the the magnet.

OP
OP
Y

yassgo

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the provided images, your rock has no visible characteristics of meteorites. What tests were performed?

Time for more coffee.

Can you recommend any tests other than the magnet?

OP
OP
Y

yassgo

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Time for more coffee.

I've just received a call from a friend of mine, who is a Geologist, and he told me that after many tests in the laboratory, they found that it is meteorite.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is unbreakable, it gets attached to the the magnet.

And you seriously expect us to believe that these were the "many tests" you performed that lead you to believe you've found a meteorite?

Can you recommend any tests other than the magnet?

Yes, but I would want to see the interior of the specimen too. In any case, you now claim that you don't need that advice because a "geologist" has already performed "many tests".

I've just received a call from a friend of mine, who is a Geologist, and he told me that after many tests in the laboratory, they found that it is meteorite.

That would be surprising based on the pictures you provided. So... what were these "many tests in the laboratory". And, if they have confirmed it to be a meteorite then they should also be able to tell you what classification it falls into (at least broadly). What did your friend tell you? Does he actually have any experience in meteoritics?

How did it perform on a streak test? What did the interior look like? Are there any visible flecks or veins of metal? Are there any chondrules? Are there any vesicles? Are there any crystalline deposits within? What was the mineralogy of those materials? Did they analyse for iron, nickel and trace metals? What were the percentages and were there metals present at amounts consistent with meteorites as well as absence of metals inconsistent with meteorites? Did they check for an iridium anomaly?

Last edited:

Paulo

Oct 13, 2019
West Toast
Detector(s) used
HF-9, X-Ray Vision (1st gen), LDDS-1x (lawn dart dowsing system)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not normally so presumptuous, but I'm thinking he was fishing for people to buy it.

I've found similar looking stuff near railroad tracks in my youth. Iron slag me thinks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread