✅ SOLVED J.C. Childs & Co metal clock? Mirror?

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this really cool piece yesterday in an old farm dump. I am not sure what it is made of, it looks like copper or bronze but it is rusted. Mabel some sort of alloy? On the top, it reads “Green Label Beef Iron & Wine” and lower down it says “J.C. Child’s & Co New York” Green label Beef Iron & Wone was a tonic created by J.C. Child’s and Co and sold in his liquor store in New York City. He seems to have been in business from 1885 to around 1920. I can’t find anything like this piece online so any help is appreciated. Also, if you think there’s a safe way to get the rust off, I would love to know. The deign is Beautiful and I would love to uncover more of it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 1

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't find an exact match, but if you search "Columbus brass ship clock" you will see similar examples. I'm guessing it's from 1892 commemorating 400 years since Columbus discovered America (or at least got credit for it...). That time frame also fits with the J. C. Childs company.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find an exact match, but if you search "Columbus brass ship clock" you will see similar examples. I'm guessing it's from 1892 commemorating 400 years since Columbus discovered America (or at least got credit for it...). That time frame also fits with the J. C. Childs company.
I think you got it! J.C. Child’s was probably using it as advertising for his store. Thanks! Any ideas of how to clean it up?

Upvote 1

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That rust looks pretty deep. You could use Evaporust, vinegar, or electrolysis on it, but, that will most likely remove some detail too.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That rust looks pretty deep. You could use Evaporust, vinegar, or electrolysis on it, but, that will most likely remove some detail too.
Thanks. I think I might just leave it. I have look a little closer and I think it’s a copper or brass coating or cover on cast iron so I don’t want to destroy the coating.

Upvote 1

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evaporust won't hurt copper or brass, but, I imagine if you removed some of the rust underneath the coating, the coating might become a bit loose, and maybe flake off. Maybe try it in a small inconspicuous spot first before dunking the whole thing.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evaporust won't hurt copper or brass, but, I imagine if you removed some of the rust underneath the coating, the coating might become a bit loose, and maybe flake off. Maybe try it in a small inconspicuous spot first before dunking the whole thing.
Alright. Will try that.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread