Jesse James Hideout on Piney Creek Izard County.

amularian

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Batesville, Arkansas
Was reading a newly published book about Frank and Jesse James in Izard County Arkansas by Freda Cruse Hardison and she mentioned something that brought back a memory from my childhood my uncle talked about. He told my daddy there was an outlaw hideout down from Calico Rock where the James and Yoounger boys would hide and buried loot from robberies. The story goes something like this. The outlaws hid out in a hilly area where present day Rebel Lane or Reb Lane and Boswell Rd. could be found. Rebel or Reb Lane is to the North of the property and Boswell is to the South and in the middle is the property where the outlaws hid. Some years ago a Mr. Crouch owned the land and a search of property records could lead someone to the right location. The property was bought by a Mr. Rory John so some local research at the Izard County records office might help you out. I'm too old now to walk out into the woods unattended but this might be a good area to look into for some of you young bucks. You may also inquire at the Batesville Guard Newspaper office and talk with them about the property in question. The lady who wrote the book, Freda Cruse Hardison might also be a good source of information. That's all I have so happy hunting.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you suggesting a group of Tnetters getting together for a "hoe" down in Arkansas? I am just close enough for game on this one.......

OP
OP
A

amularian

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Batesville, Arkansas
I do have an update on that post yesterday. I talked with a lady friend of mine from Calico Rock and she told me it was definitely Reb Lane and not Rebel Lane. From what she said I guess there was a lot of outlaw activity in that area and some killings a long time ago. She also mentioned some men came to that area within the past month and left suddenly. She feels they might of found something. They were staying in a rv near Melbourne. Wish I had more to help you young bucks but that's it.

OP
OP
A

amularian

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Batesville, Arkansas
Update on that property. From a phone call received, apparently the owner of the property was notified and he's going to start enforcing trespassing violations. Some outdoor cameras were installed by a man from Calico Rock and all pictures taken of any individual will be forwarded to the Sheriff. The property is now off limits and permission to search must be obtained. The way I understood it some people from Calico know the one's going on and off the property and some have vandalized. Not a good idea. This past Saturday there were a couple of vehicles near the property and two were from Arkansas. Previous permission was granted to a man and a lady but no further permission to anyone else. It's a great place to search but abide by the laws and ask the property owner first. The gps given was for the front of the property.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is a Very odd one.

I've been trying to research this But Nothing comes up in the Arkansas Papers
published between 1836-1922

1.jpg

Only Mention of Calico rock

World's cresset. (JAH-ville [Colony], Fowler, Mo.), 21 April 1910.
2.jpg

Only Mention of Jesse

World's cresset. (JAH-ville [Colony], Fowler, Mo.), 30 March 1916.
3.jpg

0 on Izard

5.jpg

0 Reb Lane

6.jpg

same with Rebel Lane

this may be due to When I search Arkansas newspapers, it Jumps to Missouri :dontknow:
Perhaps there are no Arkansas papers in their collection :dontknow:

a.jpg

they do Exist :laughing7:

v.jpg

Chronicling America « Library of Congress

So sorry ! I can't help you's on this

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

amularian

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Batesville, Arkansas
Jeff the property is between Reb Lane and Boswell Rd. in Claiborne Township in Izard County, Arkansas. The property in question was a hideout used by the James/Yoounger gang after the Civil War. Local legends tell of burials and killings by the outlaws. Not all is always in papers. The property has been posted and the owner would need to be contacted for permission to search.

OP
OP
A

amularian

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Batesville, Arkansas
Have some news on the property in question. A group of treasure hunters from Tennessee area have received permission to search the property this summer or fall according to my sources up at Calico Rock. Seems as though the landowner is now interested in some info he was told and papers were signed on a share basis. The group are going to be staying at Calico and I hope to have more news as it becomes available. I also heard the Arkansas State Police opened up an investigation into headstone theft and vandalism.

OP
OP
A

amularian

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Batesville, Arkansas
Sorry I haven't posted any updates on this property. Been in and out of hospital with various lung complications due to smoking. Talked with my friends in Calico Rock and the owner was notified again about locals coming onto the property and digging. Two men from Calico came down and took down license plate numbers of those who parked near the property and walked onto it. The owner hasn't given any permission for any locals to search except for a few treasure hunters from Tennessee who have a written consent to be there. Those locals are illegally trespassing. The owner signed a letter of intent to prosecute anyone caught on the property with the State Police. Over the past year the property was vandalized, objects removed and names of the locals were given to the owner. Seems like a few feel they can do whatever they want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

amularian

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Batesville, Arkansas
Just a quick update. My friends at Calico Rock informed me today the owner of the property should be arriving within the next 10 days to inspect everything and to see what damage has been done. In a letter sent to the landowner, some names were given of residents in Izard, Independence and Stone counties that's been trespassing. Right now, local authorities are on the lookout for trespassers and those caught will be prosecuted. If anything else becomes available I'll post it here. Good luck to the good gals & guys out there who are treasure hunting the right way.

Last edited:

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick update. My friends at Calico Rock informed me today the owner of the property should be arriving within the next 10 days to inspect everything and to see what damage has been done. In a letter sent to the landowner, some names were given of residents in Izard, Independence and Stone counties that's been trespassing. Right now, local authorities are on the lookout for trespassers and those caught will be prosecuted. If anything else becomes available I'll post it here. Good luck to the good gals & guys out there who are treasure hunting the right way.

lol

sjohnson1213

Oct 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here's an update on all the updates....i live right here where you guys been talking about and all the "updates on the property" sound to me like someone that wants to come search the area but hasnt had time is trying to scare people off. I know Reb lane and Boswell rd and Sadieville rd very well. The land owners on Reb ln probably wont allow much treasure hunting if any at all. Not only that but the place ur looking for is a little further down the river. There are carvings in the rocks marking a JJ hideout. Good luck.

SeArkHunter

Greenie
Mar 19, 2018
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have family from the Oil Trough area and legend is that they hung out in that area as well. Allegedly my stepdad's great grandfather and Frank James were good friends, and they would visit him from time to time.

IzardofOz

Feb 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, done that

I had the pleasure of visiting the site several years ago WITH PERMISSION from the landowner. I actually went with the late treasurer of the "Izard County Historical & Genealogical Society" who was friends with the landowner at the time. A very interesting experience. But...one I came away from with more skepticism than when I first learned about the location. Listen, folks - this IS private propertry. And this IS possible a VERY important historical site. PLEASE don't go F it up! Don't steal our county's heritage. Cheers.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow .. guess we will never know the truth
No worries if they did, just keep an eye peeled on browser or your Facebook news feed, someone will have to spill the beans eventually if they did. Human nature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread