• Waco Lot.jpg
    Waco Lot.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 808

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello goverton. Thanks for posting this amazing photograph. I don't know of any later attempts to locate the safe in Waco but hope any members who do will let us know.
~Texas Jay
http://knightsofthegoldencircle.webs.com

Attachments

• LawtonConstitutionJesseJames-1948.jpg
    LawtonConstitutionJesseJames-1948.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 755

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owe the pic to Google Earth and ACDSee Program(Photo and screen capture program) :icon_sunny:

It is hard to believe they put that much money into it and came up empty........

I did hear of a tale that a Jesse James descendant came to Dallas (south dallas area) and went to creek area and
walked off 12 paces from a certain marked tree and dug up a safe there at the edge of the creek.

I just cannot figure out who would bury this money like Johnny Apple Seed, all over the country and just leave it.
Don't make sense!

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy that did the digging there past away this week He was 93 years old and had some neat stories about it

TexasKenny

Jun 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Doubt anyone is reading on here anymore, but I was on one of the crews that dug the lot goverton posted. Think it was about 15 years ago, but I can tell you that is definitely the place, and yes, there's an underground river running under that lot that made digging hell. If you look close at the street accessing the lot, you can see where the asphalt was redone. One of the guys that was supposed to be monitoring the dewatering system overnight got drunk and (lots of other explaining) ended up in a bulldozer driving around with the rippers down on the back.

Last edited:

jordan272305

Jul 30, 2023
Hi all. Doubt anyone is reading on here anymore, but I was on one of the crews that dug the lot goverton posted. Think it was about 15 years ago, but I can tell you that is definitely the place, and yes, there's an underground river running under that lot that made digging hell. If you look close at the street accessing the lot, you can see where the asphalt was redone. One of the guys that was supposed to be monitoring the dewatering system overnight got drunk and (lots of other explaining) ended up in a bulldozer driving around with the rippers down on the back.
Hi, I’m curious to know what did you meant by “ this is definitely the place” did you get to see if they retrieved the safe or anything significant from the dig site?

ThatOneDigger

Aug 2, 2023
Hi, I’m curious to know what did you meant by “ this is definitely the place” did you get to see if they retrieved the safe or anything significant from the dig site?
He said that it is the address where the work was done. The money ran out and the hole kept filling in so they never did get the safe.

In order to squash this legend, we need to use a modern ground penetration radar to see if there is a safe. Waco is in an extreme drought so this would be the perfect time to try to complete a dig. The ground is extremly dry and it hasn't rained for long time.

Longstacks14

Dec 15, 2023
He said that it is the address where the work was done. The money ran out and the hole kept filling in so they never did get the safe.

In order to squash this legend, we need to use a modern ground penetration radar to see if there is a safe. Waco is in an extreme drought so this would be the perfect time to try to complete a dig. The ground is extremly dry and it hasn't rained for long time.
The ground penatration survey was done in the 90s by UT. There is an identical safe in a museum in waco they used for refrience and a pic from the safe being pulled out the first time before being dropped by James and friends. My father's construction company worked on this with the state and UT in the 90s. I had to spend the whole summer out there. There are a lot of cool stories surrounding the safe. It's still down there

ThatOneDigger

Aug 2, 2023
The ground penatration survey was done in the 90s by UT. There is an identical safe in a museum in waco they used for refrience and a pic from the safe being pulled out the first time before being dropped by James and friends. My father's construction company worked on this with the state and UT in the 90s. I had to spend the whole summer out there. There are a lot of cool stories surrounding the safe. It's still down there
It was said the safe was buried or put in the well in 1918 by Jesse James. I remember seeing articles about DNA test done to debunk people claiming to be Jesse James. I'm having a hard time believing if there is a safe in the first place.

If the real Jesse James died in the 1800s and DNA backs up this claim, how is it the safe was buried in 1918? I'm just trying to figure this out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread