Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I spent a 4 day weekend at the ocean and I got a fair amount of time to detect 2 different beaches. The first one was full of world war 2 ordinance that was pumped onto the beach during the beach restoration a few years ago. The storms over the last month have washed away a decent layer of sand and exposed the ordinance buried deeper in the sand. A few larger pieces were still 18 to 22 inches down, but most were fairly close to the surface. While I had a decent amount of luck the coins were not as plentiful as in the past. Part of this is due to the fact that more people are going cashless and the coin shortage has made many business require debit and charge transactions. The coin shortage also made some businesses start using half dollars so I found 2 this trip when they are a rare find normally.

In 17 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 272 coins with a face value of $24.73 (including the 2 halves)

48B2C2A8-98F9-4CEA-BCD9-23A2D0612151.jpeg

3582097D-2528-4DE2-8FCF-145E16B897FA.jpeg

A bunch of cheapie jewelry including a really cool brass leopard head bead

F096EC48-AF72-4A58-B265-6E29A755A833.jpeg

1D27F2C6-34F8-4108-A30C-F34571DCE369.jpeg

45 pieces of mechanical detonator from 40 mm and 100 mm artillery shells from WW2 and two 50 caliber machine gun slugs

E84F24FC-DF23-47BA-962F-8EA3191DEF19.jpeg

146 pieces of 20 mm traveling band and 108 pieces of 40 mm traveling band. Traveling band or obturator is a brass band the goes around the explosive shell to engage the gun’s rifling. On the right are pieces that show the rifling groove and on the left are pieces that show the check pattern from the inside to help break the band apart on detonation to create more shrapnel.

75E248DF-E0BB-42E0-851A-D6D16D2F74DC.jpeg

308F7521-6985-415B-A1D2-24862A682738.jpeg

On the second beach I only got 7 hours to detect. No one else was detecting the first beach, but there were 4 others detecting the second beach. The sand was very quiet for the most part, but persistence payed off and I did manage 80 coins with a face value of $5.90, 2 stainless forks, a dental tool, 2 bits of cheap chain, a Netherlands coin from 1950 (my birth year), a HEADS I WIN TAILS YOU LOSE coin, a pin back, a cheap ring and on both beaches I did find some foil and tabs.

F641B831-01BD-4CBC-ABF3-94EB4E8C2FEA.jpeg
27982F53-AB80-4EBD-A327-034ECF11E407.jpeg

0E6DA30C-0E18-4A2B-834E-ACFD8428633F.jpeg

No silver and gold, but I did get a nice batch of clad and a lot of fresh air exercise in some very nice weather. I also got a nice pile of WW2 ordinance. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 15

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I spent a 4 day weekend at the ocean and I got a fair amount of time to detect 2 different beaches. The first one was full of world war 2 ordinance that was pumped onto the beach during the beach restoration a few years ago. The storms over the last month have washed away a decent layer of sand and exposed the ordinance buried deeper in the sand. A few larger pieces were still 18 to 22 inches down, but most were fairly close to the surface. While I had a decent amount of luck the coins were not as plentiful as in the past. Part of this is due to the fact that more people are going cashless and the coin shortage has made many business require debit and charge transactions. The coin shortage also made some businesses start using half dollars so I found 2 this trip when they are a rare find normally.

In 17 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 272 coins with a face value of $24.73 (including the 2 halves)

View attachment 1986563

View attachment 1986564

View attachment 1986558

View attachment 1986559

45 pieces of mechanical detonator from 40 mm and 100 mm artillery shells from WW2 and two 50 caliber machine gun slugs

View attachment 1986560

146 pieces of 20 mm traveling band and 108 pieces of 40 mm traveling band. Traveling band or obturator is a brass band the goes around the explosive shell to engage the gun’s rifling. On the right are pieces that show the rifling groove and on the left are pieces that show the check pattern from the inside to help break the band apart on detonation to create more shrapnel.

View attachment 1986561

View attachment 1986562

On the second beach I only got 7 hours to detect. No one else was detecting the first beach, but there were 4 others detecting the second beach. The sand was very quiet for the most part, but persistence payed off and I did manage 80 coins with a face value of $5.90, 2 stainless forks, a dental tool, 2 bits of cheap chain, a Netherlands coin from 1950 (my birth year), a HEADS I WIN TAILS YOU LOSE coin, a pin back, a cheap ring and on both beaches I did find some foil and tabs.

View attachment 1986565 View attachment 1986566
View attachment 1986567

No silver and gold, but I did get a nice batch of clad and a lot of fresh air exercise in some very nice weather. I also got a nice pile of WW2 ordinance. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Nice Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

billups_s22

Oct 22, 2021
Nice Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

View attachment 1986563

View attachment 1986564

View attachment 1986558

View attachment 1986559

View attachment 1986560

View attachment 1986561

View attachment 1986562

View attachment 1986567

View attachment 1986563

View attachment 1986564

View attachment 1986558

View attachment 1986559

View attachment 1986560

View attachment 1986561

View attachment 1986562

View attachment 1986567

i am confused, how did you stumble upon ww2 relics on US beaches? i would kill to find something like that

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am confused, how did you stumble upon ww2 relics on US beaches? i would kill to find something like that
Most people don’t realize that there was a lot of enemy submarine activity off the Atlantic coast during world war 2. There were watch towers trying to spot the subs and at night the Subs would surface to run their engines to charge their batteries for operation underwater. We fired a lot of ordinance at night to keep the subs down so they had to move away. All the ordinance fragments are 2 and 3 miles off the coast where they get the sand for beach restoration.

I hope that clears up your confusion. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1986563

View attachment 1986564

View attachment 1986558

View attachment 1986559

View attachment 1986560

View attachment 1986561

View attachment 1986562

View attachment 1986567

thanks for the post and the really cool finds, wtg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a bunch of that stuff on some of our beaches too, especially when sand gets washed away in the winter time. The stuff is a nuisance and ends up in my scrap copper and brass bucket. There was lots of military training areas around here during WW2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread