jewelry mode or all metal ???

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am out hunting I am in all metal mode. I have my sensitivity at 8 sometimes 9 when soil and trash amounts permit it. I usually ignore the iron and dig all other signals. Obviously digging takes the most time when you are digging lots of targets. I find gold and silver, but like all of us I want to find more. I usually hunt parks, but will detect anywhere I can- the beach is about 50 miles away so not really close enough to go there for a daily excursion. I am usually out about 1-5 hrs. Now I guess is time for the question--Do you think I will find more gold, silver, platinum if I choose all metal or jewelry. I use an ace 250 which has been good to me. I have been detecting for 5-6 years and have many hours of detecting under my coil. I know there are better machines out there but that is a different thread. Do you think digging more targets in the correct range vs all targets (except iron) will increase my odds of finding more bling bling and more silver coins which to me is also bling--love finding the silver. HH Thanks in advance for your replies!!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you can increase your jewelry finds in public parks, by hunting the spots where gold and Silver are lost at.
Basketball court,tennis courts,around public pools,and concession stands.old trees.
Gary

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time I hunt in all metal mode is in the woods. WAY too many annoying signals if you use that setting in parks or at baseball fields. I also drop the sensitivity down at least two notches at high trash areas.

The only way to find gold is to dig a ton of pull tabs, foil and other junk. If you don't mind doing that, then go for it. But it's much easier to find silver coins and jewelry. Hunt in jewelry mode and discriminate out everything to the left of the dime signal. That will eliminate iron, most pennies, nickels and foil signals.

I always start out in jewelry mode, but I won't waste my day digging pull tabs and foil if the spot is too trashy. I'll switch over to the above settings and "settle" for silver coins and jewelry, clad dimes and clad quarters. I may miss out on gold and very small silver rings with these settings, but I can live with that fact.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth I just notch out iron and pretty much dig everything even the scratchy and broken signals....and yes I do find a fair amount of gold and even a few bracelets and chains using this method.....when I started 20 plus years ago I was pretty much just coin shooting but as the finds thinned out I dropped down to dig the lower and mid range stuff and also found a fair amount of relics, buttons and other interesting things.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
L

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gary I see you have been doing this for a long time

OP
OP
L

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks FreeBird good info-- I will try this soon- it is hard to break away from my normal routine, but like learning new techniques. I know a few places to try this thanks again

OP
OP
L

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill, I've been hitting this one field for a few years now--it's been real nice to me--I'm getting down to just low signals and broken trashy ones--lots of foil but a few goodies a cool cross necklace that was also a little 1 inch knife. I don't find many necklaces or bracelets unless they are large or with a pendant. thanks for your input. HH

OP
OP
L

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Skippy, lots of good advice--for a long time I would only dig solid signals- I have evolved and learned my machine quite a bit but still have a lot to learn. I have never made a test garden I'm sure it would be helpful in learning mixed signals. I still end up digging deep iron that I thought was a coin. I like this machine but I look forward to a better one perhaps the pro or the gold or a minelab $$$ haha or a whites so many good brands to choose from. I started out renting a whites to begin my hunting career-20 bucks a week it was fun but only one tone for everything and no pinpoint, then a bounty hunter which performed as asked until I detected underground power at a friends house, then a prism two, anyway I've been satisfied with the 250 but can't wait for the next one whatever I may choose. Thanks again for the great info and for your time and expertise. HH Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions