Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'd have to check but i think hugh d'autramont (sp?) wrote a letter stating that him or one of his pals saw barry on black top carving symbols in stone

I have his book "West of Dawn." I'll try to check it tonight and see if he says anything about that. My recollection is that it was Bill Barkley who claimed he saw Storm chopping symbols into rocks on BTM and that Tex said he'd been up there many times and there was never any rock carvings before Storm showed up.

I'm sure we'll never know

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Getting back on topic, I've added more highlighting to my best zoomed image of the area of interest. The fault line runs more or less horizontally across the image. The possible depression/trench runs more or less perpendicular to the fault (white line). Inside the white box is what could be a man-made catchment basin for rainwater. The "basin" has some depth, as shown by the shadow cast inside it. I don't think it could have been tarped over and used as a temporary shelter, since its location is precarious in times of heavy rain. The brown patch of ground inside the red box (possibly excavated material) could have been used for daytime camping, conveniently located next to the depression/trench.

I've used GE to scan higher up on Palomino Mountain, and I see no evidence of any mining activity. I've also scanned Black Top Mesa, and I see no interesting details there.

005.png

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or it was cut into the stone by Barry Storm and has nothing to do with the Spanish

This would not change the meaning of the ORO together with the sunburst symbol. But I doubt Barry knew how to use it or its meaning. Those treasure symbols on BTM were carved by people who knew the treasure codes. The carvings are not some chicken's scratches but real symbols with real meanings.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I have his book "West of Dawn." I'll try to check it tonight and see if he says anything about that. My recollection is that it was Bill Barkley who claimed he saw Storm chopping symbols into rocks on BTM and that Tex said he'd been up there many times and there was never any rock carvings before Storm showed up.

i think i saw it on garry's website...a hand written letter he wrote to bernice mcgee maybe?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think i saw it on garry's website...a hand written letter he wrote to bernice mcgee maybe?

Dave - you were correct about d'Autremont's comments about Storm. I suspect most people have made up their minds already about "Oro" and "Sunburst" signs, and can't be convinced of anything other than what they believe, but here is the quoted section from his 1966 letter to the McGee's.

hugh.JPG

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave - you were correct about d'Autremont's comments about Storm. I suspect most people have made up their minds already about "Oro" and "Sunburst" signs, and can't be convinced of anything other than what they believe, but here is the quoted section from his 1966 letter to the McGee's.

View attachment 1920089
that should be enough to convince people...when i read that years ago i actually did a little research on hugh...he wasn't your average living in a cardboard box dutch hunter...he was actually college educated and was an engineer with his own firm...he was very highly thought of

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Palomino is an interesting place for sure. The geology is right. Always wondered about thas spot on the other side . Could be nothing, but good at distinguishing shadows. Prob never get there. But was on my radar. Seems like tree obscures what I think is a opening to cave or something else. Makes ya think...

Screenshot_20210421-203422.png

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew

From what I know, close to the junction of the East Boulder with Little Boulder canyons, are at least two remains of some old arrastras. Another one is close to junction of Boulder with West Boulder canyons.
Was this the reason Aylor and Kochera to stake claims in this region?

Here is an aerial image of a cross which is in the East Boulder close to the Aylor's camp. I don't know if somebody was aware of. IMO, it's a sign which was made by those who worked the mines near by.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sign.jpg
    Sign.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

RockyGoltra

Nov 6, 2022

the only glyph that there is a discrepency on is the word oro- the others have been there since before 1915 says tom kolenborn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread