Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, Hello?

So i am gold prospector mining by hand in Finnish Lapland. Been doing it for my whole life pretty much, over 30 years or so. Recently i've started to make youtube videos about it also (you can check them here if you wish to : Jomsa Prospecting ) I own a 3ha claim and have another 7ha claim application running. I run just simple longtoms but am looking into expanding into small scale Dredging.

I do occasionally dable also in metal detecting and relic hunting. Have not yet found anything interesting relic wise, but have found couple of tiny nuggies on my claim with detector.

I hope to learn from these forums some new methods, tips and tricks on equipment and prospecting. Namely small scale dredging as it is at its infancy here at Finland pretty much.

So yeah... HI!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the small-scale dredging, especially since very little has been done in your area. You can learn from those who have dredged in Alaska. I have a DVD video, got from GPAA (Gold Prospectors of America) years ago. They used a strap around large rocks, to move them from a small stream. Somehow a lift was rigged from tree trunks and cable. Probably not very safe, but it did seem to work. Clothing under wetsuit to keep warm, video showed how to do this.

Welcome to TNet! :coffee2:

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go with the small-scale dredging, especially since very little has been done in your area. You can learn from those who have dredged in Alaska. I have a DVD video, got from GPAA (Gold Prospectors of America) years ago. They used a strap around large rocks, to move them from a small stream. Somehow a lift was rigged from tree trunks and cable. Probably not very safe, but it did seem to work. Clothing under wetsuit to keep warm, video showed how to do this.

Welcome to TNet! :coffee2:
Hi, we cant really go above 76mm nozzles (3"?) On my claim anyway because water permits.

We will dredging only partially submerged and even at times barely at an ankle deep waters.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, if you have smaller streams, those can be really good also. Going down to bedrock, you may end up with a deep hole the fish will love.

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, if you have smaller streams, those can be really good also. Going down to bedrock, you may end up with a deep hole the fish will love.
Actually i am not allowed to dredge in the streams. First i dig conventional pit, and once i hit the water i dredge further down. Chances of reaching bedrock are always bit slim as the ground is very deep. Check this vid from my last summers diggings and you see what i mean:

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still sounds might be productive. Down in the south part of my state, you have small streams over shallow bedrock. The small gold nuggets are there because of ice ages, glacial drift was brought down from Canada. Prospectors made their own dredges with smaller nozzles. I'm thinking like only 2 1/2 inches. With your deep overburden... larger probably is going to be better.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't get much water in pit, smaller maybe the answer.

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still sounds might be productive. Down in the south part of my state, you have small streams over shallow bedrock. The small gold nuggets are there because of ice ages, glacial drift was brought down from Canada. Prospectors made their own dredges with smaller nozzles. I'm thinking like only 2 1/2 inches. With your deep overburden... larger probably is going to be better.
Yeah it is very similar case here. Last glacier activity was during the latest ice age some 10 000 years ago and it left a huge mess and deep glacial till overburden that we are now decoding. I would of course prefer larger dredge but alas because of permits i cannot do so. 76mm seems to be the maximum i can do at this moment and i hope it is enougth.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right where I live is a lot of glacial till. Down in southern areas of state, much better with shallow bedrock. Also, glacial melt (with glacier receding) formed water action, which became like a giant sluice box and concentrating the gravels.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread