jon boats

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I am here in Northern Alberta, Canada and I hope I am posting on the proper thread. What I am looking into is possibly buying a 16' jon boat and outboard motor. My mding , prospecting, hunting area is extremely difficult to get to by land during warm months. Old settlements were accessed via the waterways. You don't see too many jon boats up here, so I was just wondering how they perform in shallow water and with which type of prop outboard. The water levels can go from shallow, deep, silty, muddy. Any help would be much appreciated.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been bowfishing for years and its always in the shallow muddy parts of the lake where carp tend to be...no other boat compares in shallow waters to a flat bottom but your in canada and i know how the waters can be up there with the white caps and ruff stuff...you can swamp a boat real easy in those kind of waters but as long as its nice out you wouldnt have problems....try googling go-devil that type of boat will get you through the shallow water muck mud grass whatever you throw at it but any short shaft motor can do that if you notch it up

OP
OP
O

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dustytrails, I appreciate your input. Us western Canadians have still not embraced jon boats, but I think that will change.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only draw back to the john boats compared to a V hull in the same length is the john boat is tippy almost like a canoe ...i havent spent much time in the smaller 18x60 is the small boat we had for bow fishing with a 8 horse horse honda fan motor...now were using a 20x72 and a 24 hp fan

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Another option is an airboat. These can handle any kind of water, grass, and mud. They are stable enough to stand up on and can even be driven up onto muddy land and grass that is free from rocks. Although they are a little pricey, mostly because of the larger engine and props, they can far outrun many conventional boats on the water. Good Luck. rockhound

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only draw back to the john boats compared to a V hull in the same length is the john boat is tippy almost like a canoe ...i havent spent much time in the smaller 18x60 is the small boat we had for bow fishing with a 8 horse horse honda fan motor...now were using a 20x72 and a 24 hp fan

I disagree about the tippy. They are flat bottomed. Dad had one and I've fished a lot in one.

A 16' IS a small boat, but you know that. I'd go with a jet outboard if in real shallow water.

IMG_20130403_190526-1.jpg

Thanks Dustytrails, I appreciate your input. Us western Canadians have still not embraced jon boats, but I think that will change.

It's a tool for a job and shallow conditions. Dusty is right about rough water, their weak point.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Greater width for better stability.Jons come in various widths. Yep shallow draft. A propguard for a tiller motor would be my first choice,even an old pitchfork as a rock guard if need be with attention paid to motors tip up when obstacle hit being kept in proper adjustment.. The reason for not going go devil or mud motor is service/parts and noise. A study of most used motors in locality may be a key to service part availability and cold weather performance.
A jet motor I,d go stainless on the impeller in case of gravel. A marine jack plate has been a more frequently used item in shallow water in southern states and brings better,efficiency wise, use in shallow water of a prop driven motor.. Manual,electric or hydraulic.
A flat bottom in calm water is fine. River running probably too. They get run in rough waves on occasion but its not pleasant .The bow of the boat gets used more than other boats ,as transom rises the bow engages,kinda surf board working.The compromise style hulls can cut waves better but you will when waves are higher get the pounding on your flat area behind that raised area still. But if your running fast more often on calm water you,ll get better performance. Theres a reason for hull choice ,depending on geographic location, inshore or off and water conditions,load and purpose. A semi-v bottom a mid road option. One little twelve footer semi-v here run for decades was bought for portaging . A little four horse,a pair of oars and it can be run shallow. Tilt motor up and row in inches of water. The deep v fourteen needs a couple feet of water and no rowing going to happen, though many fourteens both deep and semi -v are much lighter and row fine.. Fun choices abound ,once majority of purpose determined, who,s been running what and proven its effectiveness doing the same thing? If you have boat rentals around you peek at their choices in hulls and motors. Many will be an all around compromise, but tough. A spare prop and everything to change it out will be insurance. Casual shopping for a used beater prop after that may allow a better price and its use when you know its going to be dicey conditions for it. With shear pins,(spares aboard please) and slip hubs on some props, there are built in weak spots that if driven respectfully prolong an outboards life if an occasional obstacle gets whacked.
As long as you leave rough seas alone, and you can always beach it if it gets to blowing to hard if your prepared to wait it out. The craft your considering should serve your purpose,sixteen long for me to see what I,m running over but a great length for all around.Keep track of run time in silty or sandy water and replace cooling system impeller more often to ensure longer engine life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
athabasca wolf 017.JPG Hello all,and thanks again for all the advice, I opted for a 14' lund jon boat and a honda 9.9 4 stroke short shaft motor. 2 days ago I loaded up and went up river for a camping, detecting trip. The river that I went on is wide enough (1/4 mile ) but can vary between sandy and rocky bottom. I trimed the motor to the top position and did"nt lock it in case I got into a rocky bottom situation. I was able to get to my camp spot with no problem by sticking to the main chanell of the river. i have kayaked this river many times before and was excited to go upstream for a change. Even with the low water that we have here at this time of year I was able to navigate slowly while watching the shoreline for rocky or sandy areas. Needless to say I got to my huntch detecting area and came up empty handed other than a few bulletts and some trash. I camped at the head end of a large island on one of the nicest sandy beaches this land has to offer I got my camp set up and was enjoying a beer under my tarp while suffering a rain shower and I noticed movement across the river about !/4 mile away on the opposite bank. It was an animal as black as night and big as as a large dog working its way towards my camp. The wind was strong in the other direction so I know it did'nt wind me and my trustry dog did'nt wind him either, she was just curled up at my feet. I knew it was a wolf and it was a privilage to see him as he came closer. He sat down about 200 yards from me across the river and we had a little stare down until I decided that it was time to yell him off. Well he took off and I cut a few more blocks of wood for the fire and settled in for a good nights sleep. He never came back that night nor did his buddies. Hope you enjoyed my adventure and hh.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
He is checking out the strangers for sure. A little more spice for your trip. Reads like some fine time out back of beyond.
Entrap libre rather than answer to a company or clock. Savor that.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread