Joshua Tree

S

stefen

Mighty big area on the high desert...got to be more specific.

OP
OP
tapoutking

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
I remember going with some friends years ago to rock climb. I am unsure as to the exact location so I will have to ask one of them but it was an amazing place.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
tapoutking said:
I remember going with some friends years ago to rock climb. I am unsure as to the exact location so I will have to ask one of them but it was an amazing place.

Joshua Tree National Park is off limits to metal detecting. From what I understand, the Park require that any First Class Miners Club members/prospectors traveling to and from mining claims that are only accessible through the Park with metal detector have a permit, or something like that.

I hit the Village of JT every now and then. They have lots of old retired folks that keep the place fairly clean though. The club in the Basin is called the 1st Class Miners Association. You can find more information about the Hi Desert at “prospector depot dot com”.

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
Been many years, but we used to go there to ride Dune Buggies
quit often, I'm talking early 1970's ???
There was a lot of old mining spots, with deep shafts
One I remember specifically was the" ZULU QUEEN"
Had a shaft that was deeper than hell :o
We would find bottles, relics, and allot of goodies I wish I had now
I was young and dumb then ???
This is just eyeball stuff, No Metal Detector then, didn't know what one was
I'm sure the restrictions nowadays are way to much,
and it's had a lot of years to picked over
As for a beautiful place to comport
Priceless ;D ;D ;D

HH TIM ;D

Bullfrog1

Oct 24, 2008
Thought I'd Throw my 2 cents in! Allot of the area out there, is a "State Park", like Wonderland Of Rocks, allot of mines in the area, it almost goes from Joshua Tree, 29 Palms area, South to Almost the 10 Freeway! Inside the boundaries, if caught with a detector, it will be confiscated, you can get fined, etc, etc! Because of allot of historical stiff, mining camps, and especially Indian artifacts! I knew about that 10 years ago, before I got a metal detector! It's up to you, do you feel lucky? :dontknow:

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
Just got back from the tree. I hunted on the north side of 62. Some gold and silver from an old mill and smelter site. This site would have dated back to the 1800's. And only a mile from 62. Good luck hunting. By the way the tree is not a state park it is a national park and if you get caught with a detector you will lose it and possibly your car. They don't joke around.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Was that you that I saw a couple of weeks ago hunting the mill site at Gold Crown Road. But that's on the south side of Hwy. 62. I was out shooting a few round that day, a few miles pass Stars Way Out.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
So you say on the north side, and only a mile away from 62. It might be Copper Mt.

The Sheephole and Cleghorn wilderness areas are much farther. Could be the Ben Butler site but, its' on the north side. The best place to find gold up here is out in the Old Dale, New Dale and Gold Park district, of which are all to the south of 62. We got color over at the Ben Butler prospects, it's on the north side. Most other spots are claimed.

Hey, I believe the folks that have claims over near Eagle Mountain and near the Jade mine have a wavers on metal deteticos going through the park. That's the only way they can get to thier claims. I also believe that the First Class Miners Association has one too.

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
On the money about CM. I was working near the old lora belle #2 claim last claim date 1982. A gulch with 7' of overburden from top to bottom. The stuff I found is in slag from a smelter. Just got done crushing it up and panning it out. It paid for my gas and food. :thumbsup: This is one of 15 chunks. This thursday I am going to the Newhall placers.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 516

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread