JSP Soda Malt found and cleaned today

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this pretty Dark Green JSP Soda Malt Today. It cleaned up real well...Here is what i found out about this one...

These attractive bottles stand about 9" tall, were blown just after the pontil period, and most have applied tops & date from c.1860-1885. They come in some interesting & scarce color variations. The JSP monogram stands for: "Joseph S. Pederson" - out of New York City, sole agent in the U.S. The bottle contained "Johann Hoff's Malt Extract (Beer of Health), a healing remedy for the stomach, dyspepsia, etc., Gold Medal winning medicinal product in London 1862.

Zi6_1268.jpg

Zi6_1271.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
zaxfire69 said:
Found this pretty Dark Green JSP Soda Malt Today. It cleaned up real well...Here is what i found out about this one...

These attractive bottles stand about 9" tall, were blown just after the pontil period, and most have applied tops & date from c.1860-1885. They come in some interesting & scarce color variations. The JSP monogram stands for: "Joseph S. Pederson" - out of New York City, sole agent in the U.S. The bottle contained "Johann Hoff's Malt Extract (Beer of Health), a healing remedy for the stomach, dyspepsia, etc., Gold Medal winning medicinal product in London 1862.
Nice find, 'zaxfire69'!

Where did you find the information that JSP bottles contained Johann Hoff Malt Extract???

My impression is that these JSP bottles were not related at all to Johann Hoff. Johann Hoff had his own distinctive bottle; and, he spent a lot of money and effort to protect the distinctiveness of his bottle (image below). Twice after 1869 (foundation of his business) he sued Leopold Hoff in federal courts to protect his distinctive bottle and label.
http://openjurist.org/71/f1d/163

Tell us your source on this so that we can get it straight.

hoffjohann.JPG

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a search on JSP Bottles..At the bottom of one of my pages a fellow wrote this above caption about this bottle. Let me search again and see IF I can finds some more about it. I haven't been able to find much about this bottle as usual with bottles. Why are they so hard to do research on. With metal detecting stuff it is so simple. I think there was just to many bottles made back in the 1800's .......I will let you know what I can find.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this thread still alive? I dug a bunch of these fourty years ago in Saratoga Springs, NY Many still had a paper label. if my memory serves me, I thought it was a wine or champaigne. I am just now digging my old bottles from my basement where I haven't seen them for 30+ years.

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not shear Hoff was involved with j s p .

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think not.

zucchinicakes

Mar 8, 2023
I know I am a bit late to this thread but I came across a JSP bottle and after researching, I was lead here to this thread. I have attached a photo of the bottle I found. I also came across a photo of a bottle with the label still intact and it does have the HOFF label on it. It looks like it says "Old Hoffs"

This is the other bottle I came across with the label:

Attachments

• 20221112_183251.jpg
    20221112_183251.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread