Junk, junk and more junk

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Yep, that's all I found this morning. I went out this morning and since I wasn't able to get out yesterday I was hoping that this would be "my" morning. It wasn't. I did see a couple large manatees this morning but they weren't interested in coming too close today so I couldn't get any pictures. I did find a couple earrings, one stud and one hoop, both junk. I found a dog tag on a chain but ... junk. Well you can see for yourself.... fish hooks, a couple sinkers, a tiny watch battery, bread ties, hair clip, junk, junk, junk. **sigh** I don't know the difference between "real" dog tags and the ones the kids are getting made now. I always thought that the military ones always had two tags on a chain. This is a single one and has rubber around the edge. It has the persons name, ss #, blood type and church of preference on it. I'd like to return it if possible but I tried the phone book and there are only 2 names similar and neither one answered the phone. Shoot it could be someone just visiting here so the chances of finding them is slim. Ah well. I did try.

061011.jpg

:wink:

Upvote 0

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
Mumszie,
You sound like me lol. At least your getting out and having fun thats the main thing. Here in the U.P. it's 50 degrees out and cloudy don't even want to think about getting in the water.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumszie, don't feel too bad....check out my "low tide" junk special -this morning's hunt ::)

Care to swap? :laughing7:

Good luck out there next time

Lorraine

Attachments

• DSCF0428.JPG
    DSCF0428.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 384

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That appears to be an actual military ID tag. Having only one tag on the chain, it is possible that the original owner of these tags is deceased. These tags, if real, may have meaning to someone.. I would try to return those to the owners. They should be pretty easy to find. You can go to your local VA office, and they will probably do the work for you.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
bwirth1999 said:
That appears to be an actual military ID tag. Having only one tag on the chain, it is possible that the original owner of these tags is deceased. These tags, if real, may have meaning to someone.. I would try to return those to the owners. They should be pretty easy to find. You can go to your local VA office, and they will probably do the work for you.

I never thought about the VA office! Thanks. I will keep you posted if I ever am able to return them.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aw, I think you had a good day! You were at the beach, saw manatees, saved someone from getting a hook or nail in their foot, and you have the chance for a good deed with that dog tag (the rubber keeps them from clanking together)!! I love reading your posts! And a bad day at the beach (whether detecting or not) is better than a good day elsewhere!!!
Tigger

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You are right that dogtags are usually a pair. One would be on long chain, and second on a shorter chain looped onto the long chain. If the GI was killed in the field and immediate removal not possible, one would be left with the body for ID, and the second collected and return to base-at least that's the way it worked when I was in the Army. Still have mine hanging around an inoperable thermostat in my bedroom. 2 dogtags rubbing against each other and your skin could be uncomfortable or make an annoying noise so most placed the rubber sleeves around the dogtags. Some folks do place a dogtag with cremated remains as mentioned.

Maggie

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My niece (currently in military) says the short chain can break, so it could belong to a living soldier. It could also be someone's memento that they put on a blanket when applying sunscreen. Def. worth a call to the VA. Good luck!

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
Mumszie, that is not junk you are finding. You just didn't tell the whole story/ The pop tops came from soda cans that were being consumed by ELVIS, he thru them in the Mississippi river and now they have made their way to the Gulf coast of Florida. The Hooks were originally used by Hemmingway off the Florida Keys.
The Nail I recognize as one that was originally in a brothel in New Orleans prior to Katrina. And the Corona top was carelessly thrown into the Gulf by none other than Prince William when he last visited the states.
See, not junk at all, just mislabeled

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
captaindoug said:
Mumszie, that is not junk you are finding. You just didn't tell the whole story/ The pop tops came from soda cans that were being consumed by ELVIS, he thru them in the Mississippi river and now they have made their way to the Gulf coast of Florida. The Hooks were originally used by Hemmingway off the Florida Keys.
The Nail I recognize as one that was originally in a brothel in New Orleans prior to Katrina. And the Corona top was carelessly thrown into the Gulf by none other than Prince William when he last visited the states.

What a guy! Yep, what a guy. I never would have dreamed of the treasures I've found could be so important. WOW! ;D

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
captaindoug said:
I saw Pink wearing those hair clips on a music awards show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread