kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
points 043.JPG

Here is what I would call a Bird point....
points 044.JPG

Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lol! Turned one way, it looks like a tree. Perhaps, a California redwood effigy. Lol! Flip it around, you have the thunder bird.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey hey kuger
those are way nice points
some of them are really closely resembling north dakota points

thanks for the picture the variety of material is interesting
larson1951

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....I have more Blunts somewhere in my many box's

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always imagine you out trapping in the gold fields :tongue3: Very nice gem quality. Got my creek drained now can't find the scissors for the 330's. Suggestions?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice points. Thanks for sharing them.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All very nice arrowheads.
Also ..that's a cool hafted scraper/cutting tool.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks G.B..........you have to be kidding me that your going to say that somebody would use a scarper that is as small as a dime!!LOL!Do me a favor and look into archery bird hunting....especially Turkeys and see what is used today....look into a broad head called a "Turkey Spur",also Snaro points.I will say it again.....you dont bleed a bird to death....which is what a sharp,POINTED point does,its shock...blunt force trauma.Same thing goes for small game,rabbits and suchFunny story for ya....not very funny when it happened but I laugh about now......A buddy and I were Elk hunting(which is my favorite animal to pursue with archery tackle)Every body always carries at least one arrown n the quiver,fixed with a rubber blunt point or "Dum-Dum",for grouse(you can actually kill them with a rock if your good at throwing...I am not)Grouse are hands down my favorite bird table fare...any how....my friend and I were sitting over this meadow,just taking a break when this cow elk came out of the timber.My buddy asks how far she was,and if I could hit her with a Dum-Dum(We were Bull hunting,and a blunt didnt normally hurt big animals)I said 60 yrds and "Yes"....he doubted me...I pulled up,let loose..'THUMP",she lunged,whirled and turned running out across the medeow...when she fell...she went down!!!My stomach turned..I wont go into detail,but yea,I killed her,broke a rib and punctured her heart...my season was was over...it is legal to take a cow,but I wanted a bull...anyway,moral is,the blunts carry an extreme amount of kinetic energy.Its fine to have an opinion on something but dont be hard headed....one ceases to learn when they dont see beyond the tree's.....

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have to be kidding To use a miniscule tip to hit a small bird.
Wide broad tips coupled with large fletching was and still is used for hitting small targets by native people.
It makes no sense to make your chances even smaller of hitting your target.. just the opposite is done.. a large wide blunt...not stone tip is used for that.
It increases the surface area.. upping the chances of a hit and creating more drag to slow down the impact so as not to destroy the target.
No reason to act like you have all the answers.. instead of looking into modern solutions for your artifacts look into archaeological facts and information on native use of items.
Take your own advice Kugar

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one other thing....I have never ever in 30 years seen a hafted scraper where the stem would be smaller than a pencil,a small amount of pressure would snap it immediatly

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have to be kidding To use a miniscule tip to hit a small bird.
Wide broad tips coupled with large fletching was and still is used for hitting small targets by native people.
It makes no sense to make your chances even smaller of hitting your target.. just the opposite is done.. a large wide blunt...not stone tip is used for that.
It increases the surface area.. upping the chances of a hit and creating more drag to slow down the impact so as not to destroy the target.
No reason to act like you have all the answers.. instead of looking into modern solutions for your artifacts look into archaeological facts and information on native use of items.
Take your own advice Kugar

Gator.......I like you and dont mean disrespect but you dont know all either,I dont know squat about Florida so dont try and act like you have read ever Archy report ever done either(I dont give to chits about archi reports any way)What works today worked back then and vice versa....that is fact.We are talking about archery...two sticks,some string,and a couple feathers with a rock,or a piece of metal...hasnt changed much in thousands of years....so,yea,I will use examples of what works today..I can not explain to you any other ways than I have tried You dont kill a bird by blood loss....another thing....the Great Basin Indians depended largely on lizards,some of these blunts may have been used that way as well....Please tell me where I have ever acted like I know anything about anywhere aside from the three State area of which I have spent the last 45 years of my life...in the bush 11 months out of the year .......a feller learns a thing or two that people who read from a book miss

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are these wood points not "Huge"...large surface?
arrowheads_4_1_original.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes sinew and pitch was waded on a blank shaft..sometimes the shaft was made for the purpose

IIIb111.jpeg

There's some good reading about all of this in many archaeological documents.
You're free to believe what you like.
The term "bird point" is just a misconception started by collectors.
The Lizard hunting is also explained specifically in several writings.
Did you ever think about the fact you would break every point with every missed shot if using tiny stone points basically aiming them at the ground?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....and sometimes a stone blunt was affixed to that shaft likely to add addition weight to that shaft which translates into more knetic energy...your free to look into that as well....add to your already vast amount of knowledge......also...answer me why would they use a dime sized scraper....with a stem smaller than a pencil.....any side ways pressure as to scrape would break t immediatly......

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....and sometimes a stone blunt was affixed to that shaft likely to add addition weight to that shaft which translates into more knetic energy...your free to look into that as well....add to your already vast amount of knowledge......also...answer me why would they use a dime sized scraper....with a stem smaller than a pencil.....any side ways pressure as to scrape would break t immediatly......

I'm surprised with all your years of knowledge.. and study I suppose..
You're still attached to the misconception of bird points.
Just look up bird point if you want to look up something.. all you will see is people explaining how they are not and never were for hunting birds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread