Just back from a morning hunt. Strange coin/button? Cool early eagle button.

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two hour hunt at a spot that has been quite good. Think I need help here. What appears to be possible Silver coin or button (but no shank spot). Very thin, one side reminds me of MA colony coin. About the same size. But has a "SE" stamped on one side. Added updated images. Says Louis XVI? Looks like a coin. Has me stumped.

Eagle button was a surprise after cleaning. Dirt was really hiding what was under there. Cool type of brass latch, pair of matching small dish shaped buttons. Rather plain.

I found this War of 1812 eagle button image which looks to be a close match to the one I found. Even the "R" in the shield. I found that this is a Rifleman's coat button.

Attachments

• eagle button.jpg
    eagle button.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 140
  • latch b.jpg
    latch b.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 125
  • latch 1.jpg
    latch 1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 106
  • button pair.jpg
    button pair.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 124
  • $_1.jpg
    $_1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 148
  • se 1.jpg
    se 1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 257
  • back 2.jpg
    back 2.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Upvote 30

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is an awesome find! It appears to be a French "Colonie Cayenne" (French Guiana) 2 sous.

2 Sous.jpg

The date would have been in the middle right where they counter-marked it so that's toast, but they were minted between 1780 and 1790. Definitely not something you see everyday so congrats!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is an awesome find! It appears to be a French "Colonie Cayenne" (French Guiana) 2 sous.

View attachment 2000448

The date would have been in the middle right where they counter-marked it so that's toast, but they were minted between 1780 and 1790. Definitely not something you see everyday so congrats!

Many Thanks Paleomaxx! How a coin like that made it's way to the woods of Brewster is probably quite a tale. I knew it was something different than the usual finds. This spot has quite a few targets mixed with iron. Bring my 9in coil next trip.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the counterstamped silver.:occasion14:
I really like them, but don't show up often enough.

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that counterstamped 2 sous is a bit special!

The SE countermark is an official countermark (or contempo forgery) for the tiny island of St Eustatius in the caribbean. Countermarked in 1797, it looks like, to indicate a value of 1 stuiver.

Here‘s one that sold a few years ago at auction:

The countermarked coins of the Caribbean are an interesting bunch and keenly collected. There’s a bit of background info here:

jamie

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that counterstamped 2 sous is a bit special!

The SE countermark is an official countermark (or contempo forgery) for the tiny island of St Eustatius in the caribbean. Countermarked in 1797, it looks like, to indicate a value of 1 stuiver.

Here‘s one that sold a few years ago at auction:

The countermarked coins of the Caribbean are an interesting bunch and keenly collected. There’s a bit of background info here:

jamie
Can't thank you enough Jamie! Never would have guessed a small coin it would involve a tiny little island that sold Armaments to the US. I have found so many War of 1812 buttons both British and American in this same area about 2-3 acres. Would love to know what was going on there.

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
St. Eustatius looks like it was a hopping place in the late 1700's. Must have attracted some interesting folks for sure.

Attachments

• SE.jpg
    SE.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 28

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It‘s had quite a journey, minted in Paris, used in French guiana, on to st eustatius then up to Massachusetts!

Sounds like a great site you have there, more treasures to come hopefully.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely incredible coin neighbor! The rest of the finds aren't too shabby either- Congrats!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two hour hunt at a spot that has been quite good. Think I need help here. What appears to be possible Silver coin or button (but no shank spot). Very thin, one side reminds me of MA colony coin. About the same size. But has a "SE" stamped on one side. Added updated images. Says Louis XVI? Looks like a coin. Has me stumped.

Eagle button was a surprise after cleaning. Dirt was really hiding what was under there. Cool type of brass latch, pair of matching small dish shaped buttons. Rather plain.

I found this War of 1812 eagle button image which looks to be a close match to the one I found. Even the "R" in the shield. I found that this is a Rifleman's coat button.
Wish I had your problems! Good digs!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2000448

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

such an awesome coin, great saves all around

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread