Just curious, how do some of these YouTube folks become spokesmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask this because over the last few years or so, I’ve seen people give opinions on metal detectors unbiased and even show us tips and user friendliness. However I won’t mentioned any names but in last few months a noticed individual , not mention names per site rules. Person seems genuine but I’ll be dam how they hyped minelab up in last few years prior to hyping up Garrett which now is garbage and notka makro is now clueles. But they now say xp deus is best detector since sliced bread. Members it become very childish until last few months, very brash, experienced and knowledgeable but I’ve seen individual just toss the other machine like trash. I want to see what banner finds this person finds in this spring and summer because they are experts, oh and I wouldn’t even comment but it’s literally over the top. So my challenge to this person I want to see what your magic wand of 1600.00 finds you since your so much bragging, maybe your getting compensated which is your right, but stop trashing other machines it’s not very professional we get it oh until the next greatest machine comes along then you will jump ship, I wouldn’t want a spokesman like that, remember I’m also aloud to voice my freedom of speech right.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask this because over the last few years or so, I’ve seen people give opinions on metal detectors unbiased and even show us tips and user friendliness. However I won’t mentioned any names but in last few months a noticed individual , not mention names per site rules. Person seems genuine but I’ll be dam how they hyped minelab up in last few years prior to hyping up Garrett which now is garbage and notka makro is now clueles. But they now say xp deus is best detector since sliced bread. Members it become very childish until last few months, very brash, experienced and knowledgeable but I’ve seen individual just toss the other machine like trash. I want to see what banner finds this person finds in this spring and summer because they are experts, oh and I wouldn’t even comment but it’s literally over the top. So my challenge to this person I want to see what your magic wand of 1600.00 finds you since your so much bragging, maybe your getting compensated which is your right, but stop trashing other machines it’s not very professional we get it oh until the next greatest machine comes along then you will jump ship, I wouldn’t want a spokesman like that, remember I’m also aloud to voice my freedom of speech right.
I hate when somebody trashes a metal detecting model or brand. If they found something they like better just talk about the positive points to the detector you like. And what I have found in a few real life experiences, the reason somebody does not like a certain model or brand, is because they never learned to use properly.
So yes, some brands and models are better at certain things than others. But sometimes it is also the user. Learn your machine. Practice. And stop trashing others machines. And do not think spending thousands on a machine will compensate for lack of knowledge or poor detecting methods. I have seen supposed "pros" on TV that looked like swinging Sickles cutting grass.

Last edited:

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems you are rather opinionated yourself. Not that that's a problem by the way. A lot of that could be to do with whim they get sponsored by or a way to pull in more views. More hype of something equals more interest which brings in more people. I don't think most upper tier to mid tier metal detector are any better than another just all have pros and cons. I have a Deus XP and my mother uses a AT Pro and I got my butt kicked in my last outing by the cheaper metal detector. It is sometimes luck and just some metal detectors work better in certain circumstances or find other things better than anther does.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't aware that we were not allowed to mention names of Youtubers? They are public figures but people as well right so not sure why that can't be done respectfully.

You can become a spokesperson 1 of 2 ways either you reach out to the company (which I have personally done before without a youtube following I would recommend everyone do this with both positive and negative feedback) They reach out to you - Which is quite possible for some of the larger Youtubers. The other possible ways are either be an employee of the company or well respected knowledgeable figure in your field.

Finds are nice but not indicative of how "good" or "bad" a machine is. They may sound like a contradiction and I understand it certainly can be. So let me give you a recent example. On my last hunt at an old house my Minelab etrac was struggling with all the can slaw that was mostly on or near the surface even running the trashy park program. So I made the decision to go back to the truck and pull out the XP ORX because it has a faster recovery speed no custom program just program 3 (deus fast) I went over the same area and pulled out a nice little silver thimble and then about 30min later pulled a silver dime from the sidewalk. It can be a bit hard to explain the difference if you haven't experienced it yourself but if you ever hear someone say the "ground came to life" that is what happened with the switch I could hear all the iron and the good targets and wiggle the coil around the iron. Now its entirely possible that the etrac could have found both of these targets to your exact point in time I may learn how to dial in or better understand the etrac* I am new to this machine, but with the XP machine I did nothing just turned it on and it performed. Actually a good comparison is the Whites DFX. As good as that machine is, (love the whites midtones) the XP is also but just happens to be even faster and lighter. Had I been a sponsor of Minelab and using the Equinox and went back to the truck to get say the latest machine from x company and had a similar experience it might sway me to toward talking highly of that company. If I had several of these over the course of several months then I would have speak the truth. Even if I had found nothing at that site the change of machines still would have happened because of the machines I had available. Now I feel like over the last few years I know my ORX inside and out and if I get a machine that performs as good or better regardless of price I will tell anyone who want to know.

Maybe you could PM me your Youtuber in private - I may not even be aware of this individuals comments.

I would just say in defense of Deus they probably have the least amount of sponsored Youtuber's to my knowledge? I follow lots of detectors on youtube and can only think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head. Of the ones I know of you could probably email them and get a sincere response. I would be willing to wager your beef is with a non-sponsored Deus user? (Which is not a Spokesperson at all just someone with an opinion which like you stated is no different than you or me)

Nokta Makro has the potential to be a top dog company and I haven't heard anyone say they are clueless. They have a certainly had some PR missteps IMO but they have done a lot more right than wrong. Some of the most hard-core XP fans I know are paying close attention to what Nokta is doing. Without knowing specifically what your spokesmen was addressing I will say that Nokta has even confused me a bit over the last few months with the Legend. Maybe that is part of their strategy.. if so it has certainly go a lot of people talking about their new machine? I personally would prefer they let the machine speak for itself though. I will say this much I wasn't planning on buying one but with all the back and forth I think I just might to see how far they have come from the Simplex. * Which was certainly now slouch and virtually universally accepted as a great price point machine from almost everyone in the detecting community.

-- If they are a paid spokesperson who jumped ship it is entirely possible that the previous company stopped listening to their feedback? Now I think if this is true the polite thing to do would be move on. I have seen a few sponsored spokespersons over the years actually speak out on their previous sponsor and sometimes that is necessary to get inform the public.

*** I will add on a personal level that I am not nor ever been paid by any metal detecting company or received anything for free. Every metal detector I have purchased (That list is getting crazy long in 10+ years) I have both positive and negative feedback from $100 dollar machines to $1500 dollar machines. I guess you could probably say I have privately jumped ship myself 3 or 4 times. Not that the "other brands" are now bad or won't find coins it just that the competition has something the resonates better with my hunting style. I would wager that if I lived in the UK or on the beach or hunted New York parks my opinion might be different.

I guess it is up to each individual to decide who's opinion they trust on Youtube or any forum for that matter. I'd like to think the ones I listen to are speaking the truth from their own experience. Been fooled before though :)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You become a spokesperson by being very popular with a great channel (Stealth Diggers, Green Mountain Metal Detecting) or being a cute blonde (Lucky Gin) or looking good in a bikini (Nora Svet).

I really hate it when a good YouTube channel takes the money and promotes a detector they never used previously. As soon as they start hyping one brand of detector, I know the fix is in and I move on to the next video.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett which now is garbage
I'll pit my "garbage" AT Pro against any $1,600 metal detector. I just can't believe people are naive enough to keep buying the latest detector of the month in the belief that it's actually better than the last one that came out. I'm not in the hobby for the money, but spending 1600 bucks to maybe find a couple more Mercs seems silly to me...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally don't trust any paid* reviewer who is given a free detector to review it for the public, I trust the actual owners/users.

* If you are given a free product to review you are a paid reviewer by the company that gave you the product.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49er, starting a thread to attack a specific member even unnamed is still a rule violation. The thread will disappear

Report any specific trashing of members' specific machines and mods can look to see if it violates our rules.,

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You become a spokesperson by being very popular with a great channel (Stealth Diggers, Green Mountain Metal Detecting) or being a cute blonde (Lucky Gin) or looking good in a bikini (Nora Svet).

I really hate it when a good YouTube channel takes the money and promotes a detector they never used previously. As soon as they start hyping one brand of detector, I know the fix is in and I move on to the next video.
GMMD is sponsored by Deus now but I'm not sure he was when he made the switch when his AT Pro broke ( I believe no fault of the company) his progression was Nautilus II - AT Pro - XP Deus. It's kinda funny I almost don't consider his channel a metal detecting channel at times because his story telling is superior. I've used a borrowed AT PRO so I certainly understand your passion for that machine!

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't aware that we were not allowed to mention names of Youtubers? They are public figures but people as well right so not sure why that can't be done respectfully.

You can become a spokesperson 1 of 2 ways either you reach out to the company (which I have personally done before without a youtube following I would recommend everyone do this with both positive and negative feedback) They reach out to you - Which is quite possible for some of the larger Youtubers. The other possible ways are either be an employee of the company or well respected knowledgeable figure in your field.

Finds are nice but not indicative of how "good" or "bad" a machine is. They may sound like a contradiction and I understand it certainly can be. So let me give you a recent example. On my last hunt at an old house my Minelab etrac was struggling with all the can slaw that was mostly on or near the surface even running the trashy park program. So I made the decision to go back to the truck and pull out the XP ORX because it has a faster recovery speed no custom program just program 3 (deus fast) I went over the same area and pulled out a nice little silver thimble and then about 30min later pulled a silver dime from the sidewalk. It can be a bit hard to explain the difference if you haven't experienced it yourself but if you ever hear someone say the "ground came to life" that is what happened with the switch I could hear all the iron and the good targets and wiggle the coil around the iron. Now its entirely possible that the etrac could have found both of these targets to your exact point in time I may learn how to dial in or better understand the etrac* I am new to this machine, but with the XP machine I did nothing just turned it on and it performed. Actually a good comparison is the Whites DFX. As good as that machine is, (love the whites midtones) the XP is also but just happens to be even faster and lighter. Had I been a sponsor of Minelab and using the Equinox and went back to the truck to get say the latest machine from x company and had a similar experience it might sway me to toward talking highly of that company. If I had several of these over the course of several months then I would have speak the truth. Even if I had found nothing at that site the change of machines still would have happened because of the machines I had available. Now I feel like over the last few years I know my ORX inside and out and if I get a machine that performs as good or better regardless of price I will tell anyone who want to know.

Maybe you could PM me your Youtuber in private - I may not even be aware of this individuals comments.

I would just say in defense of Deus they probably have the least amount of sponsored Youtuber's to my knowledge? I follow lots of detectors on youtube and can only think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head. Of the ones I know of you could probably email them and get a sincere response. I would be willing to wager your beef is with a non-sponsored Deus user? (Which is not a Spokesperson at all just someone with an opinion which like you stated is no different than you or me)

Nokta Makro has the potential to be a top dog company and I haven't heard anyone say they are clueless. They have a certainly had some PR missteps IMO but they have done a lot more right than wrong. Some of the most hard-core XP fans I know are paying close attention to what Nokta is doing. Without knowing specifically what your spokesmen was addressing I will say that Nokta has even confused me a bit over the last few months with the Legend. Maybe that is part of their strategy.. if so it has certainly go a lot of people talking about their new machine? I personally would prefer they let the machine speak for itself though. I will say this much I wasn't planning on buying one but with all the back and forth I think I just might to see how far they have come from the Simplex. * Which was certainly now slouch and virtually universally accepted as a great price point machine from almost everyone in the detecting community.

-- If they are a paid spokesperson who jumped ship it is entirely possible that the previous company stopped listening to their feedback? Now I think if this is true the polite thing to do would be move on. I have seen a few sponsored spokespersons over the years actually speak out on their previous sponsor and sometimes that is necessary to get inform the public.

*** I will add on a personal level that I am not nor ever been paid by any metal detecting company or received anything for free. Every metal detector I have purchased (That list is getting crazy long in 10+ years) I have both positive and negative feedback from $100 dollar machines to $1500 dollar machines. I guess you could probably say I have privately jumped ship myself 3 or 4 times. Not that the "other brands" are now bad or won't find coins it just that the competition has something the resonates better with my hunting style. I would wager that if I lived in the UK or on the beach or hunted New York parks my opinion might be different.

I guess it is up to each individual to decide who's opinion they trust on Youtube or any forum for that matter. I'd like to think the ones I listen to are speaking the truth from their own experience. Been fooled before though :)
Because they are a member on here , I was told just that not long ago

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad Martin seems very likable, professional yet doesn’t degrade other brands, so it’s ok for member to do just that on here or there channel that connects from here, click on links I mean. Look if you read I’m not degrading a person or views but I’m not on my high horse to discredit another person or company users, maybe don’t understand I’ll just move on, very sad this is elementary. site should prevent compensated individuals from promoting a certain company and if they do there should be a statement on there profile stating so. It’s ok with me but no if your dealing with a salesman or genuine brother that’s trying to help, moderator I don’t think that’s asking much really. We are all detecting folks let’s learn have fun

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
I personally don't trust any paid* reviewer who is given a free detector to review it for the public, I trust the actual owners/users.

* If you are given a free product to review you are a paid reviewer by the company that gave you the product.
Yep, thats when they become nothing more the Influencers.
YouTube is awash with them for all sorts of products. Some go about it quite stealthily too. Some plain stupid right in your face.
I saw a video once for a new fishing line that was supposed to cast at least 20 meters further than anything else. I got some and at best It'll gain you 5 meters on a good day.
Don't get me started on detectors 😆

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad Martin seems very likable, professional yet doesn’t degrade other brands, so it’s ok for member to do just that on here or there channel that connects from here, click on links I mean. Look if you read I’m not degrading a person or views but I’m not on my high horse to discredit another person or company users, maybe don’t understand I’ll just move on, very sad this is elementary. site should prevent compensated individuals from promoting a certain company and if they do there should be a statement on there profile stating so. It’s ok with me but no if your dealing with a salesman or genuine brother that’s trying to help, moderator I don’t think that’s asking much really. We are all detecting folks let’s learn have fun
I asked you if you are complaining about the videos on his channel or his posts here?

tomytye

Jan 16, 2022
Ct (not a lefty)
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OR, just turn off your device! Go outside and watch birds on your feeder, work in the garden and relax. Then take your machine of choice and learn it inside and out. Plant known metals/objects in your yard and scan them repeatedly with your machine set different ways. Learn and master your tradecraft and STOP worrying about what your neighbor, “the Jones’s” of the other guy thinks, does or says. Pull on your big boy pants and cinch up your belt tight. That’ll help you hold your head high and focus on controlling what you can control, your life. Screw the other guy. Let them yammer all they want. You don’t Win by whining, you win by mastering your situation. Be the better person and prove them wrong then be happy with that knowledge and then share positivity.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked you if you are complaining about the videos on his channel or his posts here?
I see nothing here that’s offensive or degrading a company respectfully I don’t follow him here on YouTube he doesn’t let people comment he turned off, isnt that nice, look I’m just a member here, if you read others views maybe you can understand but his YouTube videos are not in good taste my opinion, it’s not on here however but maybe you should view yourself then you would understand Lastly

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I ever said show me the epic finds of the xp deus and it won’t matter the price, I told everyone justify the price by showing us the darn finds , all I here is the cosmetic of machine and what it can do. All I say is proof it in finds and they better be banner.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing here that’s offensive or degrading a company respectfully I don’t follow him here on YouTube he doesn’t let people comment he turned off, isnt that nice, look I’m just a member here, if you read others views maybe you can understand but his YouTube videos are not in good taste my opinion, it’s not on here however but maybe you should view yourself then you would understand Lastly
It is his Youtube channel he can run it as he pleases. Don't need to bring the drama here. We moderate here, not youtube.....

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is his Youtube channel he can run it as he pleases. Don't need to bring the drama here. We moderate here, not youtube.....
first Of all I’m not bringing drama sir, your not understanding the significance of the totality of the forum posting, the hell with it. Why don’t you ask people before they join here if they are a spokesperson for certain company if so state it on profile so at least we no there agenda which would be biased. Maybe I should leave the forum because moderations cover a large area and I’m not here sir to cause drama should apologize oh by the way we users that are many do monitor the site as well, good bye good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread