djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Staying out of big crowds and lots of soap and sanitize often. Everyone needs to be thinking about where they are and what they are touching. When you touch a surface, you are basically shaking hands with everyone who has touched it before you.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, government warnings to avoid crowds give us a legitimate reason to go detecting more...

ILikeMoney

Dec 21, 2014
OHIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m supposed to pick up my regular 6 boxes tomorrow. I’ll just take extra precaution with touching anything while sorting....as in not touching anything until my hands have been thoroughly disinfected. And then cleaning my workstation with a bleach water mix.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a sanitizer shortage, I started using hydrogen peroxide more with clean cloth. Might consider using gloves when necessary

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about this today when I was dumping coins in the machine. Everything being touch screens now a days.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not worried about it. Chances are it's like the flu, there's not much you can do to stop it unless you become a hermit and live off grid.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A box of latex gloves at harbor freight is cheap. Might consider those for your coin sorting.
Wal Mart sells them too in the hardware dept.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ware gloves on the first time around, then on the coins you dump, and finally wash your coins you plan on keeping. Speaking of washing, as an experiment and to prove a point to my wife, I took 4-silver avg looking silver coins and put them in an Rx bottle with COKE, and another 4 in a Rx bottle with Dawn liquid soap. Yep, you guessed right, the Coke sample coins came out much brighter than the soaped ones. Now I tell her, how much more Coke or Diet Coke are you going to drink. I rest my case.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think about how much of this virus is getting around by non coin roll hunters handling money both paper and coin. How long can the virus live on those surfaces?

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
I think about how much of this virus is getting around by non coin roll hunters handling money both paper and coin. How long can the virus live on those surfaces?

From USA Today:

How long does the virus live on an object like a dollar bill?

— John from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Depending on the type of surface, the virus can stay on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days, according to the WHO. A recent study by scientists in the U.S. found that viable virus could be detected up to three hours later in the air, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.

It's possible that you can become infected if you touch your face after touching a surface or object that has the virus on it, according to the CDC. But scientists don't think surfaces are the main way that the virus spreads; the most common form of infection is from respiratory droplets spread by a person's cough or sneeze, the CDC reports.

Meanwhile, the WHO says it is very unlikely that the virus will persist on a surface after being moved, traveled and exposed to different conditions and temperatures. That means the virus cannot spread through goods manufactured in China or any country reporting coronavirus cases.

At the same time, the WHO is reportedly encouraging people to use as many digital payment options as possible. Viruses can survive on hard surfaces like coins for days in some cases. U.S dollars, a blend of fabric and paper, are harder for viruses to stick to.​

Sounds like up to 24 hours on our boxes, difficult to stick to on paper money, and possibly days on CWRs and/or teller tray coins. I personally have upped my usage of bank provided hand sanitizer from "once or twice a day" to "most banks". Couldn't hurt is the way I look at it. I am in my 30's, so I'm not in what the CDC considers the high risk. For my CRHing friends that are 60+, please be careful out there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will it spread by the mosquito

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if someone in a prison gets it

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many metals have anti-microbial properties:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicrobial_properties_of_copper

Copper, in particular, has been used for a wide variety of anti-microbial purposes. Copper compounds are used to kill algal blooms in ponds. They are also used in aquariums to kill some bacterial diseases. In aquariums, the copper persists in the silicone and can kill beneficial bacteria in bio-filters for many years.

I've given dozens of sterling silver infant spoons as gifts to new parents. When they asked me if they should use it or put it away, I mentioned that silver has anti-microbial properties, so go ahead and use it (I included a cheap stainless spoon in case they wanted to save the sterling one).

I once saw an estimate that flu viruses lived for up to 9 days on keys and remotes. Nobody knows about this new c-19.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s one of the reasons copper is used for water pipes.

New construction around here usually uses PVC to save a few bucks but the houses I've built for ourselves have had copper water pipes.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dumped $1000 in halves yesterday at my credit union that uses a coinstar - free for customers. It was the first time I've seen the tellers wearing nitrile gloves. This thing may change the way we do things going forward.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, was more wondering about precautions in the hobby with this post, not life in general. Apparently my CU may be closing down for a bit (small town perks), so I may not have to worry.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldn't surprise me if the federal govt put a ban on use of money (paper & coin) until further notice. All transactions to be done via credit card. Watch some pea-brain in Washington DC come up with this idea, there goes our CRH hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread