Just for fun- Tell your most interesting/strangest MD story

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
First thing they always did when i put the coin and the initials on the backside of the curb by the drop for their driveway was run into the house to get mom and dad. They would get so excited about it they had to show their parents. After that they just never got into the concrete. Not sure about child psychology but it worked.. Parents may have had something to do with it also, but most of the damage that was ever done to our wet concrete was done by adults. People just got to put the names in it. :)

Doug-Iowa

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinshooter said:
the whole thing is rectangular shaped, about 8" thick by 9" wide by 20" wide and it tapers on the ends. On the bottom it is squared out on the edges.
Sounds like a weight for a press, early print press, bet you big there is a good market for it too, people seem to have taken a liking to the old presses for kitchen furniture in rustic decor, on account of the old presses being made out of very thick planked hardwood and beam

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I am always impressed when someone finds a silver dollar. I wish there was more of that type of stuff lost here in San Diego. I do have a friend that found one of these in Balboa Park that was dated in the late 1800's. To me this would be almost the equivalent of finding a Rolex!

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
I bump this post for two reasons:

1) Because Cptbil sounded like he had a really neat story to tell, and I want to hear it.

2) Because [email protected] had a similar post and I thought he may with to read some of these ones....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just interested in hearing about weird finds, big finds, double eagles, whatever....

No.....No attacks on members please. Our rules dont say no attacks except for.......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also thought the block could be a tractor weight. Just saw this post, so I will try and remember to dig out the metal block and photo it.

7/8/14 - Took pics of two blocks I have found. Anyone know if these are tractor weights or something else?
The coin is a US Quarter.

Attachments

• DSCN6752.JPG
    DSCN6752.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN6754.JPG
    DSCN6754.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN6755.JPG
    DSCN6755.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN6756.JPG
    DSCN6756.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....We did search the area, but found nothing else. I guess I can say this was in fact found due to dowsing....

No. It's called "selective memory". If you'd found nothing, you'd have written it off to sun spots, ground minerals, or a soda can you found. But the minute you find something good: Presto, the dowsing must've done it!

Example: I researched that there was a possible adobe site (those are 1820s/30s dwellings in the mission influenced areas of colonial CA). I surveyed the land in the area of my research, and spotted a likely looking spot where this habitation might have been located. A high spot bluff, overlooking a pond. I hike out to it, and sample the entire terrain. No go. Obviously not the spot. Because there was no iron (except for an occasional grunt). Thus obviously no structure had ever been there. However, as I turned to hike back out, I got a perfect penny/dime signal, there in the middle of nowhere. Dug it up, and it was a '24s wheatie. Obviously a fluke farmer or horse-back rider loss.

Point is: metal (and coins, and even a half-dollar), can be anywhere. If you wave your coat hanger in any direction, and walk out, and swing a detector long enough, guess what? You'll find metal.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the other day I was on my knees, pulling a 7 UP can free from the hole I had just dug when this guy who could clearly watched me stop and dig, asked me, "So, ever find anything with that thing?" I just smiled as I shook the dirt off the can and placed it into my trash container then he got this look on his face and spit out, "I mean you know, like jewels or dollar bills?"

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a grade school built in the 50's and finally started to find silver but some of the clad quarters were really torn up due to the fertilizer being used every year on grass. So one day I get this signal very deep, and I'm digging and digging, and at 12" I find what looks like another bad shape quarter. So i throw it in my coin pouch and think no more about it. Anyway, later that night when cleaning my coins and still thinking it's a QTR, I'm scrubbing away with baking soda - then i start to see this odd pattern and realized that it was not any quarter. But I still had no idea what it was. So I pulled my coin book with pics of most American coins including Colonial Coins and I determine that i had found a Nova Constellatio and oldest coin ever found to date at that point in my MD'ing. And the patina gone from this coin, i scrubbed off myself! I doubt that I'll find another one. When I finally talked to a guy who did the landscaping/mowing and asked about the very odd difference between that ground area and the rest of the fields - he says, "oh that soil was all hauled in from somewhere. We replaced about one foot of dirt there." Very strange.
Nova Constellatio with no date (1783-1786)A.jpg

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just 11 years?
Hah! Well, my garage has a lot of stuff in it. Had to dig these out.
:laughing7:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
With a handful of exceptions, every site that I've hit has produced a terminal from a car battery. It doesn't matter where. Parks, homesteads, ball fields, the woods...if it's my first time there, I'm probably going to find a terminal. Sometimes I find more than one.

The fake 1878 50 DM medallion that I posted about a few months back. I found that at a playfield a few blocks from my home. I've found one reference to these items on a German numismatic site. Not only is it a very unusual item, but I'd think that it's unusual to find something like that under a blackberry bush next to a ball field.

How about the time I got trolled hard at a homestead? Remembering advice that I'd read here, I decided to look for obvious hiding spots for a cache. There was a very large tree about twenty feet from where the house used to be. Sounds promising, right? I found a few iron relics and then got a hit that damned near blew the headphones off my ears. I dug down about a foot and hit rusted iron. Now excited, I began removing more dirt and discovered that this old iron object was square. A box? Almost frantically, I began prying it out and recovered...the door from a cast iron wood stove. Why was that even down there? Who does something like that? :)

On the corner of a playfield here in town that was the site of a school from the twenties to the fifties, one can find an astonishing amount of vintage car parts down to about a foot; after recovering a cool hubcap and a mirror, and uncovering the ends of some larger parts, we decided to just avoid all the big iron signals in that area. I'm still not sure how they got there. I suppose that they could have come in with fill dirt, but that corner doesn't appear to have ever been filled and is level with the street and surrounding properties, all of which date to the twenties as well. I've got nothing.

I found a shallow .45 ACP bullet in a friend's front yard, maybe fifteen feet from the door. It had rifling marks on it and was more or less horizontal in the dirt, so it had not been shot into the ground from close range. My theory is that it floated in from another part of town with just enough energy left to bury itself down an inch or two. This is obviously a stranger find in some communities than others; unfortunately, here in Bremerton, I was not particularly surprised to find something like this.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in S. Korea. Went to a place between two villages.....started getting a lot of signals. Found a cache of bullets, shell casings, buttons, and other assorted metal items that were from the Korean War. It was like a small garbage dump. I saved
about 10 different shell casings w/different numbers on the butt end, a number of snaps, many reading "Klik-it", and pieces of a couple of buckles.....plus about 20 old holed coins dating from the 1600's. The oldest was a Chinese coin dating about 1,000 years old.....but very common. And, got a few nice pieces of complete pottery. The military dump was a first, in over 30+ years of hunting Korea. AND......no snakes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread