Just for fun- Tell your most interesting/strangest MD story

Hardpan

Mar 20, 2003
Wierd Find

Four-wheeled up to a pass in the Rockies at 13,600 feet, was waiting for a relative to four-wheel up from the other side. Had a gold detector with me from prospecting earlier in the day, so I decided to detect while I was waiting. Found a heavy 18 Karat gold charm on my third swing. Continued, and found lots of assorted clad change nearby. Absolutely the strangest place for me to make a find. Wierd, but true!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have been some "Gold" that you found!
Did it ring on your detector?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A detecting friend and I were talking about the possibility of dowsing actually working or not, and how if it really did work(as most people feel it does) that getting rich would be easy.

We cut a couple of coat-hangers, bent them in an L shape, and gave it a try. I kept getting a response when ever I pointed out in the middle of a near by plowed wheat field, so we grabbed out detectors and walked about 1/4 mile where I got another response.

I was following my buddy when I got a solid signal, and when I looked down, there was a 1944 walking liberty half sticking 1/2 out of the ground. I called to my buddy to come look at this you just walked over. It was tarnished black on the 1/2 that had apparently been sticking out of the ground for some time.

We did search the area, but found nothing else. I guess I can say this was in fact found due to dowsing.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came upon some weird ritualistic alter built in the sand on the beach the other day with some jewelry hanging off of it. I decided to leave it alone as I din't want to disturb the powers within. Kind of creepy, but I figured it was probably a tribute to someone who had passed away. After the sand strainer comes by and mows it down I am sure someone will find the small bracelet I saw, but not me!

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
My most interesting find is a very nice 1902 Nickel. I was locating for diggers hotline where they were going to replace a sidewalk in front of an old house. I gained permission from the owner, and came back that night. Just on a whim I went over her concrete and got a nice signal. I asked her if I could break out that piece, and found my nickel. It was on top of the fill sand and under the concrete. I suppose the person who was doing the original sidewalk dropped it.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Scarey

:shock: Hay! Can I tell a really, REAL :? Spooky tale?
It has nothing to do with MD'ing!
We were TH'ing at the time!
This story has three sane, sober, (at the time) witnesses!
It happened in the Superstition Mnts, Az.
I will type it up right now, if OK? :?:
:?: OK??

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Sounds interesting! I am glad that some ppl are replying on this thread- and nice break from the same old, same old.... :D

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My 'Most Unusual' find ever was a loaded revolver. :shock: No kidding! On a beach in Southern California. It hadn't been there long, (no rust) and it was at low tide on the wet sand. I got a 'big' 'wide' ferrous signal, and only decided to dig because it was so large, and I knew it couldn't be a nail. Six inches down my sand scoop caught it, and it wedged so that when I pulled it out, a revolver was pointed at my face! The bullets were visible, and I freaked... Took me 15 minutes to collect my senses, realize where I was (so I could tell the police) and get it to a life guard station. Took them under a minute to get there, where they confiscated the revolver and took down my information and gave me a receipt. 90 days later I was able to get it back as it didn't match a crime check, wasn't reported stolen or missing, and hadn't been claimed by anyone else. A month later I was in the same area and a 2-yr old in diapers was digging in that exact same spot. Glad the gun wasn't there when he was. 8)

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
Mercuryman

It was probably placed there intentionally. I paved streets for many years and we often put coins from the year it was done under the slab in the dirt. Just enough cover so it wouldn't stick to the concrete. I also put coins in the backs of curb quite often. Along with the kids initials that was wanting to write in my concrete. This usually worked to keep them out of it. :D

Doug-Iowa

Attachments

• IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 35

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
Doug-Iowa, was that coin under the concrete thing an old tradition, or something you just did? Sounds interesting. I had never heard of that. Thanks. mercuryman

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
It is just something I used to do when the weight of the change got to be to much in my pocket.. LOL The coins on the back of the curb by their driveways was a plan i came up with to keep the kids from destroying my concrete after I left. It worked really well.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I know when we were rebuilding my cousins house I dropped a NM set of current coins into the wall in a plastic bag.

Just seemed a neat thing to do :)

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Yep, and when I built my new sidewalk, I put two 2003 quarters under the last stone.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Almost forgot about another real unusual find... this off a beach again, but from the dry sand. I got a loud signal and scooped up what looked like a big purse or camera case, but it was open and full of sand. :?: There were all sorts of little things- needles, they turned out to be, so I collected it all together. When I got it home and started cleaning it up, I found what appeared to be a calculator. It turned out to be a diabetic's test kit.

The only identification was a receipt from the doctor that had a signature on it. When I called the doctor, they had the patient's name on file who said her kit was stolen from her backpack while she was in a book store. I got her phone number and called, she said to send it C.O.D., and she would pay the shipping. :)

Then after sending it (and paying the $10 charge) I got the package back, she had declined receipt and got another unit. So I lost ten bucks. :(

So I donated it to a local hospital; a cousin said they could always use something like that and the original unit was probably worth $100. :lol:

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
ok.... this isn't a find, but I found it quite amusing....

I was teaching a friend to hunt at the beach, she took the high bank, I took the low. I saw 2 people coming up behind me. they STAYED behind me and one to the left of me was looking over my shoulder. So as I turned to my left to ask what he wanted as he was trying to get in front of me, *WHACK* on his ankle... as I was taking the coil out of the way of his feet (to the right) *WHACK*, got the other guys ankle.... They were interested, but were afraid to approach for some odd reason, that'll teach them...

I need one of those "danger zone" shirts, LOL....

HH
Chiz
8)

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was allowed to hunt my neighbor's back yard. Found some interesting things, but was in a corner near a wall when I got a loud signal. Dug down about a foot and found a large flat iron piece. After reading W&ET for so many years and seeing what everyone had found in metal boxes and tins, I was really excited to find out what this was. I dug down the side and the metal just kept on going. It was flat on the top and flat on the side. After reaching the bottom at about 8" and the edges of the top at about 20" I managed to get my hands under it. I pulled very hard and it didn't move.
I pulled harder and eventually it started to move. I got this piece of iron out of the ground and it probably weighs about 120 lbs. After getting it out of the ground and looking at it, the whole thing is rectangular shaped, about 8" thick by 9" wide by 20" wide and it tapers on the ends. On the bottom it is squared out on the edges. I am thinking it was used as a type of railroad rail hold down. I think there is also a hole directly in the center.
I have taken to using it as a great place to hammer things. Needless to say it was very fun to try and carry across the street to my house. lol

ricknaks

Jun 14, 2003
el dorado kansas
Detector(s) used
ace 250/fisher f5
allot of cool storys,hear are a couple of mine,one time well detecting at a old gold clam,we stoped at a spring to get a drink ,and as i jumped across the water i got a strong signel ,wich ternd out to be a center part of a clasp and reath belt buckel from the indian war of 1812.another time after serching around a old tree ,verry thurally. i got a strong signel several days later well going to my car, i passed over this same spot,and it turnd out to be a 1922/s peace dallar at just about 2 inches,i cant beleave i mist it the few days erler

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Curious, how would that keep them out of the concrete?

Doug-Iowa said:
It is just something I used to do when the weight of the change got to be to much in my pocket.. LOL The coins on the back of the curb by their driveways was a plan i came up with to keep the kids from destroying my concrete after I left. It worked really well.

How would doing that, keep them out of the fresh concrete?

Just curious.

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions