just for fun where would you dig??

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
with it being so hot i only have a few hours to dig.so iam only going to dig one hole.iam thinking this sandbar or where the steams come together on the left side of the picture.these are to different steams.where would you dig?
brad
attachment.php

Attachments

• Resized_20210902_002709.jpeg
    Resized_20210902_002709.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well since it's HOT where you want to "dig" , I'd bring the biggest back hoe I could find to make sure I got a "good sample " .. If your time "digging" is so limited because of the heat and doing this after work. And I'd dig just down stream of where the water comes back together and dig all the way across that line and as deep as the equipment would go! That would keep you screening and panning the rest of the year at home in the cool !:occasion14:

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
cool .but picks and shovels here in ca. thanks brad
Well since it's HOT where you want to "dig" , I'd bring the biggest back hoe I could find to make sure I got a "good sample " .. If your time "digging" is so limited because of the heat and doing this after work. And I'd dig just down stream of where the water comes back together and dig all the way across that line and as deep as the equipment would go! That would keep you screening and panning the rest of the year at home in the cool !:occasion14:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Infrequent flash floods just don't concentrate the desert gold like in the mountains. Still the spot looks good to sample........go for it Brad!

BTW; you need to teach your pooch to sniff out the gold

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
thanks. iwill use your ideas when i go
brad
Infrequent flash floods just don't concentrate the desert gold like in the mountains. Still the spot looks good to sample........go for it Brad!

BTW; you need to teach your pooch to sniff out the gold

Reactions: Fat

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to find gold in a big wash. I always look for a feeder wash that has large gravels and cobbles, Large cobbles means large gold.
Plus it's more concentrated.

But shhh dont tell anyone our secret.

As far as that large wash is concerned, look for concentrations of big gravels and larger cobbles combined with black sand and dig there.
Sometimes a wash will cut through an ancient river bed or channel exposing smooth and rounded gravels and cobbles which would be a great place to sample.

Also check along the inside bends of the wash along the bank wall for exposed gravel layers and sample them working deeper down toward bedrock
Dont bother digging in loose sand unless you plan to dig all the way down to bedrock.

GG~

P.S. when posting screenshots you may want to crop out the coordinates.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reactions: Fat

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anywhere in that wash should be good. The most current water location may not be the most productive. Consider the thousand year history of the wash and look for other more "ancient" water flow indicators. Look for bedrock in the wash, if any, and sample just down-stream from the rock. Are there any ledges in the wash? Large boulders? Tujunga is near Los Angeles, I believe. Go try up at Heaton Flats. I found good gold up there in the '80s. ╦╦C

Last edited:

Rte

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start with a witching stick.
Gold monster 1000 and depending on which way the water runs, find a low spot and search them first.
Really depends how fast the water moves or moved and then check low spots in front or behind large boulders.

I'm in the Arizona desert, we dont see water move very quickly or often so it's a matter of look for a spot where the water has run in the last 100-200-1000 years, then stick a pick in the ground.
20210530_094927.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
i would love to see ground like that.
brad

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
well i dug a 3ft x 7ft trench down to the caliche.and vacuumed the bottom .also ran alot of the dirt of the bottom ft. only got maybe 1/10 of a gram.oh great weather.i guess i will try a bottle rocket to find my next spot'.thanks for all the input.
also the new smooth bore hose worked great i can now vacuum out from a 3ft hole without the dam vacuum in the hole,pretty cool
Resized_20210930_121821.jpeg
Resized_20210930_121920.jpeg
Resized_20210930_133258.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread