Just Starting Out - Equinox 800 - Derbyshire UK:

Jan 16, 2021
Derbyshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks, I'm a 40 year old male based in Derbyshire UK who is just starting out and wanted to say hello, and that I look forward to learning more from you all.

I have decided to go with the Minelab Equinox 800, plus Minelab pin pointer and accessories.

I am also....

1: Joining the NCMD.
2: Paying for a £25 permit from my local council.
3: Have bought a nice rucksack.
4: Have bought a nice pair of wellies and gloves.
5: Have bought a big posh flask.
6: Will be getting a nice spade.
7: Have looked into changing the shaft on the NOX 800.
8: Have looked into changing the O-Rings on the NOX 800.
9: Have bought 3 or 4 books of metal detecting.
10: I'm now here posting on the forum.

Guess that's about where I'm at so far, however any other advice would be appreciated.

My main plan is to detect in public places such as parks / playgrounds / sports fields and living in the UK I would imagine most of those areas will be medium to high trash. I have decided for now I'll run with the stock coil however am wondering if I'd be best with a sniper coil in the UK parks.

Like most people I'd like to find silver and gold, however even for history's sake the occasional nice old coin or artifact would be nice, even if they are not worth much it's still a part of history.

I think for a while the general plan will be to “DIG EVERYTHING” until I get use to the various different tones, sounds and functions. Plus to be honest I don't mind clearing some of the trash out of my local hunting grounds, in fact in my eyes digging up 5,000 pull tabs is 5,000 chocking hazards that could kill babies now removed, or 5,000 cut hazards that slice open dogs paws.

That in my eyes if me removing 2,000 rusty nails saves even 1 child from a nasty accident or even Tetanus that I'm game for that. In which case for a while at least I'll probably dig everything then then in months to come start looking at building a proper search settings and tones on the Nox.

One slight disappointment is that I planned to take my metal detector on holidays outside the UK and planned to swim / dive / wade in the sea and rivers. However whilst the Nox is waterproof it seems using it in water is highly risky and sometimes the battery or LCD screen flood with water. Its seems to go wading / diving I'd either need a proper diving detector, or just a cheaper machine.

Basically I don't think I'd want to risk the Nox underwater, however taking into account that for now 90% of my detecting would be on land then its not really a problem. Plus I guess if I didn't submerge the main control device then some river and beach searching would be possible.

For now I'd like to replace the shaft on the Nox 800 and maybe the O-Rings which I have heard are not very good quality. However am a little unsure what shaft would be best, I have heard some of the carbon fibre ones are lighter / better / more functional so maybe one of those would be better?

I also need to look up on laws and the Treasures Act which confuses me slightly, for example if someone finds 1 nice quality Roman coin is that really classed as an historical find, or do they mean when you find like 100 / 300 coins all in the same place.

I was a fisherman for years so can handle the weather, however so far this seems like the much better more active hobby that gets me walking in the lovely countryside all whilst having a chance at finding some buried treasure. Well taking into account I was a fisherman for 20 years and on a country walking team I think I'll get on fine with this hobby, its more active and has more reward.

I am a little worried about some things, for example I am an insanely early riser and sometimes are awake from 4am meaning ideally I'd like to set off detecting really early so that I miss the rush of people in paces like parks and playgrounds. I mean from the films I have watched it seems a lot of people ask metal detectors questions such as:

How much does your metal detector cost mate? What have you found mate? Have you got permission to be here? I mean sure whilst I'd have a permit it would perhaps be best just avoid those questions. Plus I'd not feel that happy about telling the local groups of teenagers that my metal detector is worth £800 and I just found a gold ring, I'd end up with a punch in the face and a group of kids running off with my metal detector.

Kind of like saying I'm a little worried I'll be out at 5am just before it gets light and police or locals might look at me like I'm “Night Hawking” when really I'm just an early riser trying to avoid the rush of people later in the day. I am also totally confused about “Forests” I mean I'm not even sure if the local farmers own the forests, or if they would even care if I detected there, I mean after all many of these waste patches of forest are hardy even used by anyone, not even the farmers.

I can see a farmer been upset if you dug up their field or damaged crops or planting beds, however why would anyone be upset at you checking a forest where no one even goes. You know some small patches of forest are so isolated not even dog walkers go there, so sometimes feels a bit blurry regarding who owns the field, and who owns the forest, or if forests are viewed as public grounds.

I'm aware that for some reason a certain number of people seem to really dislike metal detectors, I have read some stories of members of the public shouting at metal detectors / filming metal detectors / marching over and asking if you have permission / threatening to call police. I'm not even sure why as from what I can see most metal detectors are respectable and knowledgable people often with thousands of pound worth of equipment on hand.

I mean these aren't thugs and robbers out doing damage, like 99% of what I have seen so far are all jut nice folk enjoying a pleasant and rewarding hobby. I certainly don't get the hate towards metal detectors from some people, I mean as an ex country walker and fisherman I can't think of even 1 problem in over 20 years that we had with someone metal detecting.

The farmer thing also seems a little stupid as seemingly a lot of farmers refuse metal detector access to their land. I mean honestly if someone approached me and asked to spend the next few months digging all of the crap out of my fields, you know all of that crap that pollutes the soil and damages my farm machinery and the environment then I'd be over the moon.

I mean what? Your going to dig half the crap out of my field for free, plus if you do find anything amazing I might get a share? Sure go ahead, crack on mate have a field day. I would even save all the rotted horse shoes / all the rotting plough parts and show them the farmer after just so he knows his field is a bit cleaner than before, that those things are not going to damage his farm equipment.

I think what is even more annoying is that due to EU support and subsidies to farmers a lot of fields in the UK lay unused for years. You know catch a train and 25% of the fields you pass aren't even been used and would be 100% free to detect on. I honestly can't see why a farmer would even have an issue with you detecting on their land, in fact I'd see it as a useful free service. You know even in a pasture you could say the rusty nail is better in the bin than his cows foot.

I'll probably be back in a few months wanting to start a Jihad against whoever created pull tabs, for now however guess I'll embark of the next few years of pulling up every rusty nail and pull tab possible until I learn a little more and get my detector dialled in properly for my environment.

Personally I couldn't care if people keep their finds / sell them / or gave them to historical causes, I still think its fairly awesome knowing half the historical finds wouldn't even get found without metal detectors. I mean half the coins / weapons / relics in museums are only there because someone pulled them out of the ground, because someone tuck the time to find them.

For now good luck and happy hunting for 2021, and for my first year hunting as well. Who knows I may even get beginners luck for a while :)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: United Kingdom for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to the forum

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sheesh! You aren't going to save any babies or dogs by digging pulltabs or rusty nails. I suppose you do not own any property yourself if you think farmers should just let anybody have a go on their land. You are not going to save any farm equipment from damage nor are you going to make the soil any better by digging junk or good targets from it. Some property owners give permission, some don't simple as that. I would just tell you NO if you told me that nutty stuff about saving my equipment or making my soil better by removing objects from my property or saving babies. There are detector clubs, perhaps you should join one and learn directly from others, and many clubs do get farm field permissions for their members. Pretty much all property that isn't owned by the state is private property and permission is required. If the thought of people coming up to you and asking if you have permission to hunt there or constantly asking what you have found bothers you perhaps you have chosen the wrong hobby. It is supposed to be friendly and many folks are just curious, and people asking questions is part of the game and you need to be nice to them.

There is nothing wrong with the factory shafts, they work just fine, only some early versions had a wobble issue. If you need to spend more money help yourself but fancy shafts do not contribute one bit to finding good targets and the carbon fiber ones only save maybe two ounces over the factory shafts.

The Equinox IS a cheap water hunting machine, real saltwater diving detectors cost twice what the Nox does.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York, USA! Great machine, now read that manual and get on the headphones! Big Gold to you!!:hello2:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet, Pull Tab Master and thanks for the introduction! :hello:
Nick

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello And Welcome From Southeast Louisiana!!! "D"

TannersHatch

Jan 18, 2021
Brighton, UK
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My main plan is to detect in public places such as parks / playgrounds / sports fields and living in the UK I would imagine most of those areas will be medium to high trash. I have decided for now I'll run with the stock coil however am wondering if I'd be best with a sniper coil in the UK parks....

I think for a while the general plan will be to “DIG EVERYTHING” until I get use to the various different tones, sounds and functions. Plus to be honest I don't mind clearing some of the trash out of my local hunting grounds, in fact in my eyes digging up 5,000 pull tabs is 5,000 chocking hazards that could kill babies now removed, or 5,000 cut hazards that slice open dogs paws.....

I also need to look up on laws and the Treasures Act which confuses me slightly, for example if someone finds 1 nice quality Roman coin is that really classed as an historical find, or do they mean...

Great intro post. I'm new to his particular forum also. A couple of things I might be able to help with...
ou find like 100 / 300 coins all in the same place....

Hi Pull Tab Master,

If your searching High trash areas then I'd say yes get a sniper coil. They really help with target separation and on a DD there very little compromise in depth even compared to the 11'' stock coil.

In regard to the 'DIG EVERYTHING' philosophy I really wouldn't recommend it unless your relic and artefact hunting particularly. In a UK park it would be a long and frustrating day digging every signal. I recommend running your NOX on a high discrimination at first if your coin and Jewellery hunting and ignore the low conductive targets for now, then open up your accepted targets as you adjust to your machine.

The treasure act in the UK basically says if its 300yrs old and has a precious metal content of 10% or more its treasure. If it has a lesser precious metal content you would need a hoard of 10 coins to amount to 'treasure' status . Remember to report any such finds to your FLO (finds liaison officer).

You mention parks as a target site. Unfortunately you are almost certain to be denied permission if you ask UK councils as they seem to have a blanket policy of not allowing detectorists to use their parks as hobby hunting grounds.
Its annoying I know but the only place you can detect without formal permission in the UK is the beach or your own land. If the police are called they can confiscate and perhaps even destroy your detector (which in your case would be a particularly expensive day). Worse if you did find 'treasure' didnt declare it to the FLO and got caught you can be looking at years in prison (especially if you attempt to sell such finds). It has happened in the past.

Finally, in regard to Yob's etc Id be more scared of the Farmer and his Dogs coming at me through the early morning mist for digging up his land without permission than them. I understand and agree in many ways with what you say regarding why they should be pleased to have us there but unfortunately some bad apples who detect without permission first often leave plugs unfilled and the area in a mess. If the farmer has livestock the risk of an animal breaking its leg after stepping in an unfilled plug is very real. You may not have been the one that caused his prize bull to be put down but if your the one he sees your gonna get the repercussions.

Don't lose hope though, its surprising how many permissions you can get just asking friends and family for contacts.

I'm sure you'll be really successful wherever you hunt with that beast you have there. An awesome machine. Ill look forward to seeing how you get on and your finds mate.

all the best and good luck!

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet a little late but still wanted to say it. Tommy