Just starting out in San Diego area.

Seabeck

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2022
My youngest son has gotten the itch of metal detecting, so I'm trying to get him started and encourage him in pursuing his hobbies.

We live in Ramona, CA, just about 45 minutes from San Diego. This weekend I rented some metal detectors from Sunbelt Rentals and went to the beach with my sons to try them out. We didn't find anything besides rusty nails and beer caps, but we still had a good time. I've never metal detected in my life, so my son and I were elarning together.

Anyways, I'm trying to piece together some tools and everything he needs to metal detect, as we only had the detectors and some hand shovels, and realized how difficult it was without a pinpointer and sifter at the beach . So I have been watching videos with him, reading forums and trying to learn as much about the hobby as I can. Glad to have found this site, and if anyone has any advice for a newbie, I would love to hear it.

I'm looking at getting a pair of Simplex detectors. And I know I'll need a good shovel, sifter, pinpointer, and headphones for each of us. If there is any other equipment that is a must have or makes life a lot easier, please let me know.
PXL_20220521_220734804.jpg

OP
OP
S

Seabeck

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2022
Also, if anyone around the SD area would want to meet up and show us the basics, that would be amazing.

MomPirate

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2022
Good luck! Our stories are similar. My son wanted to get into the hobby and I was super excited as I always loved to tinker around with my grandfather's old metal detector when I was a kid. I bought a Simplex (does not get here until Thursday) but found a great deal on Amazon (comes with bluetooth headphones, pinpointer) and the price for the bundle dropped $100 the other day! I bought my son a Ricomax. He's only 8 and I let him pick it out himself after browsing the reviews on it. Too bad I live in Denver, or I'd love to join you! Good luck and I am looking forward to your finds!

OP
OP
S

Seabeck

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2022
Good luck! Our stories are similar. My son wanted to get into the hobby and I was super excited as I always loved to tinker around with my grandfather's old metal detector when I was a kid. I bought a Simplex (does not get here until Thursday) but found a great deal on Amazon (comes with bluetooth headphones, pinpointer) and the price for the bundle dropped $100 the other day! I bought my son a Ricomax. He's only 8 and I let him pick it out himself after browsing the reviews on it. Too bad I live in Denver, or I'd love to join you! Good luck and I am looking forward to your finds!
My youngest is 8 too. I love seeing young kids finding outdoor hobbies, so I really want to encourage my son to find things that take patience so he can learn to enjoy things that aren't instantly gratifying and enjoy the time he spends doing it with or without a successful find.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this is a way you wanna bring up a child in this day and age. Way to many dangerous elements to avoid on young minds, such as the harmful effects of VGA.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
S

Seabeck

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2022
Yes, this is a way you wanna bring up a child in this day and age. Way to many dangerous elements to avoid on young minds, such as the harmful effects of VGA.
I agree. I know technology is the way of the future and in every aspect of daily life, but I want my kids to be able to disconnect from screens and enjoy the life going on around them and discover nature and have their own adventures. Even if all their friends get to play video games and watch youtube all day and I have to hear how unfair it is, I know they will appreciate it and be better off as adults.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I know technology is the way of the future and in every aspect of daily life, but I want my kids to be able to disconnect from screens and enjoy the life going on around them and discover nature and have their own adventures. Even if all their friends get to play video games and watch youtube all day and I have to hear how unfair it is, I know they will appreciate it and be better off as adults.
My wife does consulting and they're now specializing in VGA and she tells me stories of young dads addicted and unable to keep a job and having their home foreclosed on and wives leaving all because they won't stop playing video game's.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a finds bag for trash and your finds. Since you live in Ramona try all the parks around you, preferably the wood chip areas at the playgrounds. I found a gold earring and a lot of change last time I was down there visiting relatives in Alpine,Ramona and Julian. I have always thought about going down to Glamis and looking around for stuff lost where everyone camps while they are out riding.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also welcome to T-Net. You can also try the rodeo grounds around the grandstands but I haven't been there since the 80's so a lot may have changed they might not even have rodeo anymore.

OP
OP
S

Seabeck

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2022
Also welcome to T-Net. You can also try the rodeo grounds around the grandstands but I haven't been there since the 80's so a lot may have changed they might not even have rodeo anymore.
The rodeo grounds are still there. Thats a great idea, I think we have another rodeo coming up here pretty soon.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard!

arizona88

Greenie
Jun 29, 2022
Get a finds bag for trash and your finds. Since you live in Ramona try all the parks around you, preferably the wood chip areas at the playgrounds. I found a gold earring and a lot of change last time I was down there visiting relatives in Alpine,Ramona and Julian. I have always thought about going down to Glamis and looking around for stuff lost where everyone camps while they are out riding.
The glam is camp area you are going to find nail after nail there maybe some good stuff but having gone riding at glamis a lot I have seen the trash left behind. Also beer cans.

arizona88

Greenie
Jun 29, 2022
My family and I are going to San Diego this weekend and staying by the beach. I’m bringing my equinox 800 there and hitting the beach really early morning. I don’t like being out when everyone is out then you get people coming up asking if you found anything or try and have you find something they lost in an area like 5 years ago lol. My step daughter likes to come with me when I do it and sweep it. She is also 8 and she doesn’t grasp the concept of slow and not touching the ground lol. She just hears sounds and gets excited.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Grandson just got a Simplex. I sat him down with a video available from our library called Metal Detecting the Beach. Covers all the stuff you are interested in, just specific to Florida regarding which beaches to hit. Local public libraries here have a ton of resources on detecting and treasure hunting. Your location would likely be the same. Good luck have a great time. I've gotten my money's worth in family time alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread