Just Watched Calabash's Rant on American Metal Detector Companies

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's YOUR opinion? Does he have a good point? I have to be honest, I couldn't believe he's wearing Crocs, and the toilet paper was distracting, but after I got over myself I heard the point he is making. I guess I'm just not as concerned about it. We already know who the posers are - hell, they are self-evident. New guys getting conned? I know it happens, I just.. CROCs? Really?:tongue3::thumbsup:

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see people wearing them outside all the time, but not this time of year.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be a die hard Fisher guy then tesoro. I am not brand loyal any more I just want the best results.
I have been very pleased the nox and I have an ORX on the way. I hope it's as good as they say in iron.
I wear crocs but not to Wal-Mart or church.lol

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry... what's wrong with Crocs ?

Boat shoes that float... they aren't pretty but hey they work great.

I swore I would never own a pair... but then I had an opportunity to buy new ones for 5 bucks a pair... bought 2 pairs... wished I bought at least 5... most comfortable easy to use shoes I have ever owned... can wear in shower to clean and dries in minutes.

Great invention... hope they make them more stylely... for I would never wear in public... but around the house and yard... great... um... they are perfect.

Fisher and minelab for me... period.

And VP 580 is the only PP I will ever use.

Come on AARC, you know the drill, no photos, it didn't happen. Let's see the crocs!!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Terry, i think you have been around detectors maybe as long as I and some others here. I think popularity of the game has heavily influenced the influx of foreign made machines with better technology. When I got my Garrett BF0 in 1970 there were basically two choices, White's or Garrett. Garrett had just tamed the BFO with his patented "0 drift" technology and I was introduced to detecting at civil war collector meets in VA so I got what they liked-Garrett BFO as the best all around machine. You may remember when Metrotec came out and blew relic hunting into high gear, and Nautilus suddeny made the best salt machine. Those two companies didn't last long yet they made great machines, I think the market was flooded with not as many hunters and they couldn't sell enough over time. If another American company today came out with a modern game changer like Metrotec and Nautilus did they would sell like crazy because there are sooo many hunters. Instead, Minelab, and Deus have blown American innovation out of the water. Minelab was around down under as serious gold seeker but it took a while to catch on here, now they rule the world. Remember before the American car companies got bailed out by we taxpayers (who never received any compensation)? The foreign cars were safer, lasted longer, and often got better gas mileage. After the bail out what happened?American car companies began making safer longer lasting cars with good fuel economy. It is sad that we lost Whites and Tesoro, but I'm hoping the American companies rally like the auto industry did and get some better designers or spend more on R&D and bring us the best machines but made right here. As far as crocs go my buddy in AZ wears 'em around his house and yard, not for me but they like 'em in the warmer climates. Th TP? maybe he had a runny nose? Calabash, loved the rant!!

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of R&D of a new machine, they spent the resources in recruiting some bearded duck guy that was famous with his family a while back.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never even tried on a pair of crocs because I didn’t want to fall in love with them. And as far as Calabash has opinions go I enjoy it he has really helped me out over the years and I can tell you I went from the Fisher F75 chatterbox and Garrett Max to that 800 and never look back and I could tell you Calabash put me on his relic program and in owe my 2020 year to him I found more relics last year that all four years before put together he got me loving them buttons...... I hurt a lot of feelings last year lol

Calabash just keep doing what you doing brother I love hearing truth and you’re right when you’re right you’re right.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as Crocs are concerned, I would wear them if I had them. In a day when I walk into the grocery store and see people shopping in their PJs and slippers, why would I feel self conscious about wearing Crocs? FTR, I have been told to wear better shoes for medical reasons.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well crocs sure beat these rat slippers...

NINTCHDBPICT000611062543.png

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on AARC, you know the drill, no photos, it didn't happen. Let's see the crocs!!

Wow Gunsil... kinda kinky asking for pictures of my feet.

:)

:P~~~~~~~

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
That is a strange picture lol. “Would you mind helping me put my rat slippers on”? This is a funny thread, Its more about crocs than metal detectors. Lol. Calabash will have to do a croc video now. Lol. Keep up the great vids Calabash ..I love your rants.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who cares what shoe he is wearing ..

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(My rant) Sit back and look at the mechanical design on the majority of Minelabs though. GPX big boxes and weird audio/battery solution. SDC just weird to begin with, likely would sell more and cost less if more traditional. CTX overly beefy, heavy, Who uses the GPS? Sharp edges in the plastics that cut through the cables. Coil tabs that break. Superior electronics though no doubt in all models. Just took awhile to get it almost right with the Equinox. Maybe you are ok with IDs all over the place. Still, priced right for what it delivers. And how about coils? Why no *****ing about them in the discussion? Get coil variety up and pricing down. Is it really harder to make a coil than the electronics? - because that is how some are priced. Lastly, the user interface. Pick up a Whites Spectrum XLT and lets see you optimize the setup and get targets. It will, almost as well as today’s park models, but I wish I had the dedication it takes to figure all the options out. CTX was similar for me but I made better sense of it. Equinox I still don’t have ground balance and iron setting options figured out. We need better user interfaces. Its like what is happening to iphones - so many settings/functions it is tech overkill and the PHONE part isn’t getting better (will 5G be better?) As we get older this tech creep will get overwhelming. It got our parents and now its our turn unless we push for simplicity. Maybe US manufacturers are surviving in the US because their users know the interface and are hesitant to learn another?

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, I hit the like button yesterday but it wouldn't go in. Still don't see the crocs, on or off your feet. Rats pretty wild. Like button worked just now, you know I always reciprocate. Don't need to see any "chicken legs", take a pic with long trousers please.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, I hit the like button yesterday but it wouldn't go in. Still don't see the crocs, on or off your feet. Rats pretty wild. Like button worked just now, you know I always reciprocate. Don't need to see any "chicken legs", take a pic with long trousers please.

lol... the rat pic is from that show "Alaskan Bush People". heh

Um... now you wanna see me in long trousers... ?... :/

:P

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sad day that Tesoro went under....!

Thats a good point! I would like to buy a new metal detector, and I like the idea of the nox because it is waterproof. If it starts raining I like to keep hunting. But yet, I watch these guys on youtube doing live digs with these machines and they are pulling large wads of foil and zinc pennies. My Tesoro Tejon does not do these things and it's running on 18-year-old technology.

As far as Crocs go, down here where I'm at, that would be a no-go. We have rattlesnakes, and you never know if you're going to run into a bear with cubs or rabid coyotes. I wear Georga boots, the tall ones.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread