Kansas finds

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
Howdy gents. I used to live in Hays, but am originally from Phillipsburg. My great grandparents used to live in Pitts., but moved away in the 70s. Do you guys ever get up to the North central to Nw part of the state? I am in Nebr. now, but still go to Ks often. Good hunting there with all the old farms around, but usually not a lot of old stuff. Mostly 1900 or later it seems. Good luck to ya. merc

Hank

Oct 25, 2004
Charlotte,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH, Tesoro, et al
Howdy Gents,

I'm a Wichita, Kansas 'newby' from Las Vegas,NV. and retired. Not having much luck here...apart from attracting some interest by police. I imagine they haven't much to do on 'day shift'?

Has anyone searched/researched the early railroad construction campsites ? If my memory still serves me well, I think the Union Pacific RR started their westward lines from Topeka or thereabouts?

The Chinese were accustomed to burying their valuables wherever they camped. Lots of them were carried off by disease and accidents, so there must be considerable stuff near the surface on many of these sites.

I also read that there were numerous railroad camps that grew to a couple thousand or more, creating temporary towns with tent saloons/gamblers/prostitution and various opportunists. One place in particular seemed attractive, [in Utah somewhere] , where the writer said the silicon dust in this 'fly-by-night' town was 5 to 8 inches deep! This would be a THers dream location, eh?

Well, anyway partners........have van......can travel....play poker...shoot pool....cuss....and B.S. with the best. [espec.poker & pool]

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My oldest, with a date, is this 1839 half dime found at Fort Atkinson just west of Dodge City. I do have a Spanish 1/2 Reale found at an old Arkansas River crossing, but the date is long gone.

1839.jpg

Sorry the picture is not that good. It was done with a scanner

arnie161

May 26, 2007
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE / T2 / Garrett Ace 250 / White DFX 300 / F75
X-Terra 705 / E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
moving to Logan Kansas in 2 weeks, ill keep you posted, the oldest coin so far is a 1918 dime ,only detected a few times. :hello2:

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
Hey, thats my old stomping grounds. I am originally from Phillipsburg. There are a lot of old farms around the Logan area, which will be good for relic hunting.
The Logan lake just South of town, although kind of small, will probably be a decent spot for water hunting if you are into that. I remember that there were a few spots that we always fished and camped from on the East side.
The Dane G. Hansen museum should be a benefit for research as well.
Whats taking you to Logan?

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
is always good to hear`from othr KS detectorists and see the finds,Give Me motivation.
I am in Fort Scott,Ks Maybe exchange Emails and plan on a hunt,Fort Scot has at least 3 park sites dating back to abt 1900.
Happy Hunting,Mont

arnie161

May 26, 2007
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE / T2 / Garrett Ace 250 / White DFX 300 / F75
X-Terra 705 / E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds :icon_thumleft: , i have owned a house here in Kansas for 5 Years and finally moved here from colorado, know i will have more time to investigate the area. will post some finds as they come, still have about 20 boxes to unpack.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am up in the North East area...welcome

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from the Hays area and have been detecting seriously since about 1987 tho I bought my first detector as a kid when I was 13. It was a Bounty Hunter TR550D. I still have it tho it never did find much. I got into Whites with a 5900 and man what a difference. Now I am using an XLT and a DFX. I also use a Tesoro Tejon. My oldest find so far is an 1857 flying eagle cent. Another favorite is an 1876 seated liberty quarter that was made into a love token.

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
Boy Luke, I loved hunting around the Hays area. Too bad you cant hit Pioneer Park by Fort Hays. Doggone city ordinance on that. I hunted the old Chetolah site and found part of a brand, but not much else. Lived in Pfieffer for a time, and had some good times there around the church, and in a few yards. I know that the Post Office in Pfieffer had a pop machine in front of it, and a quick scan had numerous blips, but I didnt have the nerve to dig it up right there. Nothing I could see on the surface.
merc

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah the South Hays parks would be fun to hunt but I bet they are trashy for sure. Never have been down to Pfeifer, may have to mosey on down there sometime and see whats there.

Smallchange

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i live around 6mi north of winfield in cowley county and I have a buddy up in Rose Hill just south of Wichita that I hunt with, so Hank I think we are right up your alley partner wise. I personally havent found as much a silver coin yet cause for the last 5 years I have been playing with a bounty hunter(Pioneer 101). got it to find my arrows that strayed the target, and have found about every piece of junk in my yard that I could dig with it! I have just recently purchased an Etrac so the learning curv is huge for me. I know its an older post but I am game for a Hunt in SE Kansas.

UnrepentantSinner

Sep 12, 2012
NW KS
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT GOLD, AT PRO, TM-818, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in NW KS, haven't found anything good yet, but thats not stopping me from trying. Great finds

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting a now closed military base that started during WW2 and found this 1950 Indy 500 pit pass. The makers marks on the back make it authentic but who knows how it got there. Just never know what that next signal will be.

Attachments

• Indy pin.jpg
    Indy pin.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 155

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread