Keep digging modern clad?

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a small park with tons of modern clad all over very shallow in the ground.. Can barely go 10 feet without digging more..

Almost nothing very old and a lot that is very new.. Even quarters but mostly state quarter era stuff..

I think a layer of topsoil has been laid because once in a while I’m finding like a 8-10” aluminum can and the soil changes at that depth..

Found one kids ring.. Junk..
Wood chip areas around play equipment are incredibly clean..
Plenty of foil to dig.. Very few pull tabs but much can slaw..

Would you gladly dig modern clad like this all day though your pretty convinced their isn’t anything old, or would you call it and go somewhere else?

Upvote 5

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a fan of modern parks as a general rule. I'd rather hunt older areas that have a more likely possibility of pre-60's coins. If I just want modern coins, I might as well get a job.....:tongue3:

OP
OP
E

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep it on the back burner list as a good place to eventually take my grandkids when I get them started in the hobby, good area to teach them how to use a machine.

THIS is an excellent idea!
Great place to take the GF to teach her how to use machines, and keep her excited with “good” finds that keep on coming..

Excellent thinking!
I'm not a fan of modern parks as a general rule. I'd rather hunt older areas that have a more likely possibility of pre-60's coins. If I just want modern coins, I might as well get a job.....:tongue3:

Yeah.. I kindof don’t want to dig 50 holes in nice grass, infront of people, in public, for $2.50..

I thought this park might be good because their are many quite old trees in it and figured that would mean the ground hasn’t been replaced or covered or whatever..
Nope..

I’m really trying hard to find good places.. Old places..

The only good place I have found is more of an old hiking area, shooting/hunting area, and beer drinking area, but the terrain is so incredibly difficult that it has kindof been “closed” probably because people are soft these days and maybe because they don’t want to keep it up anymore..
The trails there have been moved to much less steep grades, instead of straight down the face of this infamously steep hill..

So yeah.. It’s difficult and a bit dangerous, famous for bears being there, extremely steep, and probably not the best place to be alone deep in the woods trying to wield a detector and wearing headphones..

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a small park with tons of modern clad all over very shallow in the ground.. Can barely go 10 feet without digging more..

Almost nothing very old and a lot that is very new.. Even quarters but mostly state quarter era stuff..

I think a layer of topsoil has been laid because once in a while I’m finding like a 8-10” aluminum can and the soil changes at that depth..

Would you gladly dig modern clad like this all day though your pretty convinced their isn’t anything old, or would you call it and go somewhere else?

Hunting a trashy park is way better than sitting at home and posting on Tnet! There may not be any older coins on the surface, but there is more than likely a lot of jewelry that you're passing up. If I don't have time to drive to my gold prospecting areas for nuggets, I'll hunt the trashy parks in my city. I usually find a lot of clad, tungsten rings and a lot of junker jewelry. But last night I found a gold-plated .925 ring with diamonds on a random line across a soccer field and the day before I found a large .925 cross on a silver chain at some parking meters set in grass. You have to dig a lot of targets to get better on your detector. All the clad and junker jewelry is just practice and stress relief.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you shouldn't even have to ask......

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If people are losing modern clad they could be losing rings and other jewelry. I'd keep that park as a backup for when you hit a dry spell and just want to go swing somewhere with guaranteed finds.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wav: I think you're all nuts! I'd gladly hunt that park until I picked every single coin, pull tab and signal out of the ground. When you start being that selective in this hobby, you will lose out on a lot of great finds. Just when you think you know what every target id is, fate steps in and surprises you with something you could never imagine. I do agree it would be an amazing location to get someone excited for the hobby though!

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are just a few of the things I've paid for with clad finds. I'll take all the clad I can get. The silver dimes were paid for with clad from 2015 and 2016. I doubt that there are many people who dig that many silver dimes in one season.

Attachments

• IMGP0682.JPG
    IMGP0682.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMGP0614.JPG
    IMGP0614.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1240.JPG
    IMG_1240.JPG
    582.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1246 (2).JPG
    IMG_1246 (2).JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 35

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are just a few of the things I've paid for with clad finds. I'll take all the clad I can get. The silver dimes were paid for with clad from 2015 and 2016. I doubt that there are many people who dig that many silver dimes in one season.
Including yourself..... Don't get me wrong, finding clad in the pursuit of older/better finds helps pay for the gas it took to get to the hunt site, but, hardly the target I'm hoping to find. As I pointed out earlier, if the goal is to buy silver, or, convert clad to something more desirable, getting a good paying job will accomplish that much easier. To me, detecting is a treasure hunt, not working for pocket change. To each their own though.....

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..... detecting is a treasure hunt, not working for pocket change. .....
Exactly my feelings.
I only detect for entertainment. Stabbing clad and other modern items just isn't enjoyable to me.
I only like hunting old coins and relics.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yes and No
Yes, because they (the clad coins) are spendable, and cleaning them before exchange, gives you something to do - I've resolved to doing the same kind of stuff (Work!), with the hope of finding that one real old coin, the one that truly must exist...! ...it has happened, it happened to me....!
No, don't give up! You seem to notice important things, things that make the difference, in becoming a successful TH-er...!
Go for it...! :icon_thumright:

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I personally agree that I would rather work an extra shift of overtime to make the same money it would take a whole Summer to accumulate digging clad. But I also see the point if someone is using the time spent for exercise and just getting out of the house... with a little profit to boot. My grandparents lived across the street from an elementary school and huge little league sports complex; my grandmother metal detected it almost daily for decades right up till her mid 80s. She accumulated well over a couple thousand dollars that she invested into her other hobbies (doll collecting).

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Including yourself..... Don't get me wrong, finding clad in the pursuit of older/better finds helps pay for the gas it took to get to the hunt site, but, hardly the target I'm hoping to find. As I pointed out earlier, if the goal is to buy silver, or, convert clad to something more desirable, getting a good paying job will accomplish that much easier. To me, detecting is a treasure hunt, not working for pocket change. To each their own though.....
Getting a good paying job is something you do to support you and a family if you have one, all throughout your life. Not only did I have a career, but I'm now retired. I don't look at detecting as "working for pocket change". My coin collecting hobby is funded by my income PLUS my disposable clad finds.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread