Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this yesterday... Do you think it is a civilian or military button? I can't make out any details on the front but maybe one of you guys will.
IMG_3836.JPG IMG_3837.JPG
The back reads KENDRICK & CO / WATERBURY. I'm not familiar with this back mark so I would appreciate any information on it. Thanks!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a picture for scale, the button is to the left of the largies.
IMG_3826.JPG

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In 40-something years of studying the Albert H. Albert book on American Uniform buttons, I'm pretty familiar with the various "emblem" buttons in it. Because there doesn't seem to be an American military button whose emblem includes a "central" octagon surrounded by a floral design, apparently your button is a civilian usage "Flower-button." The Kendrick & Co. Waterbury backmark's time-period is circa 1830s, which puts it squarely into what button-collectors call "the Golden Age" in the manufacture of extraordinarily ornate goldplated brass buttons.

Upvote 1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do think it is a civilian fashion button and would date to the mid to late 1830s when Kendrick & co. was active. Here is what McGuinn and Bazelon have in their book "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates".

"Kendrick & Co., Waterbury, Ct. Button makers c. 1830s, Probably the same firm as Ives, Kendrick & Co., composed of Green Kendrick & Ambrose Ives."
The reason I date the button to the mid to late 1830s is due to its two piece construction that first appeared during that time frame.

I see that TCG posted a reply quicker than me. You can take his word for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find Noah. :thumbsup:
My first thought was civilian as well, great info provided by TCG and fyrffytr1 offered above.

Great sites finds, love all of those 'holed' LC's!
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 40-something years of studying the Albert H. Albert book on American Uniform buttons, I'm pretty familiar with the various "emblem" buttons in it. Because there doesn't seem to be an American military button whose emblem includes a "central" octagon surrounded by a floral design, apparently your button is a civilian usage "Flower-button." The Kendrick & Co. Waterbury backmark's time-period is circa 1830s, which puts it squarely into what button-collectors call "the Golden Age" in the manufacture of extraordinarily ornate goldplated brass buttons.

I do think it is a civilian fashion button and would date to the mid to late 1830s when Kendrick & co. was active. Here is what McGuinn and Bazelon have in their book "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates".

"Kendrick & Co., Waterbury, Ct. Button makers c. 1830s, Probably the same firm as Ives, Kendrick & Co., composed of Green Kendrick & Ambrose Ives."
The reason I date the button to the mid to late 1830s is due to its two piece construction that first appeared during that time frame.

I see that TCG posted a reply quicker than me. You can take his word for it.
Thank you CannonballGuy and fyrffytr! I appreciate the responses!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Noah. :thumbsup:
My first thought was civilian as well, great info provided by TCG and fyrffytr1 offered above.

Great sites finds, love all of those 'holed' LC's!
Dave
Thanks Antiquarian, going back today so wish me luck!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread