Ken's 2017 CRH Log

OP
OP
K

kc7rad

Nov 13, 2005
Last weekend picked up two more boxes. This time they are from Wells Fargo in a larger city. Finished the first box last night.
Wheaties: 13
Canadian: 2

Was happy to find a 1918 wheatie and some MS65 (more or less) 1962D, 1981, 1973, 1969S and 1960D.

OP
OP
K

kc7rad

Nov 13, 2005
That second box, really box #3 for the year, was unremarkable...
Wheaties: 8
Canadian: 5

This box was a snoozer... Wheaties were mid 40s to mid 50s, fair to good condition.

But... The next box had a thriller find, for me anyway. Stay Tuned!

OP
OP
K

kc7rad

Nov 13, 2005
OK... Penny Box #4 of the year I bought from a US Bank in a small town near me; same place I bought box #1. Best box so far, IMHO:
Wheaties: 25
Canadian: 11

The "cool find" here was a 1958 wheatie in near-mint condition that appeared to be silver! After an evening researching and staring at the penny through a good magnifying glass, I determined the penny to be a sort-of "souvenir" penny. Apparently, since 1958 was the last year the US government minted wheat pennies, many companies plated them and they were sold as souvenirs and even made into jewelry. On the penny I found, the plating was not complete; there are places around the edge where the original copper is showing. Not worth all that much but is my best "penny box cool find" so far.

Also found a beautiful near-mint 1965 penny.

Definitely going to get more boxes from that bank!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread