Key and Lock

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello I'm pretty new to the hobby and have been on only four or five hunts at parks and my own backyard.Today at a friends house I found my first real fine in some woods next to his place .Next to a very large oak tree I got a really faint signal when I dug down at about 18 inches (which I thought was a lot deeper than my metal detector should be able to go agian I'm new )I found this key when I put the pin pointer back in the hole it hit on something else just an inch away from where the key was I found this lock.I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what type of key and lock this is as well is the best way to clean them.the key is much too large to fit into this lock it seems but it was right next to it .they were two other giant oak trees in the vicinity and I did not have time to search any longer do too the sunset settings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 92

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WELCOME to the forum. It looks like you've found a nice key to start out your new hobby. I would suggest photographing it beside a coin or something to give us a point of reference to size and/or tell us the size. If it is a smaller key, it appears to be for a drawer on a desk, server, secretary or the likes.

I'm not sure the top item is a lock. If you could do some more cleaning and take additional photos, that would be helpful.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME to the forum. It looks like you've found a nice key to start out your new hobby. I would suggest photographing it beside a coin or something to give us a point of reference to size and/or tell us the size. If it is a smaller key, it appears to be for a drawer on a desk, server, secretary or the likes.

I'm not sure the top item is a lock. If you could do some more cleaning and take additional photos, that would be helpful.

Breezie
thank you very much I will definitely do that.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's a huge key! Pretty cool looking too! You may have to do some careful cleanup on the other piece to see if there are any markings on it to help in the I.D.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since your first pic didn't have a size reference, I didn't realize it was that big. I think it would be worth it to use electrolysis on it.

Great key :)
Breezie

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
How heavy is the seatbelt looking thing? I'm wondering if it felt substantial enough to instead be a tooth from a backhoe or similar.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since your first pic didn't have a size reference, I didn't realize it was that big. I think it would be worth it to use electrolysis on it.

Great key :)
Breezie
I have already started the electrolysis process on both the key and lock the lock which is pretty heavy and has a small keyhole insert into the side is probably from the same period as the key because it was literally right on top of each other very weird that this key and lock would be next to each other and that the key does not operate this lock.the spot in which I'm hunting is probably within a half to three quarters of a mile away from an old Spanish mission.I will definitely get more pictures today of the key and lock once I get them cleaned up better.I'm going back out there today to do some more hunting hope I find something else.i will let you know.thanks for your help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's pretty darn heavy and it's definitely a lock of some sort but from the looks of it it looks like it could be a lock that sat up against or in between something.its got a rounded front and a flat back and then on each side they're too small little ledges as if molding or trim went off the same profile to the left and the right of it.Very cool. I will get more pictures to you today to check it out thanks for your help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have cleaned them quite a bit. Here is some new pictures. I was hoping to find out if anyone knew how old these might be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMGoodness what an outstanding lock and key. I'll do some research on them later this evening when I have more time.

Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMGoodness what an outstanding lock and key. I'll do some research on them later this evening when I have more time.

Breezie

Thank you so.much I went back out there today found a really cool old buckle which I'm cleaning now I'll post a picture of that later

Upvote 0

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chris, I never saw a lock and key like that??
Any wooden pieces or hinge or metal straps in the hole?
Keep probing, make the hole deeper/ wider.
Perhaps there is a treasure chest buried ??
Where did you find it? Ca, NM, Delaware, England ?
That would help in identification of your lock and key!
Any markings?

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been buying, selling, dealing with antiques & collectibles for 42 years, and I've never seen a lock this. I've keys like this, but not locks. It has a 18th century look to me. I'm still researching.

The key has a 19th century Georgian look.

Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Man that cleaned up nice! I don't think I've ever seen a lock like that! And you've got the key! Outstanding! I think I may have posted something about that first HOLLY S*** find, I think you've got one already! Once again, congrats, well done!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris, I never saw a lock and key like that??
Any wooden pieces or hinge or metal straps in the hole?
Keep probing, make the hole deeper/ wider.
Perhaps there is a treasure chest buried ??
Where did you find it? Ca, NM, Delaware, England ?
That would help in identification of your lock and key!
Any markings?

I'm located in Tallahassee Florida.they were new wooden pieces but there was a strap that's in one of the pictures.I like your idea of returning and taking a little deeper search in that vicinity a little more I'll do that this week.I found it not too far away from a old Spanish mission.probably about three quarters of a mile as the crow flies the lock definitely looks like it went up against something with a rounded trim to match the lock if you look at the lock you'll see little ledges at the top that look like it held it in place.also there's a little pen or something like that attached to the side.interesting.even though they were literally within an inch of each other in the hole the key does not fit the lock

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that's awesome thank you so much for your help.if you need any more information please let me know

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is there any chance the key is broken off in the lock ??? that round piece in the " lightning" shaped hole in the lock ????

Upvote 0

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Very impressive finds!
I've researched for hours online and cannot find anything on this lock. What is the dimension of the body and what is the inside diameter of the latch? I am flabbergasted!!! What a awesome find!!!!
On another note, is this cast?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread