sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have a little time before I have to work today. At the usual park and about 10 minutes into my hunt, I pull a clad dime from about 3" down in soft wet soil. I put it away and fill my small hole and rescan the area...another high tone (83). So I'm thinking dime-spill! Well, probably not a spill, but it was another dime. 1921-D Mercury dime! I screwed up and rubbed the obverse not thinking it would be key date lol. Errrrr!! It's in pretty darn good shape. I'm stoked. Hope to find another silver in the time I got left. HH all.

Sgt ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486667675.481413.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486667686.503330.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486667726.692490.jpg

Upvote 30
Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find! I don't want to sound preachy but i don't understand why anyone would rub any silver coin. even a rosie. What we do is, in essence, preserving history . it doesn't matter now but in a few hundred years, if people can still afford to collect coins, they may be happy you didn't rub it when you found it. HH

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find! I don't want to sound preachy but i don't understand why anyone would rub any silver coin. even a rosie. What we do is, in essence, preserving history . it doesn't matter now but in a few hundred years, if people can still afford to collect coins, they may be happy you didn't rub it when you found it. HH

Yeah thanks for the good tip buddy. I know rubbing silver coins is a NO NO...that's an obvious. I think I stated in my post that rubbed it because I didn't know it was a key date...but I should have said, "I rubbed it because I didn't think it was silver. It was on edge and the reeding had dirt so I assumed it was another clad...(since there was a brown 1985 right next to it dug earlier). All that aside, again I think anyone doing this hobby knows not to rub a known silver. Sorry to ruin your history!!! I love when folks get jealous and have to put a smart @ss comment in here! Ugh...whatever

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Yeah thanks for the good tip buddy. I know rubbing silver coins is a NO NO...that's an obvious. I think I stated in my post that rubbed it because I didn't know it was a key date...but I should have said, "I rubbed it because I didn't think it was silver. It was on edge and the reeding had dirt so I assumed it was another clad...(since there was a brown 1985 right next to it dug earlier). All that aside, again I think anyone doing this hobby knows not to rub a known silver. Sorry to ruin your history!!! I love when folks get jealous and have to put a smart @ss comment in here! Ugh...whatever

I don't think the original comment indicated any hint of jealousy. My first thoughts were exactly as his. Nobody should rub a silver coin. But after you explained it a bit more, I understand where you're coming from. I did the same with a seated dime that I thought was going to be a wheat cent. Sheer terror as I saw silver.

So let's keep this thread civil. It was a bit of a misunderstanding. So let's get back to the show folks!

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think the original comment indicated any hint of jealousy. My first thoughts were exactly as his. Nobody should rub a silver coin. But after you explained it a bit more, I understand where you're coming from. I did the same with a seated dime that I thought was going to be a wheat cent. Sheer terror as I saw silver.

So let's keep this thread civil. It was a bit of a misunderstanding. So let's get back to the show folks!

I agree bud. I'm sorry to everyone for getting upset. I can't stand lectures and comments that don't need to be said!! Of course you shouldn't rub a silver!!! That's a given! But I screwed up with how I wrote the original post. Yeah I don't care if it's a 1964 Rosie. Hands off ;)

Anyways, sorry again! I'm a hot headed ex Marine and sometimes people get me going! But I probably misunderstood on my end too! Back to it :) HH

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So for those of us who are not in the loop, what is the big deal rubbing a silver coin?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So for those of us who are not in the loop, what is the big deal rubbing a silver coin?

Easy. DIRT SCRATCHES. I found not one but TWO 1926S dimes. Because I scratched them by seeing if they had an "S" I only got 100.00 each for them. That was in the 1990's. I was told I would have got double that if I didn't rub the dirt off. I never rub a ground find anymore. Goes in a bottle of olive oil immediately.

Nice score!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the 21d. Sweet find.
I never sell a silver coin that I have dug. I do know, in order to get top dollar, a coin should be graded and encapsulated. Most coins that are "DUG" will get an "Environmental Damage" tag.
That "Tag" will now cause the coin to be worth about 10% of what the Red Book says it is worth in that grade. In other words, a dug coin in extra fine condition that would normally be listed for a value of $100.00, is now worth $10.00 because of the Environmental Damage tag.
I never intentionally damage a coin, but I have hit a few with my lesche. I just love it when someone has to point it out when I post my find.
Next time you want to sought out all the people who you won't invite over for BBQ, just tell us that you rubbed your coin. lol

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Great find.

I got my indoctrination about not rubbing coins with my last Barber half. 1904S, great details, and I am sending it in for cleaning and slabbing.

I did not rub it in the field, but I got a little happy with it while rinsing it under running tap water.

Just a soft toothbrush, but I was horrified when I realized what I was holding.

You will never rub another coin, I am thinking.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coin looks beautiful and any hairlines from the rubbing are not noticeable in the pic.

In response to the guy who said this is only worth 10% of catalog value due to environmental damage - nope, that only goes for dug coppers (and then only if they're pretty beat up.) This coin should still easily get Fine money as it's a beauty! It's better than the 21-D I dug back in May of '15 and left a tiny scratch across the head... still wonder how it got there and kicking myself for it!

Also, rubbing under running water or even rubbing a clean coin with your finger is not nearly as bad as rubbing off the dirt. What you want to avoid is rubbing the dirt off the coin because that leaves hairlines and occasional scratches.

Congratulations on a BEAUTY of a dig!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the very nice silver find! :occasion14:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your killing it there.Got to get over there for a hunt I'll be at CRMC tomorrow might have to hit it for a little while when I'm done.

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could tell you stories of loss and damages that would make you heartsick. Stories of loss and pain that would make you lose your sanity or will to live. Stories so cold and desolate that the universe would never turn a rosy cheek to you ever again.

Your scratched dime ain't so bad. Nice finds!

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easy. DIRT SCRATCHES. I found not one but TWO 1926S dimes. Because I scratched them by seeing if they had an "S" I only got 100.00 each for them. That was in the 1990's. I was told I would have got double that if I didn't rub the dirt off. I never rub a ground find anymore. Goes in a bottle of olive oil immediately.

Nice score!

Thank you! Yeah I screwed up by giving it one quick sweep of the thumb, but oh well. It's not ruined! The coin actually has some pretty even wear to it but is in pretty good shape on both obverse and reverse. I'm HOPING to get an F12 or better grade on it. I've never had anything graded before, but I think this one deserves to be graded and enclosed.

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the 21d. Sweet find.
I never sell a silver coin that I have dug. I do know, in order to get top dollar, a coin should be graded and encapsulated. Most coins that are "DUG" will get an "Environmental Damage" tag.
That "Tag" will now cause the coin to be worth about 10% of what the Red Book says it is worth in that grade. In other words, a dug coin in extra fine condition that would normally be listed for a value of $100.00, is now worth $10.00 because of the Environmental Damage tag.
I never intentionally damage a coin, but I have hit a few with my lesche. I just love it when someone has to point it out when I post my find.
Next time you want to sought out all the people who you won't invite over for BBQ, just tell us that you rubbed your coin. lol

Hahaha, yeah this is going to be my new inside joke for TNet. I agree: don't need people pointing out my small, obvious mistakes. It just gets me fired up!

Yeah i think I'll get this baby graded just to see what it comes out as! Hoping for a F or VF but who knows....I did rub it and talked a lil dirty to it! I'm sure the graders will know ;) hahahaha. I probably won't sell. It'll be a great addition to my collection. I couldn't sell that thing just to make a tank of gas. Nope nope nope...

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Key Date Merc! :occasion14:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin looks beautiful and any hairlines from the rubbing are not noticeable in the pic.

In response to the guy who said this is only worth 10% of catalog value due to environmental damage - nope, that only goes for dug coppers (and then only if they're pretty beat up.)
What I know for a fact is that once a company like PCGS grades and slabs a coin and includes an "Environmental Damage" tag, it will only be worth 10% at auction. I don't agree with this practice but at most auctions held by Heritage Auctions, that is the result. (Stacks won't even handle a graded Environmental Damage coin). Don't forget, when a grading company examines a coin for grading, it is examined under magnification. All pock marks that are caused from moving around in the soil over the years due to frozen and thawing out of ground activity is evident. ALL SILVER COINS THAT HAVE BEEN IN THE GROUND FOR YEARS HAVE THIS TYPE OF ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE TO SOME DEGREE. If you don't believe me, that's fine. It's a simple thing to call any coin dealer for information about Environmental Damage caused to DUG silver coins. They kind of hate that word, DUG. lol
I saw a rare silver Half Dollar that was graded and tagged "Environmental Damage" AU58. It was graded by PCGS. Their grade is Gospel. That coin was listed in the Red Book at AU58 as a coin worth $45,000.00 When it went to auction that was held by Heritage Auction, it realized a selling price of $4,500.00 That is 10 % of the Red Book estimated value and was because of the "Environmental Damage' tag.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread