WestTexasHunter

Greenie
Jan 7, 2020
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret 300, And my eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Is it possible Jesse James hid anything in New Mexico?
2. Anyone ever find any connection to KGC and New Mexico?
3. Lets say all the stories of Maximilan's treasure are fake. Would the KGC have helped him leave Mexico with his gold.... for a fee?

Been working on a theory for a while now. My resources for research are pretty limited here. And if you try searching for anything about New Mexico, all you get is Forrest Fenn crap.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, the Google search engine has lost its effectiveness all right. It's harder to find things than it used to be.

Of course, it can't be verified, but anecdotal evidence alleges that Jesse James and/or his KGC associates spent considerable time in New Mexico, often near where mining activities were. Following are a few stories, all reported by folks who claim to have positively identified Jesse.

- Jesse frequently stayed at the St James Hotel in Cimmaron NM. Supposedly, newspaper articles reported his stays.
- Jesse and William Bonney were seen at the Old Adobe Hotel in Hot Springs NM by Governor Otero, as reported in a local paper.
- Jesse was seen gambling in a saloon in Hillsboro NM. The report was in a Smithsonian Writer's Project interview from an old timer who was there.
- Jesse was seen all over the SW New Mexico mining districts - Carlisle, Pinos Altos, Silver City and others.
- Jesse was mentioned in Further Recollections of a Western Ranchman, being active near Mogollon and Alma.
- An old treasure hunter who died in the early 2000s told of John Trammel visiting his father near Clovis NM, wanting help locating a JJ treasure he helped bury many years prior.
- The old guy above alleges that Jesse was a silent partner in the Southern Hotel in Silver City NM, a place he frequently stayed.
- As you mentioned, Jesse is allegedly linked to the Doc Noss/Victorio Peak fiasco (Maximilan's treasure being a part of the Noss scam).

It's possible that at least some of these tales are true. IMO, the Organization (whatever it was and whomever was/is involved with it) did hide precious metal in New Mexico in years gone by. IMO, some of the better known legends are likely based on some truths, but are intentionally corrupted in order to divert curious searchers in the wrong direction. While the old newspapers often list prominent citizens who were members of the formalized KGC political group, IMO possible treasure-related operatives in New Mexico may have included Noss (rogue), Gus Raney and C. Amory Stevens.

Good luck.

OP
OP
W

WestTexasHunter

Greenie
Jan 7, 2020
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret 300, And my eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Google search engine has lost its effectiveness all right. It's harder to find things than it used to be.

Of course, it can't be verified, but anecdotal evidence alleges that Jesse James and/or his KGC associates spent considerable time in New Mexico, often near where mining activities were. Following are a few stories, all reported by folks who claim to have positively identified Jesse.

- Jesse frequently stayed at the St James Hotel in Cimmaron NM. Supposedly, newspaper articles reported his stays.
- Jesse and William Bonney were seen at the Old Adobe Hotel in Hot Springs NM by Governor Otero, as reported in a local paper.
- Jesse was seen gambling in a saloon in Hillsboro NM. The report was in a Smithsonian Writer's Project interview from an old timer who was there.
- Jesse was seen all over the SW New Mexico mining districts - Carlisle, Pinos Altos, Silver City and others.
- Jesse was mentioned in Further Recollections of a Western Ranchman, being active near Mogollon and Alma.
- An old treasure hunter who died in the early 2000s told of John Trammel visiting his father near Clovis NM, wanting help locating a JJ treasure he helped bury many years prior.
- The old guy above alleges that Jesse was a silent partner in the Southern Hotel in Silver City NM, a place he frequently stayed.
- As you mentioned, Jesse is allegedly linked to the Doc Noss/Victorio Peak fiasco (Maximilan's treasure being a part of the Noss scam).

It's possible that at least some of these tales are true. IMO, the Organization (whatever it was and whomever was/is involved with it) did hide precious metal in New Mexico in years gone by. IMO, some of the better known legends are likely based on some truths, but are intentionally corrupted in order to divert curious searchers in the wrong direction. While the old newspapers often list prominent citizens who were members of the formalized KGC political group, IMO possible treasure-related operatives in New Mexico may have included Noss (rogue), Gus Raney and C. Amory Stevens.

Good luck.

I don't believe the Victorio peak fiasco was related to Maximilian. granted all of the stories I have heard and read never stated exactly what it was that he lost, but I don't believe it would have been gold bars. and I really don't think it would have been raw ore. what I believe is it was coin...and a lot of it. in fact im not real sure what to think about the victorio peak story, other than its a good story. This next weekend as long as the weather holds out, we will either have some answers or a whole lot more questions..... either way we are really close!!!

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't believe the Victorio peak fiasco was related to Maximilian. granted all of the stories I have heard and read never stated exactly what it was that he lost, but I don't believe it would have been gold bars. and I really don't think it would have been raw ore. what I believe is it was coin...and a lot of it. in fact im not real sure what to think about the victorio peak story, other than its a good story. This next weekend as long as the weather holds out, we will either have some answers or a whole lot more questions..... either way we are really close!!!

IMO, the VP story was a scam. I've detailed my reasons numerous times in the VP threads. If you read the first book of the Gold House trilogy - which ironically was supposed to support the Noss family allegations - you'll see plenty of evidence that will raise doubts.

Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-Fisher 2 box & others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are both wrong. The book: "100 Tons of Gold " by David Leon Chandler tells the REAL actual story of the
Doc Noss / Victorio Peak treasure. I have a copy, but this book is super rare now days.
What's left of the treasure is no longer in the peak anymore. 92 bars of gold were buried "outside" of the mountains.
This is a huge complicated story that has been terribly re-told so many times it has become very mushy.
I may post more about this in the future. I was involved in this treasure for 20 years and I can honestly say that
I may be one of the last to know many unknown details about it. ( Note: It is very dangerous to go looking for these bars if you aren't careful...it could cost you! Your life! ) I am 75 years old as of Nov. 2022

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are both wrong. The book: "100 Tons of Gold " by David Leon Chandler tells the REAL actual story of the
Doc Noss / Victorio Peak treasure. I have a copy, but this book is super rare now days.
What's left of the treasure is no longer in the peak anymore. 92 bars of gold were buried "outside" of the mountains.
This is a huge complicated story that has been terribly re-told so many times it has become very mushy.
I may post more about this in the future. I was involved in this treasure for 20 years and I can honestly say that
I may be one of the last to know many unknown details about it. ( Note: It is very dangerous to go looking for these bars if you aren't careful...it could cost you! Your life! ) I am 75 years old as of Nov. 2022
Great book! That’s how I first learned about it. It was in my high school library.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread