OP
luckysgirl

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: KKK Token

Thanks Jeff...just sent them an email! I have already had someone offer me $300.00 sight unseen ...that is why I want to find out the value of it.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also found a KKK token. On mine the KKK is cut out and It was not on the token site for such items. Later on when I dig it up I will also post a photo.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

jimb said:
I also found a KKK token. On mine the KKK is cut out and It was not on the token site for such items. Later on when I dig it up I will also post a photo.

Does it also have the words "Member in Good Standing" and a blank reverse? If so, it's probably the variety cataloged as #KK-305 in Birdsell's Ku Klux Klan Tokens. Here's the listing:

"Not authenticated. Suddenly appeared on 1975 market in quantity; seen at one show mized with variety of identical style pieces designed with cut through swastika, peace symbol, bawd house, et al. One dealer solemnly stated that he understood this item had been used at one time by a Louisana Klan. Manufactured with hole punched. Also manufactured with clasp pin soldered on reverse. Blank reverse. Brass; 46 mm."

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

PBK said:
jimb said:

Does it also have the words "Member in Good Standing" and a blank reverse? If so, it's probably the variety cataloged as #KK-305 in Birdsell's Ku Klux Klan Tokens. Here's the listing:

"Not authenticated. Suddenly appeared on 1975 market in quantity; seen at one show mized with variety of identical style pieces designed with cut through swastika, peace symbol, bawd house, et al. One dealer solemnly stated that he understood this item had been used at one time by a Louisana Klan. Manufactured with hole punched. Also manufactured with clasp pin soldered on reverse. Blank reverse. Brass; 46 mm."

They also had a small pocketknife with KKK come out about the same time.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

The flood of historical items in 1975 were created for sale during the US bicentennial. Some of the manufacturers honestly called their products copies, facsimiles or fakes but since they were not required to be marked as copies under the law once they were sold many of them gained pedigrees and back stories and were sold by crooks as genuine articles through estate auctions or flea markets.
Laws now require honest fakes to be marked "COPY" but crooks will remove that mark or cover it with dirt or tar. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
luckysgirl

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I am charging batteries now to post a picture tonight. I am positive that this token is authentic. I dug this at an abandoned house, out in the country, about 5 inches deep underneath a big tree. Indiana is notorious for being a leader in KKK activities back in the day and the community that I live in has lots of history documentation at the historical society to validate. Plus the "old timers" still remember and talk about it. On the front of my token it has a klansman riding a horse carrying a burning flag with the saying...."Non Silba Sed Anthor" meaning..."not for self but for others" and date stamped 1922. On the reverse is a catholic poem reading......"I would rather be a klansman in a robe of snowy white--than a catholic priest in a robe as black as night--For a klansman is an American and America is his home, but the priest owes his allegiance to a Dago pope in Rome.
I believe it sounds as though originally that the KKK was fighting against immigration.

OP
OP
luckysgirl

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Hopefully this worked...it should be the front of the token.

Attachments

• kkkfront.JPG
    kkkfront.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 4,226
OP
OP
luckysgirl

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

and here is the back....

Attachments

• kkkback.JPG
    kkkback.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 3,205

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The only KKK token reference I have is the 1977 Ku Klux Klan Tokens booklet by Research Associates of Grand Bay, AL. In it, your piece is catalog numbr KK-215*, the asterisk indicating "Not Authenticated" which I would take to mean that it is uncertain whether the piece was KKK-sanctioned. The suggested value guide in the back of the booklet indicates $30. Of course a lot has changed since 1977...
John in the 208

Pugsley

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same coin but in solid silver. I located the silver version in the Birdsell catalog and it too was # kk-215 but with no asterix. I have proof since mine has actually been handed down for 4 generations starting with my great grandfather who was an Grand Wizard but still no idea on value or where to figure it out. Everytime I post it I get people saying immediately that it is a fake reproduction piece but its been in my family for well over 100 years. Anymore info on this? image (8).jpeg image (6).jpeg

Nicholas

Jul 15, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher f-2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should put it back where found it, thats where it belongs.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should put it back where found it, thats where it belongs.

...That is the weakest thing I have ever heard, and would not expect it here.

Shine the bright light of truth on the token. Display it. Show it off. Talk about it.

"This how people lived" sort of thing.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eh... creepy. And the link from the website is clearly from a KKK member/supporter. I think I find Nazi memorabilia less distasteful. But only by a little.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally distaste any British coin.

After all, we all know how many innocent people they killed. Countless invasions of nations to exploit their natural resources. How many dead throughout the ages?

Everyone should have their tastes - Would we be so loudly opposed to a Genuine Genghis Khan token, or memorabilia? I think not. Most would appreciate the history ( and history lost ) due to this tyrant.

It's probibly "too soon" for anyone interested in WW2 German coins, or KKK tokens to not be taken as a racist. But...seriously people...This stuff is interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread