Knife River Flint: first examples in my collection

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My modest collection is predominately NYS/PA/OH, with lots of gray Onondaga Chert of course. But a recently acquired collection included the 4 pieces shown here. The box they were in was labeled 'Kyle, Alberta.' I believe they're Knife River Flint; translucent, 'root beer' color; glass-like. Largest is 1.2 inches: nice variety; thumb scraper, side-notched, corner-notched, birdie. I'll put them in their own display case. It was a good acquisition!

Attachments

• 4 KRF.jpg
    4 KRF.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Thums 2.jpg
    Thums 2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 25
  • translucent.jpg
    translucent.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 5

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KRF is interesting material. A cattail swamp was buried and on its way to becoming coal. It was then covered with volcanic ash which provided silica. The cattail swamp then turned to silicified lignite. After that, an erosional event occurred breaking up the swamp and pushing it into Dunn and Mercer counties in N. Dakota. The nodules of KRF are found in the soil. The whitish specks in the flint are remains of cattails. KRF is as good as flint gets for projectile points and durable tools. Tools that have been around since paleo times usually get a white patina.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KRF is interesting material. A cattail swamp was buried and on its way to becoming coal. It was then covered with volcanic ash which provided silica. The cattail swamp then turned to silicified lignite. After that, an erosional event occurred breaking up the swamp and pushing it into Dunn and Mercer counties in N. Dakota. The nodules of KRF are found in the soil. The whitish specks in the flint are remains of cattails. KRF is as good as flint gets for projectile points and durable tools. Tools that have been around since paleo times usually get a white patina.
Most interesting. I like these artifacts even more now. :)

Mortenson

Jun 11, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really some beautiful material. Has to be near the top of the list for many collectors. Nice pieces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread