Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tired of digging clad and pull tabs, so I decided to go find something a bit more interesting. Went up into the mountains on this beautiful sunny day and looked along one of the old rail beds.

Got a couple of big iron signals like railroad spikes and even ox shoes. Then I got a real loud high tone that was super strong. Only a couple inches under the surface was this Knights of Pythias Uniform Rank belt buckle.

28nov21 hunt1.jpeg
28nov21 hunt2.jpeg
28nov21 hunt4.jpeg

Kept looking around the area and dug a few old tobacco cans, then found the K of P buttons. Also found some other clothing hardware.

28nov21 hunt5.jpeg
28nov21 hunt6.jpeg
28nov21 hunt3.jpeg

Not sure of the age of these, so any input is welcome!

Upvote 19

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tired of digging clad and pull tabs, so I decided to go find something a bit more interesting. Went up into the mountains on this beautiful sunny day and looked along one of the old rail beds.

Got a couple of big iron signals like railroad spikes and even ox shoes. Then I got a real loud high tone that was super strong. Only a couple inches under the surface was this Knights of Pythias Uniform Rank belt buckle.

View attachment 1993739 View attachment 1993740 View attachment 1993741

Kept looking around the area and dug a few old tobacco cans, then found the K of P buttons. Also found some other clothing hardware.

View attachment 1993744 View attachment 1993745 View attachment 1993746

Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1993739 View attachment 1993740 View attachment 1993741

View attachment 1993744 View attachment 1993745 View attachment 1993746

awesome buckle, cleaned up very nicely. Well done indeed

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice.

That buckle came out of the ground in amazingly clean condition. :icon_thumright:

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! I found one just like it last year. Also found the hilt of a KOP sword, and a hat device. I'm hoping the rest of the sword is still out there.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I found one just like it last year. Also found the hilt of a KOP sword, and a hat device. I'm hoping the rest of the sword is still out there.
Nice! I was hoping that sword would be around there somewhere. I dug every signal within a 50 foot circle! Any idea of the age of the buckle?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool find! Backmarks on those buttons would nail down the date range. My hunch is 1880-1910. Can you see the backmarks on the buttons?

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool find! Backmarks on those buttons would nail down the date range. My hunch is 1880-1910. Can you see the backmarks on the buttons?
The backs are gone from both buttons.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool items.

The date for the buckle can be nailed down a bit, I think. It has a maker mark for “The Pettibone Mfg. Co.”

It’s not a well-documented company but most sources agree it was established in Cincinnati in 1872 by James Pettibone, after he took over John Boner’s military goods store where he had previously worked as a clerk. At some point in time, the company changed name to “Pettibone Bros. Mfg. Co.”

Many sources (probably all feeding off the same incorrect assumption) say this refers to James’ brother (actually his half-brother) William C Pettibone joining the business, but that doesn’t fit with their known genealogy. William C died in 1879, and the name change to include reference to “brothers” happened at least 12 years after that. It was certainly in use after James died in 1903, but he came from a large family and the business may have been inherited by other “Pettibones”.

Nevertheless, from their patent applications, catalogues and other publications (some dated and some not) it can be said that the company was still using the name “The Pettibone Mfg. Co.” until at least 1892 but had changed to “Pettibone Bros. Mfg. Co.” by 1905. There is a dated publication for 1892 that has no reference to “brothers” in the company name and a publication believed to be c.1892 with the “brothers” reference, so that seems to be a possible approximate cut-off date for the name change.

That would potentially put the buckle between 1872-c.1892 (and definitely not later than 1905).

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice indeed on the recovery of the buckle and buttons.
The one pic of the button is blurry (#4) have you another picture of the button that could share?

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool buckle! I feel sorry for people with a lisp pronouncing it.

aj

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool items.

The date for the buckle can be nailed down a bit, I think. It has a maker mark for “The Pettibone Mfg. Co.”

It’s not a well-documented company but most sources agree it was established in Cincinnati in 1872 by James Pettibone, after he took over John Boner’s military goods store where he had previously worked as a clerk. At some point in time, the company changed name to “Pettibone Bros. Mfg. Co.”

Many sources (probably all feeding off the same incorrect assumption) say this refers to James’ brother (actually his half-brother) William C Pettibone joining the business, but that doesn’t fit with their known genealogy. William C died in 1879, and the name change to include reference to “brothers” happened at least 12 years after that. It was certainly in use after James died in 1903, but he came from a large family and the business may have been inherited by other “Pettibones”.

Nevertheless, from their patent applications, catalogues and other publications (some dated and some not) it can be said that the company was still using the name “The Pettibone Mfg. Co.” until at least 1892 but had changed to “Pettibone Bros. Mfg. Co.” by 1905. There is a dated publication for 1892 that has no reference to “brothers” in the company name and a publication believed to be c.1892 with the “brothers” reference, so that seems to be a possible approximate cut-off date for the name change.

That would potentially put the buckle between 1872-c.1892 (and definitely not later than 1905).
Excellent research my friend!

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool items.

Thank you, I was hoping that you would respond. I appreciate it very much!

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed on the recovery of the buckle and buttons.
The one pic of the button is blurry (#4) have you another picture of the button that could share?

Attachments

• buttons1.jpeg
    buttons1.jpeg
    1,022 KB · Views: 34
  • buttons2.jpeg
    buttons2.jpeg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 44
  • buttons3.jpeg
    buttons3.jpeg
    977.6 KB · Views: 43

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! I was hoping that sword would be around there somewhere. I dug every signal within a 50 foot circle! Any idea of the age of the buckle?
The Uniformed Ranks were dissolved in the 50's but I think the stuff I found was late 1800's early 1900's based on other things found at the site. I found a knights of columbus gold ring and a masonic medallion at the same site, apparently it was a big meeting place for fraternal orders. Here is a website I found when researching the sword. http://kophistory.com/urkp/swords/index.htm

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Uniformed Ranks were dissolved in the 50's but I think the stuff I found was late 1800's early 1900's based on other things found at the site. I found a knights of columbus gold ring and a masonic medallion at the same site, apparently it was a big meeting place for fraternal orders. Here is a website I found when researching the sword. http://kophistory.com/urkp/swords/index.htm
See Red coat's response above, if yours has a Pettibone makers mark you can nail it down pretty close.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread