traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it kind of got silent. If you go find cans of gold and need help carrying it, I have a strong back.:occasion14:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't get quite the same location, was off to the NW some. Maybe he wants a shallow cache?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But shallow metal detecting could pay off, out around fringe area of bunkers. From what the other Greek treasure hunter told me (dowsed maps for him years past) the fighters believed if gold was placed in 4 directions, it would throw off any dowsers. They called this "putting gold at the 4 corners".

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at distance scale on map, needs zooming in more. From what I'm getting, must be a lot of archaeological or possibly stone markers around his area (green line).

Attachments

• ge-map-Au-crop.jpg
    ge-map-Au-crop.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 46

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marked some ancient sites. Not going to help you find guerrilla fighter gold sovereigns... but might be interesting just to take a look.

Attachments

• map3-ancient.jpg
    map3-ancient.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 38

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yasoo Christos,
I had the fortune of living in Volos for a year and visited Thessaloniki a few times. So much history. Every time the road crews were working on the road out of Athens they had to stop to let the Archeologists do their thing. We were there prior to the Olympics and the ancient things they found while expanding the metro were fantastic.
I hope you found what you were looking for.
Good hunting.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cuda74

Full Member​

Jan 9, 2021112333North GaDetector(s) usedTesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600Primary Interest:All Treasure Hunting
Yasoo Christos,
I had the fortune of living in Volos for a year and visited Thessaloniki a few times. So much history. Every time the road crews were working on the road out of Athens they had to stop to let the Archeologists do their thing. We were there prior to the Olympics and the ancient things they found while expanding the metro were fantastic.
I hope you found what you were looking for.
Good hunting.

That area has some unique fossil finds also (larger size viper and turtle shells) which you don't find other places.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The sediments around the Thessaloniki in Northern Greece are full of spectacular fossils of tortoises that exceeded 1 meter in length. Although these fossils have been noted since the beginning of the 20th century, only recently systematic excavations have revealed one of the most complete fossil records in Europe. This project aims to complete the preparation of recently excavated material (2 individuals), as well as the excavation of at least 4 new tortoises that have been located and mapped. The new material will add valuable information to our knowledge, providing a full account of the anatomy of these tortoises. This will allow the detailed documentation of various ontogenetic stages as well as their sexual dimorphism. Also, it will be possible to trace in detail their evolutionary history and relationships.
Although currently found on vertical slopes on famous beaches on both sides of Thermaikos Gulf, more than 2.5 million years ago the environment was completely different. The Gulf was not present, and a vast land connected Thessaloniki with the foothills of Mount Olympus. The description of fossils from both sides, will allow the reconstruction of this extinct paleoenvironment. Ultimately, we seek to answer whether these tortoises were more similar to insular forms (e.g. Galápagos) or to continental species (e.g. Africa). The titanic chelonians from Thessaloniki are among the last surviving large European tortoises, before they become extinct with the onset of the Ice Ages. The new material is expected to help understanding the reasons that led to this extinction.
… Read more

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
kristoz, your spot its a ring (mirror)
Follow the line and you will be happy :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• xristosz-pounds.jpg