Ladies Barrel Racing 1st place German Silver Belt Buckle

Wosterb

Dec 13, 2021
I found the pictured belt buckle at South Dakota State Universary's old rodeo grounds in Brookings, SD
16397025572347671078032096951955.jpg
16397025834496447046738917093927.jpg

Upvote 17

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! Very interesting. It looks like something, (a horse ?) was once affixed to the front of the buckle. Maybe not. Hard to tell.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! Very interesting. It looks like something, (a horse ?) was once affixed to the front of the buckle. Maybe not. Hard to tell.
...Something like a cowgirl guiding her pony around the last barrel and pointing him home.
Knox Co. Nebraska. It’s almost like a class ring without a date. Someone won a buckle like that every year at the county fair...

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice save on the buckle. Congrats.

OP
OP
W

Wosterb

Dec 13, 2021
Yes there was a horse a lady and a rope. They were overlayed in a thin bright silver. But unfortunately, it has flaked off. It was more visable when I first found it.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buckle was awarded to a rider at the RODEO the COMSTOCK silversmiths might be able to tell you who it belongs to. Odd find being Cowboys/Girls love their buckles, a pride thing. It has an ID on it the "1st Knox County (L.R.R. (?))" what year? The Silversmith will likely know. Its missing the design from the center worn off or broke ,not sure.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a HUNCH, and I could be wrong, but I don’t believe that is a silver item. Anyway, that’s a really cool find.
aj

OP
OP
W

Wosterb

Dec 13, 2021
I have a HUNCH, and I could be wrong, but I don’t believe that is a silver item. Anyway, that’s a really cool find.
aj
It is German Silver from the commstock silver smiths. Says this on the back of the buckle. Germann silver is made out of copper, zinc and nickel and sometimes a bit of tin and lead. If this was not excavated from below ground, it would have been white metal. Ut excavated it shows alot of the copper color. There is no silver in German Silver also sonetimes called nickel silver.

OP
OP
W

Wosterb

Dec 13, 2021

...Something like a cowgirl guiding her pony around the last barrel and pointing him home.
Knox Co. Nebraska. It’s almost like a class ring without a date. Someone won a buckle like that every year at the county fair...
I agree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread