Lake Mead: this may Interest someone here - [update} #4 found

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I,m really surprised that only 4 have been found given the proximity to Las Vegas and the popularity of disposing of rival gang members in deep water at the time!
I think they are finding the ones that were in barrels or otherwise boxed up in some way. The bodies they aren't finding are the ones that were just weighted down, but still available for the fishies to nibble on. And that might be most of them. So let that be a lesson to you, people. When you dispose of a body in a body of water, it's best to leave as much of it as possible open to predation. You never know when that tightly sealed box you thought would never be found is...well, found. Lake levels drop. Salvage divers in the Shipwreck forum take vacations and dive in lakes with their families. Police drag the bottom for drowning victims. Anything can happen. You have to plan for these things. Remember: Sharks and alligators are your friends. Most of the time...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are finding the ones that were in barrels or otherwise boxed up in some way. The bodies they aren't finding are the ones that were just weighted down, but still available for the fishies to nibble on. And that might be most of them. So let that be a lesson to you, people. When you dispose of a body in a body of water, it's best to leave as much of it as possible open to predation. You never know when that tightly sealed box you thought would never be found is...well, found. Lake levels drop. Salvage divers in the Shipwreck forum take vacations and dive in lakes with their families. Police drag the bottom for drowning victims. Anything can happen. You have to plan for these things. Remember: Sharks and alligators are your friends. Most of the time...
Mississippi River is about 15 minutes from my house. BIG River,strong currents,suckholes,eddies. A mile wide and 50 feet deep.Only about 3 out of 10 bodies that go into the river are ever recovered, it,s full of snags,treetops,old nets and trotlines.Bodies get snagged and never float. Between the catfish,alligators,snapper and loggerhead turtles,crawdads,etc. Not much left to find if it goes down to low levels.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Mississippi River is about 15 minutes from my house. BIG River,strong currents,suckholes,eddies. A mile wide and 50 feet deep.Only about 3 out of 10 bodies that go into the river are ever recovered, it,s full of snags,treetops,old nets and trotlines.Bodies get snagged and never float. Between the catfish,alligators,snapper and loggerhead turtles,crawdads,etc. Not much left to find if it goes down to low levels.
One of the most sinister film openings I ever saw was the Burt Reynolds film "White Lightning", which was filmed in Arkansas near where you lived. The film begins with a wide shot of a bayou at sunset. Then a jon boat crosses the screen from right to left, paddled by a sheriff (played by Ned Beatty) and his deputy. As the jon boat crosses, you see a taut rope at the back of the boat, then another jon boat comes into view being towed by the first. Inside the second boat are two college age guys, facing each other while gagged and their hands tied in front of them, both struggling to get loose. The only sound is that of the oars being dipped into the water and the slow swamp music for the theme. This scene goes on for almost 3 minutes, with the sheriff and his deputy paddling through the bayou and towing the boys in the second boat. Not a word of dialogue. Then the sheriff finally turns his boat to the side and stops. The second jon boat glides past them and the turns to face them when the rope tightens. The sheriff picks up a shotgun, racks a shell into the chamber, aims toward the boat with the kids in it and fires a shot that hits right at the waterline of the boat, which begins to sink. The sheriff puts the shotgun down, cuts the rope then picks up his paddle and paddles off into the sunset with his deputy. Not a word of dialogue. That's gangsta. It's obvious that they did this because they knew no one would ever find any trace of the kids or boat. Swamp people. The mafia could learn a thing or two from them.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the most sinister film openings I ever saw was the Burt Reynolds film "White Lightning", which was filmed in Arkansas near where you lived. The film begins with a wide shot of a bayou at sunset. Then a jon boat crosses the screen from right to left, paddled by a sheriff (played by Ned Beatty) and his deputy. As the jon boat crosses, you see a taut rope at the back of the boat, then another jon boat comes into view being towed by the first. Inside the second boat are two college age guys, facing each other while gagged and their hands tied in front of them, both struggling to get loose. The only sound is that of the oars being dipped into the water and the slow swamp music for the theme. This scene goes on for almost 3 minutes, with the sheriff and his deputy paddling through the bayou and towing the boys in the second boat. Not a word of dialogue. Then the sheriff finally turns his boat to the side and stops. The second jon boat glides past them and the turns to face them when the rope tightens. The sheriff picks up a shotgun, racks a shell into the chamber, aims toward the boat with the kids in it and fires a shot that hits right at the waterline of the boat, which begins to sink. The sheriff puts the shotgun down, cuts the rope then picks up his paddle and paddles off into the sunset with his deputy. Not a word of dialogue. That's gangsta. It's obvious that they did this because they knew no one would ever find any trace of the kids or boat. Swamp people. The mafia could learn a thing or two from them.
I remember that scene.I had the same reaction too. There,s rumors from old days about things like that involving swamps,bayous and of course the rivers around here. Old time commercial fishermen had a remedy for people stealing fish from their nets. They,d lay for them,catch them in the act and wrap them up in the nets,dump them in. When the body came to light,it was just another case of a fish stealer getting tangled up and drowning. This actually happened in my lifetime,at last twice that I can recall.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, much of the western U.S. is on the verge of going dark and shutting down and leaving people without water. But on the bright side...

If the lake goes dry, just think about how many wedding rings will be found from all the impulsive, Las Vegas weddings over the decades! The passion was hot in Vegas. But by the time they got to the Hoover Dam it was cooler than Lake Mead.
I've heard that metal detecting is not allowed...what a bunch of bull pucky!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even easier! Don't kill nobody!

Another source is drowning victims on the river that nobody witnessed floating down. Not too far fetched! We picked up an old boy who was walking across the desert from the dams visitor center to where we gave him a ride at White Hills .

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

New discoveries on first set of skeletal remains found at Lake Mead​

Las Vegas police have contacted a woman to collect DNA samples because they believe her brother matches the description of the body that was found inside a barrel at Lake Mead

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Las Vegas police have contacted a woman to collect DNA samples because they believe her brother matches the description of the body that was found inside a barrel at Lake Mead

Angelino"Tats"Buscaglia!

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

"Brock said her brother was involved with the mafia, which may have had some connection to his disappearance."

Well, it's long shot, but I suppose it's possible...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Her brother matches a description of a fifty year old d.b.!?!? What's wrong with this statement!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread