Lake Meade, how come nobody cares

Status
Not open for further replies.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do care, what do you do about an extreme ongoing drought, the lake was last full in 2000, you can't tell millions of Americans to move either.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not much to be done about it. The lake was made in a time period of history where there was an unusual amount of rainfall/snowpack for the areas feeding the lake. That combined with years of mismanagement of water and poor farming practices mostly by the neighboring states that share it(nevada only uses 4 percent of what is pumped out of lake.) pretty much means its too late to do anything about it. something like 8 million people depend on that lake, I say its time for those 8 million people to live somewhere else that is able to support them without completely destroying the environment. Wipe out that dam and stop fighting mother nature, as it is a feeble battle that can not be won.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IF I was in the seats of power.
#1-Get rid of all the golf courses watering needs.
Play golf-but not enough water to grow food.
Priorities of the 2%

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 8.52.02 AM.png

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee what do I want them to do, SOMETHING, howā€™s that.
What is your suggestion the government do, 49er12?
SOMETHING, simple enough, I repeat something, if 8 million people depend on it, duh . Or is this just another overhyped subject. Come on now. Or is this or was a recreational lake or large pond, so what your saying to everyone depending on this water, it will be just find, whatā€™s factual so we can tell those, like the governor donā€™t worry about it

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think an article stated that 60% of the water or wastewater gets returned to the Lake.
So $hit in $hit out.
Have a tad bit of sewer with the swim.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start dredging canals along Interstates 80, 70 and 40 westward from the Mississippi River and Great Lakes region to the west and southwest. Move all that floodwater west, irrigate where necessary along the way. Might even save Californians from themselves. Trump could do it even if it saved California.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start dredging canals along Interstates 80, 70 and 40 westward from the Mississippi River and Great Lakes region to the west and southwest. Move all that floodwater west, irrigate where necessary along the way. Might even save Californians from themselves. Trump could do it even if it saved California.
your answer is to change ecosystems more and deplete water from another area? No we need to quit the crap practices of farming in arid areas, and stop having lawns and fountains in the dang desert....

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, move excess floodwater from the midwest. Use the word "conserve" the floodwater and you might feel better about it.
There is no such thing as "excess flood water". Floods happen, and are important part of many ecosystems we have ruined by preventing them or by diverting rivers. nature has a system, stop fighting it and work with it.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't shovel the snow off your sidewalk in the wintertime pal, you're changing the ecosystem.

I grew up in NYC and shoveled a lot of snow, oh the humanity!
lol moving snow while keeping it in the same run off area is vastly different than diverting water hundreds of miles.....

Edit also shoveling a lot of snow in nyc is a pretty funny statement.

Last edited:

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you don't understand sarcasm, that's ok.

How do you feel about going into African villages and helping the people get access to fresh water, is that OK?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you don't understand sarcasm, that's ok.

How do you feel about going into African villages and helping the people get access to fresh water, is that OK?
not if you are diverting water hundreds of miles to support life in a place that can't handle it without diverting that water. If you are talking digging wells and using it in the same place you removed it from then sure go for it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If this is important why does the state of Nevada or government not do anything about it, or isnā€™t this important educate us, thankyou
Who said nobody cares?

A synthetic aquifer is dependent on it's input.
Drawdown greater than input is going to create a deficit.
A society dependent upon and at the mercy of a snow pack , it's replenishment volume when and if each winter ; and then it's melt rate being stable as desired is gambling. Period.

But we must water our lawns. Wash our vehicles. Fill our swimming pools.

A resource exploited. Yet again.
Water wars out West are nothing new.
Look at the conflicts over the RioGrande's water since 1879.

Then look at the historic populace and societies of the S.W. and into California.
Crowding and creating a big footprint and nursing on resources harder than resources can provide for is not how ancient structures adapted to environments well.
Sure there were the Inca's and others that did. How'd that work out?

Go to a region with limited water and exploit all the water you can with no regard for it's source or of others reliant on it downstream or above the same aquifer.
Then act surprised when water volume is reduced below what it "should" be.....

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well than I guess we have to go back and blame the Romans because they pretty much perfected the aqueducts. Created a whole civilization and started screwing up the ecosystem.

I think the Mayans did a similar terrible job in Central America.

Probably all of mankind's achievements in an effort to make life better for future generations screwed with the ecosystem in one way or another. Hell, I retired from working at the Space Center, launched all those rockets, put up satellites that created the internet and smart phones.

My bad, I really regret it.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck they have dead bodies in containers for years waters nasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread